Stuffit Deluxe 7.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
See <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020919/sfth024_1.html"; target="_blank">here.</a>

Looks like a good update. 30% better compression. Not too shabby

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    You oughta see the compaints on VersionTracker. yeesh.

Currently, I've only seen one bug, and I don't know if it's the fault of the menu extra or my Massinova menu extra under 10.2.1: for some reason, my extras/clock area will either freeze, or quit and restart.

Otherwise, I rather like the new Stuffit, and I plan on taking advantage of StuffitX format. Hope to see developers putting out software in that now.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    There's one bug I found. In 10.2.1, after I upgraded the magic menu no longer wishes to work. Hope they get this fixed soon.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If the magic menu was a *.menu file, it's not going to work. Apple has said repeatedly that the APIs for *.menus are private and should not be used by third parties. In fact, Apple has blocked all third party .menu files from loading. Why? The *.menus tie into the SystemUIServer and if a third party is buggy or poorly written, it will not cleanly "unexpectedly quit" like bad apps would; rather, it can crash or freeze up the entire GUI.

Of course, some foolhardy developers (*cough* unsanity *cough*) have thrown caution to the wind and developed a hack to bypass the block. Remember, you use it at your own risk. If you use it and later your system gets screwy, it's your own fault.

Of course, I could be mistaken about Magic Menu being a .menu file. In that case, yeah, Stuffit needs to get out a patch ASAP!

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It is a .menu file.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    And it's quite assinine of Apple to withhold those APIs. Menulets are an excellent way of keeping information easy to access, and much more reliable for me than Docklets. I wish they'd just open that area up for developers to do the job right.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I think Apple is witholding API's if it isn't sure that they won't change. When OSX is finished and there is a way to go yet, I am sure they will release more API's.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I downloaded Stuffit Standard and now I can't decode binhex (.hqx) files... I quick check of the Stuffit Engine shows that the binhex CFM is an empty folder instead of a bundle/package, as is the bzip2 one and another format's...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Stuffit Deluxe 7.0 works really nice, and I like the new menu item. The one in 6.5.1 wasn't so good and even annoying since it would hide itself in other application than Finder.

The 7.0 package is totally worth the money.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    A question to those who've already bought 7.0:

When you do archive operations in the Finder, does it still give a modal dialog that completely locks up the Finder so you can't do anything (well, aside from switching to another app) while it's working?