Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Finder 10.5

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    "What is interesting about Leopard's Finder is that despite its appearance update and practical new features, there isn't a lot that has obviously changed."

You can say that again!

"There are lots of subtle, useful updates and new technologies."

Can you make symbolic links? Can you make hard links? Can you see how many links you have on a file?

Where is the "ADVANCED" button for system administrators?
  • Reply 102 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Can you make symbolic links? Can you make hard links? Can you see how many links you have on a file?

I never understood why Apple didn't make its Aliases use standard Unix soft links.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Quote:

Windows 95/98/Me promised to deliver preemptive multitasking, but the instability of the underlying system similarly meant that a crashing application would frequently take down the entire Windows session with an "illegal operation" error.

It's called "sanitizing the truth". While the above is true, what is deliberately omitted is that Windows NT had by 1997 already been on the market FIVE YEARS.

I thought AI was saying this in context with the old Mac OS. Then again, why mention Windows at all (and if necessary, then also note that Win NT got the functionality way back then).

ps. I found it very frustrating reading a PC Week article in 1995 which said something like "The OS/2 system's pre-emptive multitasking is more stable and works much more effectively than Windows 95's multitasking. However, Windows 95 is a better solution as it runs in 1MB of Ram, while OS/2 requires 4MB!. And if you need the stability, Windows NT can supply that". (and they forgot to mention that Windows NT required 8MB).
  • Reply 103 of 106
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Part of me is really disappointed in apple in not listening to users in adding tabs. They added tabs to the terminal so they obviously know they are needed in some places. Why not finder window?

I'm beginning to wonder,... All the major operating systems are taking up tabs in all their applications and are therefore ending up as one-window, one-app... Perhaps it is time for OSX to make the move to adding the menubar to the app instead of it sat at the top of the screen?

*runs and hides*

At any rate, fantastic informative and interesting article. Thanks!
  • Reply 104 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

The other way is dragging any file/foler to the terminal window, it'll display its full path.

This also works in most editable text fields, including editing fields in Safari like the one I am typing in now, and TextEdit.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniluzzu View Post

Hi!

Sorry for being picky, but you wrote that "By the late 90s, Apple renamed the latest version of System 7 to Mac OS 7.6, and then released successive versions under the names Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9." I clearly remember my old Macintosh LC 630 running Mac Os 7.5 . Am I wrong?

Congratulations on the article, it's really interesting!!

Yes, there was also 7.1 which is what I was running on my Centris 660AV. And then 7.5, as someone mentioned earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_7_(Macintosh)
  • Reply 106 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilen View Post

Wondering: Will the new Finder feature a cut/paste function for files (something like the one in Windows)?

Moving files without using the mouse, for example, would be alot easier that way.

I second that. I've been wanting cut for ages... It's so useful!