Apples deal with ATT

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
How long is appple's exclusive contract with ATT??

Does anyone know ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Steve knows
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    If I remember correctly, the deal specifies that Apple will:

1. Offer the current iPhone only through AT&T for 5 years from June, 2007

2. Not develop another GSM phone during the same time

In practice, I think this means AT&T only for 5 years, and possible after that as well, depending on what the market looks like in 2012.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    ATT will improve the wireless, Apple will improve the chip, then ATT the wireless, Apple the chip---and on and on........each iteration being a "must have"---

Very impressive, a very brilliant deal for each of them---

and for the consumer too---great technology, expensive, but great technology----
  • Reply 4 of 7
    So if Apple agrees to not develop another GSM phone, could they port the iPhone to CDMA and put it on Verizon or Sprint's network? What's stopping them from doing this if this is in fact true?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    My feeling is that ATT and Apple have a 5 year relationship---Apple would be foolish to try to cheat out of the deal----

It's great for Apple great for ATT which HAS to keep improving the network and great for the consumer---who will be getting the latest technology and what seems to be a very fair price.(unlimited data)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The iPhone is going to be like the iPod--every so often there will be a new phone with new features and new network changes---faster speeds etc

The new phones will be coming out on a regular basis --just like the iPods---

and all of us will want the latest phone----
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

My feeling is that ATT and Apple have a 5 year relationship---Apple would be foolish to try to cheat out of the deal----

It's great for Apple great for ATT which HAS to keep improving the network and great for the consumer---who will be getting the latest technology and what seems to be a very fair price.(unlimited data)

Its not cheating if theres no restriction in the contract. But AT&T would be foolish not to disallow Apple from going to CDMA. Sprint / Verizon are AT&T's rivals, regardless of what cellular technology they utilize.

There have to be a ton of covenants on the contract that force AT&T to continue to improve their network. The quality and quantity of these covenants are going to determine whether this is a great deal for Apple. If T-mobile / Sprint / Verizon move forward with aggressive 3G coverage and AT&T doesn't, as an AT&T subscriber (i.e. iphone customer) I'd be pissed.