It seems that Apple is letting a golden moment pass by

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Right now is the perfect time for apple to have introduced a new machine with 2 hard drives. With Leopard preinstalled and Time Machine requiring an external hard drive, this would have been an awesome combo. At the very least they should have introduced "Time Machine hard drives". They could even call them Time Machines. I just find it hard to believe that Leopard will be released with no new hardware to add on to the sale, what a missed opportunity. Then again there is still a bit more than 7 days to go.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Not a bad idea.

I'm wishing they release a new MacBook Pro with some of these on Leopard day:

1. 6 or 8GB RAM options

2. Optional Blu-ray drive

3. 2.8 Core 2 Duo Extreme(or 3.2)

4. Hi-Res 1080P screen standard

But obviously I'm reaching quite far as I know Apple won't give us a Blu-ray drive......yet, and 8GB RAM is probably too much for most people.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Right now is the perfect time for apple to have introduced a new machine with 2 hard drives. With Leopard preinstalled and Time Machine requiring an external hard drive, this would have been an awesome combo. At the very least they should have introduced "Time Machine hard drives". They could even call them Time Machines. I just find it hard to believe that Leopard will be released with no new hardware to add on to the sale, what a missed opportunity. Then again there is still a bit more than 7 days to go.....

XServe RAID.

People can BTO for a second drive.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I think they know they would get more bad press for that than good. Apple drive prices would have been astronomical, and then the fact that users are probably already going to complain about it. Using an external drive just to use a feature. I can see why they are not doing that. They have enough people trying to knock them off their lofty position as it is.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

I agree with your premise. I don't expect it to happen. With Steve Jobs recent comments regarding AIOs there would appear to be a snow balls chance in h@##.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

1. 6 or 8GB RAM options

Apple won't release a laptop with support for more than 4GB of RAM until Intel release a laptop chipset that supports more than 4GB of RAM. Perhaps around 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=66127

I made a similar post. Although ideally back-ups should be off-site, a dual drive machine would give either; resilience, speed or back-up depending on how it were configured.

iMacs, Mac Minis and possibly even MacBook Pros should all have two easily accessible hard drive bays.

The iMac looks fantastic until you realise that by the time you've hooked up a hard drive and USB hub (only 3 ports sucks) it looks like a bit of an eye-sore.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=66127

The iMac looks fantastic until you realise that by the time you've hooked up a hard drive and USB hub (only 3 ports sucks) it looks like a bit of an eye-sore.

It doesn't have to. I've seen pictures of a guys setup where he took standard hardware parts and bolted a bunch of stuff underneath his desk. I'd say his parts total was less than $70. I'm thinking about doing it myself.

Plus Belkin and some other companies make iPod docks that fit in standard 3-4 in holes. My goal is for a super clean iMac and Macbook setup by next year.

I don't think Apple really missed any opportunities. 2 drives doubles your chance for failure and doubles power requirements and heat. I'm ok with external drives myself.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't think Apple really missed any opportunities. 2 drives doubles your chance for failure and doubles power requirements and heat. I'm ok with external drives myself.

I agree. I've had two secondary internal HDD's go bad, one after only a short time. One of them (in one of my PC's) created so much of a problem, that machine is sitting here gathering dust. The other secondary internal HDD caused my Mac to act crazy and finally quit. I thought it was the primary, but when I took the secondary out, my Mac worked perfectly. That's just my experience.

I'm sure many users have had good luck with them.

I use two external HDD's (an iOmega and a La Cie) now and have had no problems.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Not a bad idea.

I'm wishing they release a new MacBook Pro with some of these on Leopard day:

1. 6 or 8GB RAM options

2. Optional Blu-ray drive

3. 2.8 Core 2 Duo Extreme(or 3.2)

But obviously I'm reaching quite far as I know Apple won't give us a Blu-ray drive......yet, and 8GB RAM is probably too much for most people.

That'd be a pretty nice machine.. I'm personally hoping to see a revised Mac Pro lineup..
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the screens already higher res then this?

1440 x 900 pixels

1680 x 1050 pixels

Besides, 1080p would only refer to TVs, because of how they draw the screen, which is different from how computers draw it.

Would love to see a reviesd Pro line up though.

Hay! 100 posts!
  • Reply 11 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I agree. I've had two secondary internal HDD's go bad, one after only a short time. One of them (in one of my PC's) created so much of a problem, that machine is sitting here gathering dust. The other secondary internal HDD caused my Mac to act crazy and finally quit. I thought it was the primary, but when I took the secondary out, my Mac worked perfectly. That's just my experience.

Possibly due to having the wrong jumper configuration? Older PCs can sometimes screw up with CS switch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

It doesn't have to. I've seen pictures of a guys setup where he took standard hardware parts and bolted a bunch of stuff underneath his desk. I'd say his parts total was less than $70. I'm thinking about doing it myself.

I don't know why Apple hasn't developed a hard drive that sits on the iMac's foot. An external drive there wouldn't really be that obtrusive plus the metal foot might help keep it cool. The stand isn't really designed for that as there's no place for the cables to go but with the iMac update so close to leopard where they are selling Time machine as the main attraction, it would've made sense. Maybe they don't want to encroach on companies like lacie's turf I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the screens already higher res then this?

1440 x 900 pixels

1680 x 1050 pixels

Besides, 1080p would only refer to TVs

1080p is the vertical resolution so it's 1920x1080. PC manufacturers have had displays that can go up this high for years. Only recently has the 17" model MBP gotten a BTO screen this high res.

1080p is also what computers can use as it's progressive scan. 1080i (interlaced) would be for TV screens.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, that seems to be Apple's MO.

Step 1: come up with awesome new idea.

Step 2: expect everyone to come around to Apple to get new idea.

Step 3: Microsoft copies new idea, sells it to the masses, and makes the real money off it.

The way it should work is this

Step 1: come up with awesome new idea.

Step 2: Apple brings new idea to everyone, not just those who agree with Jobs lock, stock, and barrel.

Step 3: Microsoft soils its shorts while Apple is making quarterly profits of close to $2 billion.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Possibly due to having the wrong jumper configuration? Older PCs can sometimes screw up with CS switch.

My bad. You caught me. I didn't realize the primary HDD had THREE settings. I hadn't changed the primary HDD to Master/Slave. I had left it on Master as I had in distant past on PC's. So, my configuration was Master and Slave instead of Master/Slave and Slave. It did work, if memory serves, for over a year. When the Slave became unstable, it affected the whole computer. However, that doesn't change the fact that the WD internal died. A tech at work said the Master/Slave fiasco caused the computer problem, but probably did not cause the HDD to go bad.

Good catch, Marvin.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

1440 x 900 pixels

1680 x 1050 pixels

Besides, 1080p would only refer to TVs, because of how they draw the screen, which is different from how computers draw it.

Would love to see a reviesd Pro line up though.

Hay! 100 posts!

You're looking at the wrong figure:

1080p - 1920 x 1080 (iMac 24"/23" ACD are 1920 x 1200)

720p - 1280 x 720 (Macbook is 1280 x 800)

The 20" iMac/20" ACD doesn't quite make 1080p.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

I don't know why Apple hasn't developed a hard drive that sits on the iMac's foot. An external drive there wouldn't really be that obtrusive plus the metal foot might help keep it cool. The stand isn't really designed for that as there's no place for the cables to go but with the iMac update so close to leopard where they are selling Time machine as the main attraction, it would've made sense. Maybe they don't want to encroach on companies like lacie's turf I guess.

It's a nice idea, but Apple doesn't need to design it. All they need is an extra port dedicated to it, perhaps a space to attach it, and size specs for various hard drive vendors. Apple doesn't have the knack for building peripherals and they tend to be more expansive.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

I'm lead to believe that something like the MiniStack fits very well there. I'm waiting until my Alu iMac arrives to measure the gap but the MiniStack is 1.5" in height.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:

not a bad move indeed !

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TQ081LL/A
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I'm sure many users have had good luck with them.

I use two external HDD's (an iOmega and a La Cie) now and have had no problems.

Install an additional 120mm near noiseless fan inside your case. The motherboard supports them. It will drastically cool your case and allow for multiple internal drives.

Don't like the power output? Swap it out:

Everything is Modular. The power supply is rock solid and really improves overall system stability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139001

Model

Brand \tCORSAIR

Model \tCMPSU-520HX

Spec

Type \tATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91

Maximum Power \t520W

Fans \t1 x 120mm ball-bearing fan

PFC \tActive

Main Connector \t20+4Pin

+12V Rails \t3

PCI-E Connectors \t2 x 6Pin

NVIDIA SLI Support \tSLI Certified

Modular Cabling Support \tYes

Over Voltage Protection \tYes

Input Voltage \t100 - 240 V

Input Frequency Range \t50/60 Hz

Input Current \t9A

Output \t+3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,- [email protected],+5VSB@3A

MTBF \t>100,000 Hours

Approvals \tUL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick

Features

Connectors \t1 x 20+4-pin ATX

1 x 4-pin +12V

1 x 8-pin EPS12V

2 x PCI-Express

8 x 4-pin peripheral

2 x 4-pin floppy

4 x SATA

Features \tCorsair has engineered the HX520W with features such as whisper quiet thermally controlled 120mm fan, up to 84% high efficiency, combined 40A on triple +12V rails, and modular cable connections with enhanced flexible cables to provide sustained 520W output even at 50ºC to the most demanding of systems.

The HX Series is the ideal power for high performance and gaming PCs, Audio/Video workstations, and file servers.

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts \t5 years limited

Personally, Apple should include this or the 62OW in all is Mac Pros.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    I'm pretty sure my mac pro has a ~1kw power supply....
  • Reply 20 of 30
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    it does