so, i signed up for .Mac...

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
when it came out, i really didn't think i would. and honestly, i am still not sure it'll be worth it. but hell, i spend tons of money every year on less worthwhile causes, so maybe it'll work out okay by this time next year.

one thing that bugs me... they charged tax on it. so it isn't really US$49.95, but US$58.44. i guess i am ignorant on these sorts of matters, but how can you charge taxes on aninternet purchase that isn't even a physical, tangible commodity? isn't this more like an online membership?

i'm not complaining... it's not that much. it just caught my eye (and i didn't notice any footnotes about tax being applied when i signed up... only "at the cashier," so to speak).

guess i should go get those kodak prints now.

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The tax thing pissed me off too when I fist signed up for .Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    A sale is a sale is a sale. Period.

When you buy a loaf of bread or a pair of shoes or a CD in a store, is the price marked with an asterisk or footnote saying it doesn't include tax? No! The tax is added when you add everything up at the cashier.

What about services? They aren't tangible objects. A cable TV subscription isn't tangible. A cellular phone coverage isn't tangible. A membership to a gym isn't tangible. At least, these services aren't any more tangible than a subscription to an online service like .Mac.

When you buy things over the Internet, in some states you don't have to pay the tax at the time of purchase. However, you are still legally obliged to note the purchase when you file your taxes and pay the tax then. If you don't do this, you could be a prime candidate for an audit. California, however, is one of the states that requires the tax upfront. Either way, you're still supposed to pay the tax.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, okay, okay. i was just making a comment. sometimes i don't get charged for tax on internet purchases, and this seemed like one of those times, but i guess i was wrong. and i did not know i was supposed to be recording those pruchases for payign taxes later. learn something everyday...

apple did not, however, call very much attention to the fact that it would be added... only AFTER the sale had rung through. usually you get a subtotal before pruchase.

and no, no one FORCED me to hit the submit button to purchase the service. maybe i should have been more alert. hell, it's been a long week for yours truly (clients are INSANE!).

i'll just keep it in mind for future reference. that's all i am saying.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>

When you buy things over the Internet, in some states you don't have to pay the tax at the time of purchase. However, you are still legally obliged to note the purchase when you file your taxes and pay the tax then. If you don't do this, you could be a prime candidate for an audit. California, however, is one of the states that requires the tax upfront. Either way, you're still supposed to pay the tax.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But does anyone actually do that?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What do you mean when you say California requires tax upfront? My friends abroad don't pay California sales-tax outside of California.

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>

one thing that bugs me... they charged tax on it. so it isn't really US$49.95, but US$58.84

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How did you only pay $49.95?? I would much rather pay that yearly than the $100 they want
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dallenb:

How did you only pay $49.95?? I would much rather pay that yearly than the $100 they want

<hr></blockquote>

It means he already had an iTools account when he paid for .Mac, so he got a $50 discount off the first year.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Just updated to .Mac - from Norway. According to Apple the estimated tax is $0.00 (It should really have been 24 % added VAT)

Guess I have to wait for my bank statement...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    just checked mine, tax = $0.00
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I'm surprised that .Mac is taxed. IIRC, Internet vendors must charge sales tax in states where they physically collect sales.

Now that Apple has retail stores, they must collect sales tax in each state where they have an open store. However, I am still perplexed that Apple is taxing .Mac which is a service.