Leopard Guided Tour video

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just sat through the Leopard Guided tour video. It is worth watching for anyone who is looking to upgrade to the new cat--there is even a finale that shows you how to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

Click here to watch it for yourself.

One thing that surprised me was in the Time Machine section where it is stated that Time Machine can restore your entire computer if you loose everything. I had thought that it wasn't designed to do that, but I guess I got some bad info.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

One thing that surprised me was in the Time Machine section where it is stated that Time Machine can restore your entire computer if you loose everything. I had thought that it wasn't designed to do that, but I guess I got some bad info.

You can't boot from the backup AFAIK - to restore from the drive, you have to boot from the installer disc and then recover from the Time Machine drive. Superduper is still better as you can boot direct from the backup and keep using your machine if the internal drive is playing up.

I seriously think that they are overplaying the Time Machine stuff. It's not very nice to lose data but realistically, it happens pretty rarely. In this past year I haven't once lost a document that I thought, good god if only I had Time Machine. I hope there will be a way to stop it popping up on inserting a new external drive as I have a few and I won't be using Time machine on any of them.

Also I hope when he said that the installation takes an hour or two that what he meant to say was 45 minutes or less. Otherwise that's gonna be one hell of a cup of coffee. I'm sure Tiger only takes 45 mins to install.

Don't you just love how they post-pro'd the glare out of that imac?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it is a quick good video, hope install takes 45 to 60 mins
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I think 1 to 2 hours is basically the maximum time possible. I doubt it will take even 1 hour to install on any relatively new computer.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I seriously think that they are overplaying the Time Machine stuff. It's not very nice to lose data but realistically, it happens pretty rarely. ...

This trivializes Time Machine and its capabilities. It allows the user to return to any previous state of his hard drive and retrieve any file from that state. Recovering lost files only begins to tap the possibilities. You updated a file, but need to review a previous version? Time Machine gets it for you. Need to audit an employee's computer? Time Machine is an auditor's best friend. With Time Machine, no file and no version of a file will ever really be gone. For good and bad, this will change the way we work in ways that we cannot yet even imagine.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This trivializes Time Machine and its capabilities. It allows the user to return to any previous state of his hard drive and retrieve any file from that state. Recovering lost files only begins to tap the possibilities. You updated a file, but need to review a previous version? Time Machine gets it for you. Need to audit an employee's computer? Time Machine is an auditor's best friend. With Time Machine, no file and no version of a file will ever really be gone. For good and bad, this will change the way we work in ways that we cannot yet even imagine.

I agree. I don't have any problems with Time Machine. I think it's a great tool and while I hope I don't need it to save my bacon I certainly look forward to the safety and flexibility it brings to me. I will probably not worry about saving multiple versions of a document because I know that Time Machine is archiving former versions.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I love the wide-ranging talents of these Apple employees. John's a wow on the camera and I bet he operates a mean barcode scanner too.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I agree. I don't have any problems with Time Machine. I think it's a great tool and while I hope I don't need it to save my bacon I certainly look forward to the safety and flexibility it brings to me. I will probably not worry about saving multiple versions of a document because I know that Time Machine is archiving former versions.

Interesting point, but will TM allow you to rename a file, or recover it to another location? Otherwise recovering an older version of a file would overwrite the existing version, no?

Overall, I like what I've seen of Leopard. I have pre-ordered it and will install it as soon as it gets here--theoretically a week from today.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I will probably not worry about saving multiple versions of a document because I know that Time Machine is archiving former versions.

It is definitely going to change the way people work. After a few months of backups are made, it will occur to people that they don't have to manually do "housekeeping" like making an "old photos" folder or a "Previous Tax Documents" folder - all that stuff is already archived and you can just delete it, or burn it to disk first as a safety measure for critical data.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Interesting point, but will TM allow you to rename a file, or recover it to another location? Otherwise recovering an older version of a file would overwrite the existing version, no?

Overall, I like what I've seen of Leopard. I have pre-ordered it and will install it as soon as it gets here--theoretically a week from today.

I may just periodically append a character to the current file after a modification. Thus giving it some sort of differentiation. I'm not sure if that'll work but I'm going to give it a try. I think Leopard is going to change a lot of my habits.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Without doubt Time Machine is a helpful and one of the best features in Leopard, but I wonder how much capacity it will approximately take. Hope it is not that leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

I just sat through the Leopard Guided tour video. It is worth watching for anyone who is looking to upgrade to the new cat--there is even a finale that shows you how to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

Click here to watch it for yourself.

Enjoy.

I noticed that his mouse is wired to the keyboard, but I didn't see a wire from the keyboard to the iMac. Is it possible to get a wireless keyboard, then use a wired mouse? Or, did they just do a good job of hiding the wire from the keyboard to the iMac?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

I may just periodically append a character to the current file after a modification. Thus giving it some sort of differentiation. I'm not sure if that'll work but I'm going to give it a try. I think Leopard is going to change a lot of my habits.

I think you and I are moving tin the same direction here. I believe that in other forums we have both talked about getting rid of folders and using metadata and smart folders as the new way of organizing our files and projects.

And, yes, I think that Leopard is going to change the way I work with, and think about a computer. If I understand everything that I have read about 10.5, correctly, then the innovation may be more subtle than flashy, but ultimately, at least for me, more revolutionary to the way I use my Macs.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I noticed that his mouse is wired to the keyboard, but I didn't see a wire from the keyboard to the iMac. Is it possible to get a wireless keyboard, then use a wired mouse? Or, did they just do a good job of hiding the wire from the keyboard to the iMac?

I do not have a wireless keyboard, but I know of no way that it could have a functioning USB port for a mouse without also having a power dongle, which would defeat the purpose of a wireless keyboard.

But I may be wrong in this.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

I do not have a wireless keyboard, but I know of no way that it could have a functioning USB port for a mouse without also having a power dongle, which would defeat the purpose of a wireless keyboard.

But I may be wrong in this.

That's what I thought too.

They must have just hid it well.

But, if a person could have a wireless keyboard, with an active USB port, that'd be coo!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

That's what I thought too.

They must have just hid it well.

But, if a person could have a wireless keyboard, with an active USB port, that'd be coo!

I guess you could stick a battery in it, but I would think that the weight gain would offset the "coolness" of it.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Well in theory anyway. I can see it being very different in practice for most people. External drives are noisy and people don't like to leave them on generally. Also from what I've seen, if someone does have an external drive, they use it for backups for maybe a month or two and then think that they've never needed a backup file and so format it for using to extend their storage (i.e put it to what they regard as better use).

No doubt that even a non-regular Time Machine backup will be useful with the versioning but I just think that the need is overestimated. I deal with large video files a lot and versioning is not going to be a possibility but I keep my project files in the same areas so it would need extension filters but then I also keep movie clips that I do want backed up so there are complications. I don't want to lay out final judgement on software that isn't out and how useful it will be so I can only speculate that at least I won't need it and I suspect it won't change the way most people work.

But I'm willing to change that opinion if in 2 months after the leopard release people are seeing Time Machine as being an invaluable tool and not just another marketing angle.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'm really excited by Quick Look. My wife is an English teacher and has lots of Word files (tests, quizzes, etc.) but for some reason she gives them very obscure names and as a result can never find the files she needs. Quick Look will hopefully speed her search up. I was also impressed by iChat and the new abilities it has. I'm looking forward to Leopard.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great video. Screen Sharing and setting up Mail accounts blew me away.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Great video. Screen Sharing and setting up Mail accounts blew me away.

As someone who ends up being the geek squad for my family I thought the screen sharing capabilities would be great...if I could only get the rest of them to use Macs.

My mother-in-law might be the next convert. They live about 800 miles away and aren't exactly computer savvy, so being able to control her screen to show her how to do something would be invaluable.

P.S. My pre-ordered Leopard has changed status from "Not shipped Yet" to "Prepared for Shipment."
  • Reply 20 of 25
    A great video! thanks for posting the link, Lee.

Time machine is a must but its Spaces, Quicklook and the improvements to Mail that will likely impact the most on me. oh yes ABSOLUTLY LOVING the download folder!! very subtly useful.

I've really started to warm to the new iMacs as well, thats down to "having" to upgrade to one, I kind of don't have a choice

Not so sure about the changes in Finder, but I'm sure they will make their usefulness known soon enough, I'm also in two minds about stacks.

A question for anyone who can answer it, In screen sharing mode, can the other user poke about in ALL your folders? seems theres a few documents and files one wouldn't want looked at, how is sensitive info like that handled? is there a setting to limit access to, say, just the folders on the desktop? but then if the oher user uses Finder to search for files, won't the folders NOT on the desktop be searched as well?

Thats about my only query from that demo