Texting on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm looking at getting an iPhone when its released in the UK but am a heavy texter and worry about it for that. First of all how does the iChat like display of texts work? As I sometimes send very long texts - can it join them altogether like others phones? Also I found the keyboard on the iPod Touch tricky to use. Any idea whther Apple might create an option to use the numeric keypad with letters so texters can use a thumb as on other phones?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I'm looking at getting an iPhone when its released in the UK but am a heavy texter and worry about it for that. First of all how does the iChat like display of texts work? As I sometimes send very long texts - can it join them altogether like others phones? Also I found the keyboard on the iPod Touch tricky to use. Any idea whther Apple might create an option to use the numeric keypad with letters so texters can use a thumb as on other phones?

I'm planning on getting one once I've had a go on one after the 9th and from everything I've read and watched you just struggle for a week or so and then BOOM it just clicks, I'm sure like me you wernt a speedy texter to begin with so this is just a cas eof learning a new way of inputting the text. As for longer texts, its a pretty big screen so I imaine you will get a fairly large text message onto the whole screen, what phone are you using at the moment that will let you display more text than the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    While I'm sure you're right about getting used to it, judging by the iPod touch you have to use the keyboard with a finger,a thumb would be too big. But I'm sure most of us like and are used to texting with a thumb and just one hadn as we walk along. I get the impression an iPhone would require more care. As for my current phone it's a SE K800i. I'm sure it can't display as much text, but what I'm referring to is joining several messages together to make one long message. Can the iPhone do that do we know?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    I often type on my iPhone with just my right thumb. It's slower than using two fingers, but it doesn't do what T9 does, i.e. make me feel insane.

iPhone won't "join" text messages.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    the iPhone won't join text messages, but multiple text messages will appear on the screen so you can read them without a problem. You can scroll up the screen to see previous text messages too.

You will find that you can text faster with an iPhone than with a regular phone. No more hitting 2-2-2 to create a C. You simply tap the C key. I use both thumbs when texting or writing emails without a problem.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

I often type on my iPhone with just my right thumb. It's slower than using two fingers, but it doesn't do what T9 does, i.e. make me feel insane.

iPhone won't "join" text messages.

What he means is on current phones when you get over a certain number of characters can you keep on typing and let it count as two or three texts.

I happen to think you actually can make the balloon as big as you want, just keep on typing and typing, when you send it it will likely register as a few texts. There's a certain number of characters that is industry standard as one text, I think 350, the iPhone is probably the same deal.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    First, I absolutely love my iPhone.

With that said, I think texting on the iPhone SUCKS ASS! And it's not keyboard related. I use a single index finger to type, but I type pretty fast. Plus the auto-corrector works really really well which helps in typing fast and somewhat sloppy.

But what SUCKS is that there is not copy and paste features. There's absolutley no way to text more than one person at a time. If you're trying to type restaurant information to more than one friend you've got to re-type it each and every time you want to text.

I love Apple as much as the next fanatic. But come on!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

But what SUCKS is that there is not copy and paste features. There's absolutley no way to text more than one person at a time. If you're trying to type restaurant information to more than one friend you've got to re-type it each and every time you want to text.

I love Apple as much as the next fanatic. But come on!

That's got to be very annoying, they'll address it though, I'm sure they will.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

While I'm sure you're right about getting used to it, judging by the iPod touch you have to use the keyboard with a finger,a thumb would be too big. But I'm sure most of us like and are used to texting with a thumb and just one hadn as we walk along. I get the impression an iPhone would require more care. As for my current phone it's a SE K800i. I'm sure it can't display as much text, but what I'm referring to is joining several messages together to make one long message. Can the iPhone do that do we know?

I've come slightly from the other direction I was a long time Nokia T9 predictive texter then I used the SE p800/900 series for a number of years, all stylus input I got SO used to it. Then I went back to a T9 Nokia (couldn't hold off any longer, its only a stop gap till the iPhone is released here) and I couldn't text AT ALL on it, it was HORRIBLE, really, just WRONG! but I've slowly got a bit more used to it. I've resigned myself to it, a stop gap. bring on the iPhone I say

to answer your question with a question, do you mean joining 2 160 character length texts? I'm not sure, but even the most basic phones do this now, so I would assume so.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What he means is on current phones when you get over a certain number of characters can you keep on typing and let it count as two or three texts.

I happen to think you actually can make the balloon as big as you want, just keep on typing and typing, when you send it it will likely register as a few texts. There's a certain number of characters that is industry standard as one text, I think 350, the iPhone is probably the same deal.

[Checks Nokia] mine seems to offer 1000 characters per text message??? WTF that actually means in practice I don't know, never typed that much (cos I don't like typeing on it too much) as I usually keep it it to under 2x160 character texts, as far as I'm aware these arrive as on message. I have certainly recieved large texts as a single "text" ne3ver gotten round to bothering to count them tho' nor have I sent a 1000 character text to someone from my new Nokia, so I have no idea how it might arrive to them.

Damn it, now I'm just interested (and pedantic) enough to do it!

only doing 500 character tho

{time passes} sending

{more time passes}

OK it arrived all in one mesage, it remains to be seen how that appears on my bill though.

dear me, have I just been shallow, or helped inform?