Best Postscript RIP for inkjets

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Occasionally I need to print out stuff from Illustrator off of my inkjet at home. I know there is EpsonRip but it only works for a specific Epson printers which I don't have.

The iProof (formerly BirmyRip) is available but is pretty pricey. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Occasionally I need to print out stuff from Illustrator off of my inkjet at home. I know there is EpsonRip but it only works for a specific Epson printers which I don't have.

The iProof (formerly BirmyRip) is available but is pretty pricey. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

i used to use birmy on our epson printers when i was in school. they worked great when they worked, but could get all kinds of messed up on a bad day. but hey, that was 5 years ago, i'd hope they're better now. we have the epson rip but it plain sucks if it works at all.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Thanks, yeah I've had some bad luck with old Birmy Rips in the past. It was hit and miss.

My friend has an Epson rip that seems to be pretty reliable.

The iProof PowerRip looks good in that it supports HP inkjets and OSX in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    With OS X?

Illustrator outputs PDF, and OS X RIP's PDF... so you should get good results.

I wish OS X also handled PostScript, but most modern RIPs accept PDF directly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Target Practice:

<strong>With OS X?

Illustrator outputs PDF, and OS X RIP's PDF... so you should get good results.

I wish OS X also handled PostScript, but most modern RIPs accept PDF directly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you saying that since OSX RIP's PDF,

I don't need a separate RIP software?

That would be great.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Even in OS9 printing from within Illustrator to a non-postscript printer worked just great. You can do the same in OSX (preferably 10.2 - better printer drivers). But OSX's PDF ability means you can print frpm within preview or acrobat as well. No need for a postscript RIP.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Adobe apps use the Adobe Imaging Model to display on screen and generate a raster for non-PostScript printers. So, printing from these apps does not require a PostScript printer.

OS X has a built in PDF "RIP" for software that uses Quartz or that generate PDF as output. OS X cannot RIP PS or EPS without some help from other software like GhostScript -- which is the best non-Adobe compatible PostScript interpreter available -- and it is FREE.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    We print from Quark or Illustrator without a RIP. The problem, I believe, is when you incorporate PS art into a program that didn't create that art.

Then you really need a RIP.