Airport Extreme Base Station: 802.11N

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I picked up an "N"/GigaBit Base station in anticipation for my first Mac ever. However, ever since I got it my PC's connection drops randomly (with full signal strength to boot). I also cannot get one of the two PC"s in my house to mount the Air Disk. It gives me a 1203 error for bad username or password in spite of just using a disk password.

This does not bode well and makes me wonder if buying an Apple iMac was a mistake. The router IS very nice, but I cannot get a stable connection like I can with my 4 year old DLink 802.11b router, that is just bonkers.

FWIW I was running the latest firmware, 7.2.1, which I read was problematic but could not find a way to downgrade as apple removes older firmware right away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

I picked up an "N"/GigaBit Base station in anticipation for my first Mac ever. However, ever since I got it my PC's connection drops randomly (with full signal strength to boot). I also cannot get one of the two PC"s in my house to mount the Air Disk. It gives me a 1203 error for bad username or password in spite of just using a disk password.

This does not bode well and makes me wonder if buying an Apple iMac was a mistake. The router IS very nice, but I cannot get a stable connection like I can with my 4 year old DLink 802.11b router, that is just bonkers.

FWIW I was running the latest firmware, 7.2.1, which I read was problematic but could not find a way to downgrade as apple removes older firmware right away.

Nobody's got anything to say eh?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Sorry I am of no help, but I'm having similar troubles too. Mine drops wireless portion every 3-4 days and I have to unplug and plug it back in.... then works ok. When I am connected to it I have not lost more than 1 bar of signal strength.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Take it back.

My AEBS was bad and I had to return it. The new one works great with no problems at all.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Take it back.

My AEBS was bad and I had to return it. The new one works great with no problems at all.

Indeed I did this Sunday. The new one hasn't dropped connection yet. Weird. FWIW I didn't upgrade from 7.2 to 7.2.1 for the firmware, since that's what I did with the last one and the problems cropped up.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

Indeed I did this Sunday. The new one hasn't dropped connection yet. Weird. FWIW I didn't upgrade from 7.2 to 7.2.1 for the firmware, since that's what I did with the last one and the problems cropped up.

I'm running 7.2.1 without any problems. I would bet it was your AEBS and not the update.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I'm running 7.2.1 without any problems. I would bet it was your AEBS and not the update.

Maybe, but since I have no way to downgrade the firmware since Apple removes them when they release a new one I cannot test that theory in good faith.