Leopard is 64-bits, right?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so I know that Leopard has 64-bit capabilities, but I had a question: will the programs included with it (ichat, itunes, apple-made programs, etc) run in a 64-bit environment? I have a MacBook w/ Core 2 Duo, which is a 64-bit processor, and I was just wondering if I'd get all the horsepower out of the processor or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Most likely all of them, or future updates would support i.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

Okay, so I know that Leopard has 64-bit capabilities, but I had a question: will the programs included with it (ichat, itunes, apple-made programs, etc) run in a 64-bit environment? I have a MacBook w/ Core 2 Duo, which is a 64-bit processor, and I was just wondering if I'd get all the horsepower out of the processor or not.

The major benefit if 64-bit is that it allows you to address more memory. There is no benefit to having iChat and iTunes run as 64-bit apps.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    What Me. Me said. But yes, 32 & 64 bit apps will run alongside quite happily. Leopard will do both, simultaneously.

Don't confuse '64 bit' with "SIMD" like Altivec or MMX, where data can be plowed through in large chunks, in parallel.