Will new MacBook Pro has nividia SLI technology?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
does anyone have an idea abot what will be type of graphic card available in MBP? i wish they add nividia 8700 SLi, similar to the one which will be available in Dell xps 1730 (http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab). I believe if that happens MBP will be the Best notebook in the market

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I doubt it. I hope the next MacBook Pro does support nVidia 8x GPUs, but I don't see any need for a SLi setup. Why would you want 2 GPUs in a laptop designed for media creation? Those Dell machines are about 2 x thickness of a MacBook Pro anyway and I wouldn't want to lugg one about.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I would be impressed if Apple did it, but I highly doubt it.

That is an impressive screen resolution. Is that card an x2 card, or are there 2 cards in there?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I would definitely find a use for such a GPU, but I as well highly doubt it. Apple seems to be 1.5-2 years behind GPU technology curves.

I type this on a MBP C2D with Ati X1600....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    they dont do it for a number of reasons

size, battery, and cooling are just a few of the main ones.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ^^^ I reiterate the obvious.

Secondly, if Nvidia could manage to cut their power usage in half and thus the heat output of their sli systems, then sure they might be in future MacBook Pros.

However, with Intel demonstrating 32nm circuitry where more advanced graphics taking up an additional chunk of the 1.9 billion transistors on this upcoming architecture nvidia will have it's hands full. This might explain their entry into the integrated GPU/network chipset market that Intel owns. AMD/Ati are getting in it as well.

http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...32nm/index.htm

Interestingly from this article:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...y_pressrelease

Quote:

..."Nehalem is an entirely new architecture that leverages Intel's Core Microarchitecture, bringing leading-edge performance advantages, power efficiency and important new server features to market just a year after Intel leads the industry to 45nm technology," said Otellini.

Describing other advanced Intel technologies destined to quickly come to market, Otellini showed the world's first 300mm wafer built using next-generation 32nm process technology. The development of advanced test chips serves as a critical milestone in the company's march toward high-volume manufacturing of 32nm process technology. With plans to introduce processors built on 32nm technology in 2009, Intel will maintain its industry lead delivering the most advanced manufacturing technologies.

Intel's 32nm test chips incorporate logic and memory (static random access memory --SRAM) to house more than 1.9 billion transistors. The 32nm process uses the company's second-generation high-k and metal gate transistor technology.

This additional performance made possible by Intel's push to drive chip design and manufacturing technology forward will not only be seen in computing, but will enable more true-to-life entertainment and realistic graphics capabilities. As a result, the company said it will be placing increased emphasis on using the power of its processors to enhance key technologies such as visual computing and graphics.

"Satisfying demand for ever-greater computer performance increases means we need to move rapidly to the next manufacturing technology." said Otellini. "Intel engineers and researchers deserve a great deal of credit for setting the pace for the industry. As our advanced technology reaches consumers and businesses in the next couple of years the amount of computing power they'll be able to harness will help them become even more productive, creative and innovative."

Otellini also announced that a version of a Penryn dual-core processor operating at 25 watts will be available on the upcoming Montevina platform, which will include Intel's mobile WiMAX silicon. Several equipment manufacturers are already planning to introduce Montevina-based notebook PCs starting next year when the platform is introduced. Overall, WiMAX is expected to reach more than 1 billion people worldwide by 2012.

The reach of WiMAX along with Intel's efforts to bring computing technology to developing nations through the World Ahead program and innovative products such as the Silverthorne processor will help bring computing to the next billion people worldwide according to Intel.

If Nvidia could work with Apple to offer a BTO option for SLI on this Penryn whose combined heat output is less than or equal to current MacBook Pros then you could see an SLI setup.

I'd say Nvidia would probably have to produce with these chips 20% total heat dissipation to allow Apple to offer the option of a redesigned chasis on the forthcoming MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    First time i saw Mac Book Pro i was amazed by it's specification and how thin it is. by being top end laptop i though it should keep having top end hardware that available in the market. moreover i like when my laptop can support any new technology available. i like this laptop and i am going to buy it when it is released.