Upgrade to 10.5...best approach for wiping HD and starting fresh

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My machine is under almost constant use. Besides the level of activity, there have been power outages, many downloads, small apps trials, etc., and now I have a few persistent annoyances that have developed over time. I'm considering a total wipe of my HD before 10.5 is installed. However, I do not want to go through the hassle of manually installing apps, fonts, etc.

My plan is to use Carbon Copy Cloner ( http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html ) to make an exact copy of my drive. Then wipe my machine, install 10.5, and use Migration Assistant to get everything back to where is belongs.

Has anyone used this or a similar method? What worked or didn't?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I'm thinking of going old-style and just make a full back up of my current HD and then wipe it and even low level format it and then reinstall each app one by one.

I'll even go and save only the preferences files that I really have to, etc etc.

I want it as clean and 'new' as possible.

Then again, thats just me and I have time to do it that way.

I'm sure using CCC will be fine as well and even using a few sharewares that help you save the 'important' files in case you dont know how to do it manually
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am into OS X Server .... sorry about the cryptic post, gotta run....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    It all boils down to time. Rebuilding a system is painfully tedious.

BTW, is Migration Assistant part of an OSX install? I have it on my machine, but can't remember if it is installed with the normal system, as opposed to being included on a new machine.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    afaik it's only on new systems...