Is Leopard finally going to have full NTFS support?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if there will be a full read/write (native) NTFS support in the Leopard? Maybe someone who has used the preview versions can answer that.

I have an external HDD which is too big for FAT32 and I need it to be Windows compatible so my only option is NTFS. I know there is a solution to write in NTFS in the Tiger even now, but I don't like it. It is not native, requires external software and every time I have to mount it manually, all of which is just plain annoying.

I really hope that Apple will eventually come to their senses and make it happen sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    It doesn't look like Leopard's NTFS support has been significantly expanded.

I would suggest partitioning the drive into multiple, smaller FAT32 segments as a workaround.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    what about that MacFUSE project? Isn't that supposed to give read/write access to NTFS?

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

what about that MacFUSE project? Isn't that supposed to give read/write access to NTFS?

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

Yes, MacFUSE was what I was talking about. In order for it to work you have to install 2 things, after that every time you have to manually (from the terminal) load the external drive after unmounting it from the disk utility before that. It is simply annoying as the next time you restart the computer you have to do it all over again. Otherwise it is working, but unless the authors develop it into some sort of a software that you can install and set-up once and after that it works transparent in Mac OS, I don't have the nerve to do it every time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

It doesn't look like Leopard's NTFS support has been significantly expanded.

I would suggest partitioning the drive into multiple, smaller FAT32 segments as a workaround.

Hmmm, that are not very good news. And partitioning a 250GB HDD into 32GB FAT32 partitions sounds a bit unpractical to me. Of course it is some sort of a solution but.... It seems I will be sticking to my current solution of connecting the external drive trough Parallels, even though it is quite slow, especially when I copy/move from it to the Mac OS, but still seems like the best one available.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kalintri View Post

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if there will be a full read/write (native) NTFS support in the Leopard? Maybe someone who has used the preview versions can answer that.

I have an external HDD which is too big for FAT32 and I need it to be Windows compatible so my only option is NTFS. I know there is a solution to write in NTFS in the Tiger even now, but I don't like it. It is not native, requires external software and every time I have to mount it manually, all of which is just plain annoying.

I really hope that Apple will eventually come to their senses and make it happen sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

Here's an alternate route....

I am guessing the drive spends most of its time plugged into the Mac.

Format it with HFS - Windows PCs can read&write over the network.

If you need the drive to be readable, when plugged-into a Windows machine you can get MacDrive for the Windows PC.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Here's an alternate route....

I am guessing the drive spends most of its time plugged into the Mac.

Format it with HFS - Windows PCs can read&write over the network.

If you need the drive to be readable, when plugged-into a Windows machine you can get MacDrive for the Windows PC.

C.

Thanks. I didn't know about this MacDrive software and just read about it on their website. It seems like a viable option that is worth exploring.

Thanks again.