iPod Touch v.2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Unaware as to the market prices of flash memory, component costs, etc. I've often wondered what the next iteration(s) of the iPod Touch will look like. With the opening of the device to developers, I personally would appreciate 32 GB of storage.

Features that would dazzle me, however, would be:

- Physical volume controls

- A microphone

- A speaker,

- AC power, and

- (in dreamland) an iSight camera.

The first three seem totally feasible, probably barely increasing the size of the device.

I personally require AC power since I will use my Touch as an away-from-home Mac replacement for overnight trips, since all I typically need are calendar, e-mail, and minimal web functions.

The camera, obviously, is a ways away. But once that occurs, we'll have reached, in terms of technology, Star Trek communicator status. "Beam me up, Scotty" will be all that practically remains.

Thinking pragmatically, what will we expect from the next iPod Touch? Will Apple's agreement with AT&T preclude the inclusion of a microphone and speaker? My guess:

iPod Touch v.2:

- up to 32 GB of storage

- Physical volume controls,

- A Bluetooth keyboard driver, and

- AC power.

Any takers?

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I don't see a need for volume control buttons. The software slider works great and it means that you cant accidently change the volume and hurt your ears if the buttons touch something in your pocket.

There are plenty of 3rd party iPod mics, all it needs is a software update to work with them.

I would hate speakers on iPods, just imagine all the chavs walking around playing their crap music at full volume while you're trying to have a nice quite walk in the park.

There are loads of AC power adapters for iPods, even Apple make one!

iSight cam? That would only be of any use if Apple allwed iChat or other VOIP clients to be installed.

I would expect at least 32 GB of storage on the 2nd Gen iPod Touch. 32/64GB would be my guess.

The Bluetooth keuboard driver would be more apt on the iPhone, but this would be a software update again.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Please read before posting.

Quote:

ATTENTION: Please read before posting new topic

Hi All

Please check through this forum for the subject you want to post before making a new and un-necessary topic if one already exists.

• If you want to know if you should buy now or wait for an update, please try and post in a thread that is discussing the type of computer you are after. All you will get in reply will be "If you need it now BUY".... not much point starting a new thread for that is there!

• Topics about the Apple Store being down will be deleted immediately.

• Threads about iPod or iPhone belong in their respective forums.

• If you find that your subject isnt already here then try to make your topic header as descriptive as possible (no single word headers) and please include some original content and not just "copy and pasted" links and/or articles from other sites.

If your still a little un-clear on this visit the Posting Guidelines

Thanks

b.

• Reply 3 of 10
    I would like the new iPod Touch to have:

5. A GPS: Not for me to use, but so the iPod Touch can use it. Suppose I lose it, it should know where I am and a voice calling out "hot" or "cold" would tell me how close I am.

4. Touch Sensitivity: When I tap on it too hard I expect it to start crying.

3. A bottle opener: Everyone knows that the most useful tools in the world also have a bottle opener somewhere on them!

2. Two Quad Core Processors: Why? More like why not?

1. Bear Mace: If people try to mug you for your iPod Touch, they're in a world of hurt
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Please read before posting.

In my brief moment of decision, I thought since I was asking about Future iPod Touch releases, and I had always perused this forum for discussions about Future hardware, I'd post it here. Based on Onlooker's experience alone, I suspect he's right.

Thanks for the correction. Mods, feel free to move this to its appropriate board. Sorry for any inconvenience my misplacement may have inflicted.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I would like the iPhone to have 32GB, much more so than the touch
  • Reply 6 of 10
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Would you pay a couple hundred extra (not sure exactly how much more it would be). A lot of people wouldn't, but I know I would.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm in the Touch market myself, simply because I am not convinced that multi-touch is the best application for a phone. Plus, I'm still in love with my teeny-tiny Sprint freebie LG phone.

At any rate, I'm expecting the price points to remain the same, and flash costs to decrease. I would expect 32 GB at Macworld, on both devices (why would they not match one another in storage capacity?)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I doubt that Apple would put a mic in the touch, or an external speaker, or even volume controls, though some external wheel that would help, so the volume can be adjusted instantly, without any thought.

As for the mic, Apple must know that this would cut into their iPhone sales, since people could get skype and use it that way.

The speaker would be unnecessary
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

I doubt that Apple would put a mic in the touch, or an external speaker, or even volume controls, though some external wheel that would help, so the volume can be adjusted instantly, without any thought.

As for the mic, Apple must know that this would cut into their iPhone sales, since people could get skype and use it that way.

The speaker would be unnecessary

I must say (to a chorus of grumbles, I suspect) that it's quite an annoying corner of the capitalist economic system that we've reached with Apple this past little while. I'm all for capitalism, don't get me wrong. But in this case, I feel like the customer is truly getting the short end of the stick. Skype is available; the technology is available. I will stay loyal to Apple for a long, long while so long as they continue to produce devices and software that meet needs that I have. I do not fit the category of cannibalization that people refer to - I'm simply holding out buying either a Touch or an iPhone until either one meets my needs. For one, the iPhone requires me to switch cell phone carriers, spend more money per month, and use a phone I don't want to use. The Touch removes the functionality of the iPhone that doesn't involve using a phone. I'm stuck, for at least a little while longer.

Don't call that a complaint, though. I couldn't even make the observation if I didn't think both were phenomenal products. I'm still quite a fanboy, if you care for the term!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm in the Touch market myself, simply because I am not convinced that multi-touch is the best application for a phone. Plus, I'm still in love with my teeny-tiny Sprint freebie LG phone.

At any rate, I'm expecting the price points to remain the same, and flash costs to decrease. I would expect 32 GB at Macworld, on both devices (why would they not match one another in storage capacity?)

Unfortunately, the current iPod Touch has two 8GB cards in it, not one 16GB as might have been expected... Because space is such an issue in the iPhone, it doesn't have the room for the same amount of storage as the iPod Touch. I wish it wasn't this way, its just that the iPhone's case has got to fit in a lot more hardware in it than the iPod Touch... its a bummer.