can someone Explain TIME MACHINE...?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How is this going to work if you have multiple external firewire drives that need backing up?

How would you set that up?

How much HD space will be needed to back up say a 1 gigabyte photoshop image?

I have not seen any details on how this will work or how to set up for people with hundreds of gigabytes and many drives currently used to store copies of files.

Thanks for any help / info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    This is more comprehensive than anything I could type here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(software)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I still don't see anything about space needs?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    You can select what drives, folders, and files to back up, and to which drives.

A 1-gigabyte file will take *at least* 1 GB to back up, obviously. Changes to it will be saved incrementally, so the backup size for that file will depend on how far back you want your backups to go (this is user-configurable) and how much you change the file after the first, full backup.

There's no "correct" answer to the question of how much backup space you'll need - it depends on way too many variables. It's like asking what size HDD you need - depends on what you do, how you do it, and how often. One estimate I heard from testers is that you should prepare a backup drive about twice the size of the drives you're backing up. So, if your HDDs add up to 250 GB (and you really need to back up all that data), consider a 500 GB Time Machine drive as a starting point.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple can probably describe it best.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html
  • Reply 5 of 5
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    TM can backup just about any mounted HFS+ volume, with an exception of the backup partition itself. If you want TM to keep track of multiple revisions, you will need more than 1 GB of free space to backup 1 GB worth of Photoshop images. But the overhead is relatively small.