Which is worth it?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I have two Macs and I want to upgrade to Leopard, should I get the Family Pack or the Single-Pack? Does anyone know how many features won't work on an iBook G4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by espearls View Post

If I have two Macs and I want to upgrade to Leopard, should I get the Family Pack or the Single-Pack? Does anyone know how many features won't work on an iBook G4?

As long as it meets the minimum requirements all the features should work (although I doubt all of them will work as well as with a faster computer). To answer your first questions, you should get a family pack but Leopard will not have any protection (as far as I know) against installing a single license on multiple computers (no serial).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    If you have two macs, and you're the only user, I can't think of a reason why you'd feel obligated to purchase a 5 user license.

Anyone care to correct me?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    a variation on the theme; I have a MacBook Pro 2.33ghz 2gb memory running on Tiger OSX, I plan to upgrade to Leopard next week. Therefore I'll have a redundant copy of a Mac OSX (Tiger), could I install that copy on an external HDD - LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Drive 500GB? I mean is it technically feasible and how to do it? I could use that drive as a server or if not as a back up drive for Time Machine.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

...I could use that drive as a server...

How would that work, without a CPU???
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

If you have two macs, and you're the only user, I can't think of a reason why you'd feel obligated to purchase a 5 user license.

Anyone care to correct me?

I believe that OS X is licensed per computer, not user. If it were "per user" you would presumably need to buy the family pack for a single Mac used by 5 different people who live in the same house, I don't believe this is true.

Apple confuse things by calling Leopard licenses "Single User", when I believe what they really mean is "Single Machine", as you can see by this text from the Apple Store page:

"Choose a single-user license for home or office. Or if you have more than one Mac at home, choose the five-user Family Pack."

So the answer to your question is: Yes, you are obliged to buy the Family Pack if you want to install Leopard on more than one computer, even if you are the only user of those two machines.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

So the answer to your question is: Yes, you are obliged to buy the Family Pack if you want to install Leopard on more than one computer, even if you are the only user of those two machines.

To be really nitpicky, you could buy two single-user licenses, but that would cost more than the Family Pack
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

To be really nitpicky, you could buy two single-user licenses, but that would cost more than the Family Pack

Of course!

Actually in my case buying 2 single user packs would be cheaper, because my University computer store sells Leopard for $69.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i have two 3 macs ibook g4 900 and 2 mb c2d i bought a family pac, for the additional price i want to do things fairly.

i bought the family pac 1 user but 3 macs