New Apple Cinema Display?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I read some news somewhere showing that Apple will release the new Apple Cinema Display with 24", 30" and 37" module and iSight built in. Anybody saw this kind of news? I really doubt about the information.

I am planning to buy the 23" ACD soon. So this news really confuses me right now and I do not know if it worthes waiting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you can wait until Macworld I'd be highly surprised if we didn't see the new models by then, and yes, they will have built-in iSights, that's a given.
  • Reply 2 of 193
    None of the rumors claiming this have been credible so far. Not to mention that no 37-inch display to date has had a resolution greater than 1920x1080, so it would actually be a step backwards without a new design.

It might also be doubtful that Apple includes a built-in iSight. Many Mac Pro users work in places where a camera would be a security risk. The only way I could see an iSight showing up is if Apple had a particularly low-cost Cinema Display, and even then it wouldn't be universal (maybe only on a 20-inch model).
  • Reply 3 of 193
    so the better choice is to wait until Macworld. The new ACD should have advanced features, right?
  • Reply 4 of 193
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    There is a big chance that prior to Christmas the Mac Pro will be update. So new ACDs could be release at the same time as well. So I would wait if I was you.
  • Reply 5 of 193
    Thax for advice, guys! I will wait. But do u guys know any specs of the new ACD? Especially the panel. We all know ACD is using IPS now. So I really do not like apple changing the panel for ACD like they did on iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post

Thax for advice, guys! I will wait. But do u guys know any specs of the new ACD? Especially the panel. We all know ACD is using IPS now. So I really do not like apple changing the panel for ACD like they did on iMac.

All are guesses, only Apple knows.
  • Reply 7 of 193
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

None of the rumors claiming this have been credible so far. Not to mention that no 37-inch display to date has had a resolution greater than 1920x1080, so it would actually be a step backwards without a new design.

It might also be doubtful that Apple includes a built-in iSight. Many Mac Pro users work in places where a camera would be a security risk. The only way I could see an iSight showing up is if Apple had a particularly low-cost Cinema Display, and even then it wouldn't be universal (maybe only on a 20-inch model).

I never go by rumors, and I always said the displays will come with the Mac Pro, and that would be at MWSF.

I'm 95% sure there will be an iSight built in. Weather it be a flush but removable iSight, or some flexible way to solve this problem, but Apple will take care of it.
  • Reply 8 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Weather it be a flush but removable iSight, or some flexible way to solve this problem, but Apple will take care of it.

Huh?..
  • Reply 9 of 193
    He's talking about some way of physically disabling the iSight for those companies/facilities that ban cameras.

It seems to me that a little aluminum shutter window would do the trick...
  • Reply 10 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

He's talking about some way of physically disabling the iSight for those companies/facilities that ban cameras.

It seems to me that a little aluminum shutter window would do the trick...

They will be just like the iMacs cameras I'd bet money on it.
  • Reply 11 of 193
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They will be just like the iMacs cameras I'd bet money on it.

And what are the iMac cameras like? Can you shut them off as an employer? Is it possible for an employee to turn it back on. I can't imagine Pixar, or any company that is trying to keep secrets, like Apple, letting a camera into sensitive areas, or a any government facility for that matter.
  • Reply 12 of 193
    Given the extremely poor value the ACDs currently represent, I'd just go with an HP or Dell monitor, and get a USB web cam.
  • Reply 13 of 193
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

And what are the iMac cameras like? Can you shut them off as an employer? Is it possible for an employee to turn it back on. I can't imagine Pixar, or any company that is trying to keep secrets, like Apple, letting a camera into sensitive areas, or a any government facility for that matter.

I imagine such institutions would remove or destroy the cameras.
  • Reply 14 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post

I read some news somewhere showing that Apple will release the new Apple Cinema Display with 24", 30" and 37" module and iSight built in. Anybody saw this kind of news? I really doubt about the information.

I am planning to buy the 23" ACD soon. So this news really confuses me right now and I do not know if it worthes waiting.

I doubt there will be a 37" model, but I can see the 23" getting replaced with a 24" model. The iMac got FireWire 800 so the updated Cinema Displays could also be getting FireWire 800. I think the new Apple Cinema Displays will have built-in iSight, but businesses will be able to purchase them without the iSight.
  • Reply 15 of 193
    I think they will have an optional iSight. Built to order.

Plus I think is very reasonable to expect a larger than 30" ACD at this time. I hope it happens.
  • Reply 16 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

OS X Server 10.5 has control options to disable devices on the network--iSight included.
  • Reply 17 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I think is very reasonable to expect a larger than 30" ACD at this time.

At what resolution?
  • Reply 18 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I think they will have an optional iSight. Built to order.

Plus I think is very reasonable to expect a larger than 30" ACD at this time. I hope it happens.

What they really need to new slimmer ACD 24" & 32", and a cheaper 20" that could even look different to the new ACD's, to go with the Mac mini, if you simply must buy an Apple display to go with it.

Build-to-order built-in iSights sounds like a good idea.
  • Reply 19 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

At what resolution?

I would think higher than 2560 x 1600.
  • Reply 20 of 193
    The only feature I care about in new ACDs is higher pixel density. Nothing else would motivate me to buy one.