AT&T user gains; Leopard GM changes; new battery supplier; more

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
AT&T subscription numbers are riding the wave of new iPhone customers to an all-time high, according to the wireless provider's latest financial report. Meanwhile, the finished version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard makes significant changes to the Dock's behavior. And Apple has brought on a second MacBook battery supplier.

AT&T's third quarter partly buoyed by iPhone

Although the iPhone itself is conspicuously absent by name in AT&T's results for the September quarter, the effect of the Apple device is noticeable in the company's wireless subscriber statistics.

The first complete quarter of iPhone sales was marked by a net gain of 2 million new subscribers, the statement says. This was a climb of nearly 47 percent and represents the largest growth in subscribers of any third calendar quarter in AT&T's history, the carrier says. "Churn," or the number of customers leaving the service, was also lower than in 2006 and suggests higher overall satisfaction with the company.

While positive, AT&T's report does not state how many of the new customers purchased an iPhone as part of their subscription. Apple shipped 1.12 million iPhones during the three-month span and could only account for a minority of buyers as defectors from rivals such as Verizon.

Apple adds second MacBook battery supplier

With new orders for Apple MacBook batteries to start shipping in December this year, plus the possibility of cutting into the supply lines of other notebook vendors, notebook battery maker Simplo Technology expects its shipment growth in 2008 to stay between 30-40 percent, according to company chairman Sung Fu-hsiang.

Dynapack International Technology, who used to be the sole provider of Apple notebook batteries, commented that Apple's strong notebook sales will continue to boost market demand. Future orders are still coming strong, therefore the company does not mind seeing Simplo coming onboard as a second supplier to Apple, it noted.

With the shortage of battery cells to continue in 2008, Simplo is turning to Korea-based battery cell makers for supply by providing assistance for the makers to get certified, instead of relying heavily on Japan-based makers since makers there also have their own battery module production capabilities. Therefore, notebook makers are expected to increase their adoption ratio of Korea-based battery cells in 2008, Sung added.

Apple makes last-minute changes to Leopard's Dock

Potentially responding to perceived criticism, MacRumors reports that Apple has tweaked the appearance of the Dock in the Gold Master build, which coincidentally began leaking to file sharing networks Tuesday evening.

Where the Dock previously maintained its 3D perspective view even when moved to the left or right side of the screen -- creating unusual visual effects -- the final build (9A581) relies on 2D vertical strips largely similar to those in Mac OS X Tiger. The bottom alignment continues to use the new visual style.

Samsung technology would allow for 128GB flash memory in 2009

A new, 30-nanometer manufacturing process should result in 128 gigabytes of NAND flash memory in the space of a typical memory card, writes Electronista.

The Korean electronics giant says that it has successfully packed more memory cells into a given unit than with current methods by merging coarse and fine patterns of cells, the combination of which lets the company produce 64-gigabit chips at the 30-nanometer density. These could combine to provide the claimed 128GB (gigabytes) of storage in a typical form factor.

Commercial production of 128GB devices would not start until 2009, Samsung said.

Apple has used Samsung flash memory in some iPods, most notably first- and second-generation iPod nanos, but has lately switched suppliers for its iPods while keeping Samsung onboard for the iPhone.

Leopard orders may arrive ahead of official launch

A number of AppleInsider readers report that their Apple Store Mac OS X Leopard pre-orders switching from their initial status to "preparing for shipment," indicating that the software has finished duplication and will be in transit for many customers by mid-week.

Purchasers also note that Apple has waived any expedited shipping costs paid as part of the initial order. The company still claims delivery no later than October 26th for these orders and hints that express shipping will be provided for free with at least the first batch to ensure they arrive no later than retail copies, which go on sale at 6PM this Friday.

Meanwhile, the best deal on Leopard pre-orders continues come by way of Amazon.com, which does not charge sales tax and is offering an instant $20 off Leopard single license and $10 off the family pack, bringing the costs down to $109, and $189, respectively. Amazon is also offering deals on Leopard Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I highly doubt they will ship before the launch date. My iPod Touch was in "prepared for shipment" for a week and a half before it shipped out, and Leopard itself has been in "prepared for shipment" for me for about 3 days.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I'd rather Apple just dropped the 3D metaphor for the Dock surface. It's really, really, REALLY annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

I highly doubt they will ship before the launch date. My iPod Touch was in "prepared for shipment" for a week and a half before it shipped out, and Leopard itself has been in "prepared for shipment" for me for about 3 days.

They will definitely ship before launch day. They probably won't arrive before launch day, however.

Apple states clear as day on the web site that Leopard orders will deliver on the 26th. That means most likely we'll get those deliveries sometime between 10 am and 4 pm, just hours before the retail stores start selling it.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd rather Apple just dropped the 3D metaphor for the Dock surface. It's really, really, REALLY annoying.

It would be nice if eventually Apple added this to the system preferences, as an option to be 3D or not no matter what the orientation. But from all reports, its 2D on the sides, and 3D on the bottom.

Jobs was probably willing to concede the side view anomalies, but he obviously likes the 3D on the bottom enough to stick to his guns for now.

But hey, we eventually got the scale effect for minimizing after years of badgering Apple. I suspect a simple line or two in the Terminal will change the Dock appearance for those too impatient to wait.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like the 3D dock, but I like this better!

I like that it has a clear line (as does Tiger) between the icons and the workspace. I like to have my windows right up to the dock, and that visual division parallel to the window edge looks better to me than icons floating on the background only (which one edge of them does with the 3D dock).
  • Reply 6 of 22
    i ordered leopard and a hard drive at the same time under standard shipping. AFter my hard drive shipped, my shipping method changed to priority overnight. This means that it leaves thursday and will arrive before 1030 am as stated on the fed ex website.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123

They will definitely ship before launch day. They probably won't arrive before launch day, however.

Apple states clear as day on the web site that Leopard orders will deliver on the 26th. That means most likely we'll get those deliveries sometime between 10 am and 4 pm, just hours before the retail stores start selling it.

Excuse me, that's what I meant. Anywhere you see "ship" or "shipped out" replace it with "arrive."
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, the best deal on Leopard pre-orders continues come by way of Amazon.com, which does not charge sales tax and is offering an instant $20 off Leopard single license and $10 off the family pack, bringing the costs down to $109, and $189, respectively. Amazon is also offering deals on Leopard Server.

Better deal at L.A. Computer Company (from an email they sent me)...

Mac OS X Leopard arrives this Friday Night October 26th

Come get your copy at our special price from 6pm to 8pm or Order On-line

Single User - $99 (Offer is good till Sat Oct 27th)

Family Pack - $175 install on up to five computers in your household (Offer is good till Sat Oct 27th)

You Can also Order on line at:

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...cgi?group=soft
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    You might want to mention in the story that the seed of Leopard on torrent sites is a fake.

http://detropbits.blogspot.com/
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Family Pack - $175 install on up to five computers in your household (Offer is good till Sat Oct 27th)

That's really cheap. Anyone else ever use this company? I've never heard of them... and I live near L.A.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Better deal at L.A. Computer Company (from an email they sent me)...

Mac OS X Leopard arrives this Friday Night October 26th

Come get your copy at our special price from 6pm to 8pm or Order On-line

Single User - $99 (Offer is good till Sat Oct 27th)

Interesting. It's $4.46 cheaper than at Amazon with no tax. Amazon should deliver on Friday. I don't know about the LA store. I'll let my order with Amazon stand.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't see how Amazon can deliver on Friday. Apple's not letting anyone have it early.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't see how Amazon can deliver on Friday. Apple's not letting anyone have it early.

Friday is not early. From what I remember, Amazon shipped Tiger to me on the Apple release date.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    The news about Samsung having 128GB Flash Memory available is great to hear, but what I've been really curious about is whether they have the 16GB cards available for the next round of iPod Touch/ iPhone... Both the iPhone and iPod touch use 8GB cards (the touch using 2). I know it seems like I may be "jumpin' the gun" on an iPhone update, but I have a feeling that the 16GB devices are right around the corner. Any word on this?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It would be nice if eventually Apple added this to the system preferences, as an option to be 3D or not no matter what the orientation. But from all reports, its 2D on the sides, and 3D on the bottom.

Jobs was probably willing to concede the side view anomalies, but he obviously likes the 3D on the bottom enough to stick to his guns for now.

Though I prefer Dock at the bottom these widescreen displays make the left side a more effective place. I'm very happy for this change as the 3D Dock does look funky sideways.

There have been previous hacks/tools to remove and alter the Dock background so it won't be long before you'll get your pick. But I suspect Apple may eventually offer the option themselves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

The news about Samsung having 128GB Flash Memory available is great to hear, but what I've been really curious about is whether they have the 16GB cards available for the next round of iPod Touch/ iPhone... Both the iPhone and iPod touch use 8GB cards (the touch using 2). I know it seems like I may be "jumpin' the gun" on an iPhone update, but I have a feeling that the 16GB devices are right around the corner. Any word on this?

I could have sworn this was 128GBit, not GByte. Making it the smallest 16GB chip to date.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Leopard is shipping from the Apple Store as priority overnight, for free, which will guarantee delivery on Oct 26. So those copies will arrive before 6 PM on Friday. So if you are not going to be home, be sure to print out the FedEx signature release form for your front door. The Apple shipment confirmation email should have a link.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Friday is not early. From what I remember, Amazon shipped Tiger to me on the Apple release date.

Leopard orders on Amazon show an "estimated arrival" date of Oct. 29 (if you choose one-day shipping) or Oct. 30 (if you choose two-day shipping). Of course, it's always possible that Amazon will ship early, so the OS is delivered on Friday Oct. 26 -- but that's not too likely.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Getting it on Oct 29 or 30 might not be a bad thing. It will give you a chance for someone else to see if there are any issues.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I know for sure that I got Tiger before noon on the day of its release (one of those memorable moments in life you never forget *g*); and back then it was officially also only sold after 6 pm.

So I expect it would / should / could be the same with Leopard, too
  • Reply 20 of 22
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Actually, the goal now is 1TB flash using 3D technology. Expected soon. Just magine!