Leopard (OS X 10.5) Compatability

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know what level of compatibility can be expected from the new OS X in terms of 10.4 software? Should the majority of the 10.4 software be expected to work out of the box? Does 10.5 do anything drastically different that will cause problems with all the programs I know and love? I assume there will definitely be the odd program that doesn't work perfectly at first, but by in large, what is to be expected?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post

Does anyone know what level of compatibility can be expected from the new OS X in terms of 10.4 software? Should the majority of the 10.4 software be expected to work out of the box? Does 10.5 do anything drastically different that will cause problems with all the programs I know and love? I assume there will definitely be the odd program that doesn't work perfectly at first, but by in large, what is to be expected?

What software are you referring to; like last years iLife or something? Is it Apple software, or do you mean like Adobe CS2. Everything should run on it. Mac OS isn't like windows. You wont see those kinds of problems with it.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    favorite apps right now: mailplane, unison, acrobat, Word 2008, Fetch.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

If you are running Word 2008, then you are not permitted to discuss it here.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Did you not sign a NDA pertaining to Word 2008?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    For me, Leopard (the latest seed available to ADC members) works with 99% of the apps I use, and 87% of statistics are made up on the spot. But in seriousness these apps work:

MS Office 2004

Adobe CS2 & 3

iWork 06 and 08

iLife 06 and 08

Toast

ARD 3.2

Citrix

Cyberduck

Filemaker 6

Google Notifier

Adium 1.1.3

Suitcase X1

Linotype Font Explorer

IPSecuritas

Stuffit 11

VLC

xScope

Fiery Utilities (CWS)

IE 5.2.3

Does not work:

Full Key Codes

ALL Classic apps
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Outsider: Thats a helpful list, thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Mr. Me: If I signed an NDA, surely I wouldn't be in a position to confirm or deny the fact that I performed such an action?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    thanks outsiders, that helps

How about Office X for Mac? does it work with 10.5?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Can someone please share their experience using Office for Mac X and 2004 in Leopard? How is the overall performance of Office in Leopard compared to Tiger?

Thanks
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

For me, Leopard (the latest seed available to ADC members) works with 99% of the apps I use, and 87% of statistics are made up on the spot. But in seriousness these apps work:

Toast

Which version?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    ACS 3 Design Premium

AJoiner 2.2

1Password 2.5.2

Firefox 2.0.0.8

HimmelBar 2.4.3

Neo Office 2.2.2 with Patch 0

Intego NetBarrierX 4 10.4.3

Intego VirusBarrierX4 10.4.4

Pacifist 2.5.1

Speeddownload 4.1.16

Stuffit Deluxe 12

Transmission 0.91

Transmit 3.6.1

UnrarX 2.2

Vuescan 8.4.43

Amazing Slow Downer X 3.1.7 (Audio App)

Audio Comapion X 1.3.4

Amadeus Pro 1.1.1

Office 2004 (All except Messanger as it is not installed)

All the above are working normally apart from some issue with Office 2004 apps which where there before leopard upgrade and haven't got any worse or better.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about these

quicken 2003

ilumina bible program(on my wifes mb)

superduper

iPhoto 5

flip 4 mac

cano scan lide

toast titanium
  • Reply 13 of 19
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Flip4Mac

iPhoto 5 - Just an assumption but how could it not be supported?

Microsoft Office 2004 - Everything seems to be working fine.

Pro apps - FCP, Motion etc. all works

To add to the list and answer some questions.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what about these

quicken 2003

ilumina bible program(on my wifes mb)

superduper

iPhoto 5

flip 4 mac

cano scan lide

toast titanium

Flip4Mac works normally (which is to say barely)

Toast Titanium 8 works well.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I'm using Toast Titanium 7 right now, and it's working fine.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    both work as well or slightly faster in leopard than tiger.

all in all leopard works great and is fast

disk permissions is super slow in leopard - anyone else notice this or knows why?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Oki Data printer drivers do not work, and it will be six weeks before they have Leopard drivers ready. Aaargh!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Issues I've run into so far (with a clean install):

1) Flip4Mac will not allow you to register with a clean install unless you use the Flip4Mac Beta. Problem with a missing eSellerate engine.

2) Pixen 3.0 does not work?at all. You must use 3.1b.

3) A lot of icons for 3rd party apps are low resolution in Coverflow view.

4) Repair Permissions (Disk Utility) takes FOREVER (5 to 20 minutes, depending on system), and returns an error about ARDagent.app and ACL on "Applications".

5) Since AIImageViewWithImagePicker is disabled (or non-existent) on 10.5, applications which used it (ie. Adium), now have that functionality disabled.

6) You must make SURE that you tell Time Machine to omit the directory for a VM using VMWare Fusion and Windows Vista. If you have a Windows Vista VM running while Time Machine attempts to backup, it will freeze both the virtual machine and the backup procedure, and may corrupt your entire VM.

7) Verify Disk (Disk Utility) also takes forever.

8) For some reason, holding down "C" at startup to boot do a CD does NOT work with an Intel Core Duo iMac (Gen. 1) and the new wired Apple Keyboard.

9) Miro v0.9.9.1 and v0.9.9.9rc0 return an AttributeError at startup (but still functions). v0.9.9.1 does not properly save the "Run Miro at startup" preferences in Miro's preferences. v0.9.9.9rc0 does.

10) The PDF printer for Adobe Acroboat Professional (and select versions of the Adobe Creative Suite 3 that include it) is currently broken. Expected fix is January '08. There are other problems with select applications in CS3, although they are mostly with the video editing applications and I have Web Premium, so I can't tell you about those.

11) NAT Port Mapping is broken in Transmission v0.90 and v0.91 when using an Apple AirPort Extreme.

#4 seems to be a widespread issue (not sure I'm ready to call it a "problem"). I believe everyone who has done the Apple Remote Desktop update via Software Update is affected. The Apple Discussion Forums are littered with people asking about the issue. The reason everything takes so long is because Disk Utility has not been updated to use the new indexing system used by Spotlight.

#8 is particularly perplexing to me.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Does anybody know if virtual pc version 7 will run on leopard on a G5?