Intel chief a Mac user; Leopard retail teaser; iPhone in Canada

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Intel chief executive Paul Otellini in a new interview concedes to being a Mac and iPhone user. Meanwhile, Apple has issued a Leopard retail teaser. And a new contest hints that iPhone could arrive in Canada as early as January.

Otellini a Mac user

In a sound-off interview with BusinessWeek, Intel boss Paul Otellini was asked about Apple's knack for selling top-dollar merchandise. His response?

"My wife and I both have iPhones. My wife came in with a jacket for her phone. She was all excited," he said. "It's a flimsy little thing. It cost $39. It probably cost 6¢ to make."

Otellini then added that he uses an IBM ThinkPad for work but a MacBook Pro for his personal life, including his personal photos and music.

All Leopard. All Night.

Meanwhile, Apple on Wednesday sent a new Leopard retail teaser to its mailing list subscribers (below).

From 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 26, the company's retail stores will host an "All Leopard. All Night." event that will include live demos, free T-shirts to the first 500 visitors to each store, and the chance to take Mac OS X Leopard for a test drive.

iPhone in Canada in January?

Finally, a giveaway from Canadian brewer Molson may provide a hint as to when the iPhone will be available in the country, according to Electronista.

The Devisse et Compte (translating to "Twist and Score") contest for French-speaking Canadians lists the iPhone as one of the available prizes and claims the device will be available exclusively from Rogers Wireless in January of next year. The price of the phone is listed as $800 Canadian ($828 US) but is known to be an arbitrary value relating to the nature of the contest, which asks entrants to pick one or more potential prizes that reach a set spending limit.

Despite the lack of an official announcement by either Apple or Rogers, the iPhone in question would be a legitimate offering rather than an unlocked model, according to checks with customer service agents by Mobile in Canada.

The Rogers version will require a contract to be used, though Molson did not have details as to the length or features of the term, which may vary significantly from past iPhone deals.

Most Canadian cellular providers, including Rogers, offer the choice of a three-year contract for their devices (versus a maxmimum two years for American firms) and typically encourage these agreements over shorter terms. Rogers in particular has also drawn criticism in recent months for excessive data plan rates which many believe would preclude bringing the iPhone to Canada.

Apple has so far demanded unlimited Internet access plans in each country scheduled to use the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The guided tour is worth watching. I was particularly interested in the Time Machine chapter although it left me with more questions after watching it. I tend to rename my folders after I complete a project or after collecting some assets together. I'm wondering how TM handles that.

m
  • Reply 2 of 27
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sweet! (and my contract is set to expire in April!)

Now if only Apple would get to making Ireland's iPhone Nano...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Why it took so long Mr. Paul Otellini?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    A MacBook Pro and a ThinkPad? Why would you need both?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    This is the best iPhone in Canada rumor yet!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    $800? $800? $800?

Criminal.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    He probably uses the ThinkPad at work because setting his coffee directly on his 6000$ desk might leave a mark. And do you expect the Intel Chief to buy a regular coaster? I think not!

Besides having a mac in the office is taboo isn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

$800? $800? $800?

Criminal.

Please calm down.

Quote:

The price of the phone is listed as $800 Canadian ($828 US) but is known to be an arbitrary value relating to the nature of the contest, which asks entrants to pick one or more potential prizes that reach a set spending limit.

This does not necessarily have anything to do with the actuall retail price--this is a "contest price."
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

He probably uses the ThinkPad at work because setting his coffee directly on his 6000$ desk might leave a mark. And do you expect the Intel Chief to buy a regular coaster? I think not!

Besides having a mac in the office is taboo isn't it?

Thinkpad as coaster--priceless.

In all seriousness--I doubt he wants to piss off MS and all the PC vendors by saying "I only need a Mac" even if it were true.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    As long as Apple can put the hammer on Rogers for unlimited data I am there.

If not then the iPhone bill will be roughly the same as your mortgage payment. Will end up being quite happy with the iTouch instead and keep my Blackberry...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    800$ Tabarnak!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 27

Mother of all that is holy and true.

PS. Thank god for wifi in Downtown T.O.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    He probably uses a Thinkpad based on the specific PC software he uses.

The All Leopard All Night (but only till 10) reminds me of getting to the UK a month ago. Walking around and seeing places simply putting their closing hour as "Late." Find out that "late" is 10 PM.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Sweet deal, I wonder what the actual price will be. Maybee Apple can actually smack some sense into rogers about the data plans.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

In all seriousness--I doubt he wants to piss off MS and all the PC vendors by saying "I only need a Mac" even if it were true.

He runs Ubuntu on the Thinkpad*.

*I don't know if this is actually true.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Chill out -- in the same page they value the iPod Classic 80gb to 700$
  • Reply 17 of 27
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I wish there was more competition in Canada. Currently Bell, Rogers and Telus basically tell us how much we have to pay and if we don't like it, too bad.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

He probably uses a Thinkpad based on the specific PC software he uses.

The All Leopard All Night (but only till 10) reminds me of getting to the UK a month ago. Walking around and seeing places simply putting their closing hour as "Late." Find out that "late" is 10 PM.

He may be CEO, but IT hates it when people use non-approved hardware/software. Everyone at my company is issued a T-Series ThinkPad running XP SP1. No changes, period.

But to his credit, the ThinkPads are probably the mst reliable, solid laptops on the market. If I were getting a PC laptop, it'd be a ThinkPad.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Apple has so far demanded unlimited Internet access plans in each country scheduled to use the iPhone.

Perhaps Rogers will offer a limited "unlimited" plan, like O2.

ZDnet reports that "unlimited" for the iPhone in the UK means 200MB/mth

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331855b,00.htm
  • Reply 20 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Perhaps Rogers will offer a limited "unlimited" plan, like O2.

ZDnet reports that "unlimited" for the iPhone in the UK means 200MB/mth

I wonder if would really be a problem. One really can't download much or use it tethered for internet service to a computer anyway.