Retrospect 5.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a Retro 4.3 Backup server Mac (OS 9). It backs up 2 ASIP Servers and a FileMaker Pro Server (all in OS 9 with the Retro 4.3 client).

I just got my Retro 5.0 (multiple Server) License today. I have updated my 4.3 app on my Retro server Mac and it looks perfect. The scripts are OK, the catalogs are fine, and the (4.3) clients showed up without a hitch. I even did a test recover and a test backup. No probs.

As it stands, my Retro backup server is still in OS 9, but now its running Retro 5. All my clients are still in OS 9 (for a while) and they still run the Retro 4.3 client extensio...

Question: Do I really need to update the 4.3 clients to 5.0? Any "gothcas" I should look out for? I hate to bring down my ASIP servers for the update, but then again, I dont want Retro 5.0 killing my ASIP servers due to an incompatability...

Any other word of wisdom regarding the move to Retro 5.0?

I plan on moving the Retro backup server to OS X in a couple months.

I plan on moving the FileMaker Pro server to X in a couple weeks.

I plan on deploying 2 XServes this year to replace my ASIP servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    go through their web page. when it first came out it had horrendous stability issues. granted i was backing up a few dozen machines, but still, it was really bad. they would get some stupid error message and just crash. totally crappy.

eventually they hotpatched it, but it didn't really work all the time yet. then i got a new job, so don't know where it's standing now.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I know that some users had problems running the Retro app on the same Mac as ASIP servers. I learned a long time ago NEVER RUN A BUNCH OF APPS ON A SERVER! (well, especially on an ASIP server on OS 9!) ASIP is pretty weak, and OS 9 in general isn't the most stable OS out there. I do back up 2 ASIP servers, but I do it over the LAN from a dedicated Retro box.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I know that some users had problems running the Retro app on the same Mac as ASIP servers. I learned a long time ago NEVER RUN A BUNCH OF APPS ON A SERVER! (well, especially on an ASIP server on OS 9!) ASIP is pretty weak, and OS 9 in general isn't the most stable OS out there. I do back up 2 ASIP servers, but I do it over the LAN from a dedicated Retro box.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ASIP was the worst server product to come out of Apple. It was unstable and crash-prone (mostly because of the old OS). I'm recommending all my ASIP clients upgrade to OS X Server. The new version rocks!

I have a few who have upgraded already and have not had to reboot once since they did it. Retrospect works great ont he new OS (as long as you don't use Adaptec SCSI cards, Initio ones I recommend). I have one client running OS X Sever (both Macs and PC connecting), CommuniGate Pro Mail server, FileMaker Pro Server, Retrospect, PHP / MySQL / Apache with multiple sites all on a 450Mhz G4 and it sings along just fine and rock-solid!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    DevNull: Are your clients running Jaguar Server or 10.1.x?

Whats the deal with Adaptec and OS X? Nobody trusts them! My ASIP servers all have Adaptec 29160 cards (expensive too), I would hate to replace them when I go to OS X Server. I am considering buying XServes instead of towers, maybe thats the way to go.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    DevNull: Are your clients running Jaguar Server or 10.1.x?

Whats the deal with Adaptec and OS X? Nobody trusts them! My ASIP servers all have Adaptec 29160 cards (expensive too), I would hate to replace them when I go to OS X Server. I am considering buying XServes instead of towers, maybe thats the way to go.