Single User License; Multiple PCs?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Another reason serial numbers are stupid for Apple is because you need to plop down 1000$ + on hardware to run the damned OS. Damned GOOD OS that is...
  • Reply 22 of 31
    yes, apple hardware is really a very expensive hardware dongle for their system software. they probably don't bother with serial numbers because they've already made money on the hardware and it's not worth the effort and time/money to engineer a serial number system.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Ok so we have two macs in the house, and will only buying a single copy screw anything up? Like I guess what I am trying to say, I'm a broke student with a macbook, and my dad wants to buy leopard and I want to use his copy. Both of us registered our macs when we bought them, will this work?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foolio21 View Post

Ok so we have two macs in the house, and will only buying a single copy screw anything up? Like I guess what I am trying to say, I'm a broke student with a macbook, and my dad wants to buy leopard and I want to use his copy. Both of us registered our macs when we bought them, will this work?

Yeah, it'll work but your dad will go to prison.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Yeah, it'll work but your dad will go to prison.

Oh, that's cold....

I like it.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    If the two computers with the same license are connected to a network, wouldn't they detect each other?

I know Microsoft Office for Mac does that. I installed it on two mac computers in my house and when they are both connected to the network, I get a pop that says "Two Mircrosoft office licesnses are active. Microsoft Word will shut down now."
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

The reason Apple hasn't done the whole serial number thing is that it's easy to get a serial for potential abusers... (heard of warez before?), and it's a pain in the ass for people who legitimately pay. There is not a single software package out there that cannot be pirated. Look at Windows XP... cracked the day it came out. Look at HDDVD... cracked before it even came out. Etc etc.

Food for thought.

Two guys *paying* for a *5-user license*, and only using *two* installs would only get the ire of Apple users. *sigh*

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but iWork is serial number based, or at least my copy of iWork '05 was that I received as an Apple Retail employee a few years ago. Any current iWork users out there that at least can confirm a serial system for iWork '08? I know its not the OS, but serialization of iWork does have relevance when discussing Apple's approach to software.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw View Post

If the two computers with the same license are connected to a network, wouldn't they detect each other?

I know Microsoft Office for Mac does that. I installed it on two mac computers in my house and when they are both connected to the network, I get a pop that says "Two Mircrosoft office licesnses are active. Microsoft Word will shut down now."

Omni Group applications do this too - I think it's good. Means I can install legally on any number of machines, and run on any of them. Not all license systems do that though, so no, not necessarily in answer to the question.

Lots of software just checks the serial once and installs, some phones home to register itself and the like. MacOS doesn't even need a serial, it trusts you - which is one reason why I've ordered the family pack - they're playing fair, so it would seem wrong not to.

Cheers,

Martin
  • Reply 29 of 31
    If I use the single user license and install it on all my computer at home. Does it mean that I can't use two computers on the same network at the same time. I can remember with Microsoft Office, I bought one on my college campus, but the serial numbers were shared, which meant that if somebody else was using MS Office on the same network it would not function unless we came off the network.

Is that the difference between the family pack and single user pack?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I doubt the cd will use any sort of differential license at all. Install leopard on to any computer you want. Nothing is going to happen except that you're immoral. It's illegal, and should not be encouraged, but I'm pretty sure you could just burn the cd....apple doesn't care. They're not Adobe, you get this for free with a computer starting tomorrow anyways. They're literally giving it out.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    At least in Tiger's case, the only difference between the single user and family pack version was the EULA in the box. Everything else was the same.

As far as serial numbers go, Apple uses serials in all their pro products as well as iWork (I don't consider iWork a pro product) so it isn't like they would need to expend much effort to add to OS X installs if they wanted. OS X server requires a serial after all. But, Jobs has used this as a slight against MS' use of serials / activation causing consumer headaches so he probably wouldn't want this to come back and bite him by requiring serials for Leopard.

This will be the first time an Intel native version of OS X is available over the counter though. Until tomorrow night, the only way to get an Intel native version of OS X is with the purchase of an Intel Mac.