Advice on new purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking at getting a new Mac for home. Currently, I have a very sad and tired iMac G3 600 (just to show everyone that I am way behind).

I was wondering what people thought about buying a refurbished iMac 24" 2.16GHz w/1GB memory & 250GB hard drive vs. the 20" 2.4GHz w/1GB memory & 320GB hard drive (both at almost the same price).

Most of the things I use at home are iPhoto and iTunes, web and e-mail, and on occasion some work items (print design work). By getting this computer, I would like to be able to do more work at home (at work I use an original G5 tower and Mac mini).

I am not new to Macs, love to use them and can be very dangerous around them (just have enough knowledge to know that I need to visit a forum like this to make the right decision). I have very little knowledge of speed and new features (see G3 600) so I hope there is someone out here willing to help - thanks for the time!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I assume the graphics chip in the refurb 24" is the 7300GT. Not that it matters, nothing you listed requires more 3D graphics power.

Sounds like the 24" would be a superior choice. More screen space, and the screen is better quality. The speed difference between it and the new machine is negligible and you won't be able to notice it without benchmarking.

It would be a good idea to buy and install an additional 2GB memory chip separately, no matter which machine you get.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Agreed. The bigger screen (and better quality) is the deal-winner.

I agree about the ram as well. 1GB more is enough, bringing you up to 2GB total. Ram's hella cheap anyway, like $35 at eshop.macsales.com

You mac will be much faster and happier, and fairly future-proofed for another 8 years

Prepare to be blown away; intel based Macs are amazing.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphin' Mojo View Post

I am looking at getting a new Mac for home. Currently, I have a very sad and tired iMac G3 600 (just to show everyone that I am way behind).

I was wondering what people thought about buying a refurbished iMac 24" 2.16GHz w/1GB memory & 250GB hard drive vs. the 20" 2.4GHz w/1GB memory & 320GB hard drive (both at almost the same price).

Be sure to consider the cost of Leopard upgrade and .mac subscription (since you might want the "Back to my Mac" feature for home/work computer networking) as the older iMac will come without but the newer mac will come with. Although if you need a family pack leopard install disc anyway (for your multiple computers), then it doesn't matter, I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thank you, everyone, for the help and advice. I was leaning towards the larger screen but I hadn't considered the additional ram so I will do that. As for "Back to my Mac" - I will also give that a try. It will save on all the e-mails back and forth.