Another Boring Internet Explorer Update (5.2.2)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    [quote]If there's a site that OmniWeb struggles with, I always know that IE won't let me down. I need IE for my online banking and fund management. <hr></blockquote>

Exactly.

90% of people don't want to monkey around with multiple browsers, one of them being me.

I can only think of 2-3 sites that IE5 hasnt worked in - but that was because of lazy developers.

It's not that i don't WANT to use other browsers - it's just none of them are quite at 100% righ tnow.

and IE5 has been at 100% (ok ok, 95%) since 1999.

1999!!

Man, that's a long time ago.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>Is it the placebo effect or is this faster? It feels faster to me. I'm really happy with this update 5.2.2. Definitely faster, smoother and happier.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you're right: scrolling seems to have picked up a bit more gusto, rendering feels better and the contextual menu behaviour is a lot more consistent and stable.

I'll go and check later to see if the irritating thing 5.2.1 occasionally did on multiple-image pages (like, not actually loading them all!) has been cured, ditto the "bits of text missing" bug, although that can be worked around by clicking the toolbar widget twice.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Yes, it has been said that IE6 will be OSX-only.

Note, however, that this does NOT mean it will be cocoa. I strongly doubt it will be cocoa because that would mean throwing away all of the current code and starting from scratch again. Somehow I doubt Microsoft is that dedicated to the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just downloaded <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.asp?FinishURL=/downloads/release.asp %3Freleaseid%3D32210%26area%3Dtop%26ordinal%3D3%26 redirect%3Dno" target="_blank">IE6</a> for my work PC today. In fact, they already have the first <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=42706&area=top&ordinal=4"; target="_blank">service pack</a> for this release. So I am guessing that IE6 will not be OS X only
  • Reply 24 of 30
    I just downloaded Netwcape 7 after reading a post from someone who thinks it the fastest now. I must say it is fast. However, I'm not sure I like the interface as much as IE 5.2.2. I'm going to try using it for a while today. So far it is pretty fast. It'd hard to stray from IE when that is what you are comfortable with for years.

Don't find display font control in Netscape. That may be a deal breaker for me. I'm having to look at this in Courier ? I hate Courier. If I can't lose this font, I'm back to IE 5.2.2.

Netscape 7 fails to download some pages on my Cube, so it's back to old reliable IE 5.2.2 for me. Sorry Netescape lovers. I just don't get it.

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 30
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Okay, I see the logic in all your points, kelib, except this: What agreement? Do you mean the five-year agreement that expired earlier this year? Even if this contract was still in effect, how would Microsoft be benefiting? During the stated time period, Apple had already agreed to bundle IE as the default browser.</strong><hr></blockquote> True. What I actually meant was that MS benefitted from their SW being installed and used on the Mac, regardless of the agreement of course. There's less pirated software in circulation for Mac than Windows. Mac users spend more money on SW than PC users do. At least that used to be the case.

I just thought the now expired agreement played a big role in MS SW being pre-installed on Macs. Maybe that's not the case.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is there anything different in 5.2.2 from 5.1 outside of security updates, Quartz Smoothing, and Interface Extras?

Does anyone know anything about IE6?

Brad, anyone, do you know if Microsoft will ever update Office to handle long file names? (longer than 32 letters.) This is ridiculous, I think I'm going to write to Microsoft right now. Ridiculous. For the price they charge... Ridiculous...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Yes. 5.2.2 is definitely faster and more reliable. IMHO.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    someone asked ... here's the answer...

IE 5.2.2 still has a problem rendering text.

It occasionally leaves blank spots in text, or puts vertical lines in place of some words .... what's up with that ?

Seems like it should be an easy enough fix and is certainly a MAJOR bug (clicking a few times in the text field fixes it, but why should i have to deal with that ?)
  • Reply 29 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>and on top of it all - it's still arguably the best Mac browser out there.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Time for another urinalysis.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:

<strong>IE 5.2.2 still has a problem rendering text.

It occasionally leaves blank spots in text, or puts vertical lines in place of some words .... what's up with that ?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems to be related to how IE gets along with Quartz: if you turn off Quartz text smoothing in Preferences, it won't happen (but looks ugly). The quickest workaround is to click the toolbar widget twice.