Extensive Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard screenshot gallery

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With Leopard already in the hands of some customers, the launch less than a day ahead, and Apple's legal hounds safely at home in their kennels, AppleInsider has produced a comprehensive screenshot gallery from the shipping version of the new Mac OS.

At least some Mac users report having received their shipping copies of Leopard on Thursday, more than 24 hours in advance of the officially scheduled debut on October 26th at 6PM -- and at least one user has posted video evidence of the fact on YouTube.

The shipping package is far smaller than the original Tiger box and is just larger than the DVD and basic documentation, but is considerably flashier: a holograph-like "X" and star field grace the front.

Separate reports have appeared of retail copies appearing at official Apple stores as well as third-party resellers, all of whom are expected to sit tight on their copies until the 6PM mark, even while some customers are already using the new software.

For those still waiting for the retail launch or are still waiting for their shipments to arrive, AppleInsider has provided a full collection of images exploring the better part of this sixth update to Mac OS X. We start with images of the completely reworked Finder and its preferences, the high-quality icons for Apple's default applications, and the new version of Mail.

Our gallery's second page continues the look at Mail and moves on to Software Update, iChat, Spaces, and Safari 3. Page three wraps up Safari screenshots and takes a peek at QuickLook in the Finder, the updated versions of iCal and the Preview image app, and Time Machine. Jump ahead to page four for views of the updated control panels in System Preferences. And finally, page five wraps up with a view of .Mac's integration with Leopard, network settings, the enhanced parental controls, Stacks, and the visually revamped Dock.

Also, don't forget to check out our Road to Mac OS X Leopard series, installments of which are listed below:

Time MachineSpacesFinder 10.5Mail 3.0Dock 1.6iChat 4.0iCal 3.0Safari 3.0Dictionary 2.0Preview 4.0Dashboard, Spotlight and the DesktopSystem PreferencesParental Controls and Directory ServicesQuickTime, iTunes, and Media FeaturesWhat's new in Mac OS X Leopard Server

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Err... I see nothing but a very large blank space. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 77
    geo06geo06 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Err... I see nothing but a very large blank space. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

using a pc?
  • Reply 3 of 77
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    I wonder just how distracting the translucent menus are. Any screenshots of those anywhere?
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Right click where there should be pics: then select "Show picture".
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

I wonder just how distracting the translucent menus are. Any screenshots of those anywhere?

Right here, my friend:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=374271&page=4

There not actually as bad as people have been led to believe. Pretty cool, I'd say.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    it's all so girly.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghiangelo View Post

it's all so girly.

Do elaborate.

If the shiny purple and pink default desktop picture doesn't suit your fancy, you could always change it.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Why is Steve still using a G4 PowerBook? :-?
  • Reply 9 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    At last, Mail's red badge has the option to show ALL new mail, even if rules have auto-sorted them to different folders

Until now, if I want the Mail icon to tell me I have mail, I couldn't have that mail auto-sorted into folders, I'd have to let everything stuff my Inbox and stay there
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Why is Steve still using a G4 PowerBook? :-?

at least we know Leopard can work on it.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    They forgot the best one :

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~perekdr/...easter_egg.jpg

Its the icon for when windows PCs are networked.

• Reply 12 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

The hysteria about translucent menus is entirely irrational, and yet is being repeated even in positive mainstream reviews. Ah, the power of the bandwagon to make us fret!

I say "irrational" because:

* We're talking SLIGHT transparency.

* Tiger ALREADY HAS transparent menus! The new ones are the same, with an added background blur effect that only improves readability further. AND removes the last vestiges of pinstripes too. So the menus are significantly MORE readable in Leopard than before (not that people were suffering in Tiger anyway).

* The top menu bar was too transparent in early private releases of leopard, but that was fixed long ago.

* Currently, the "worst" the top menu bar can ever be is black on a fairly light, readable gray, ,uch like Windows menus already are and Mac menus used to be, and like much text has always been in OS X (metal window titles, for instance). Only with white edging/emboss on the letters to sharpen them up and make them more readable. The "worst case" menu bar setting is more readable than lots of UI text we use every day.

* But that's the worst case, with a black background, and any desktop picture lighter than that brightens the menu bar too. It CAN be pure white, same as Tiger, if you wish. The new menu bar is CUSTOMIZABLE, and personalized. If Apple took this feature away, people would complain that Apple doesn't let you personalize

* Change always makes people hurt deep down inside, but somehow we survive it
  • Reply 13 of 77
    I liked the Easter Egg...
  • Reply 14 of 77
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    How strange that there is to-do in Mail and to-do in iCal?
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Do elaborate.

If the shiny purple and pink default desktop picture doesn't suit your fancy, you could always change it.

hey don't look at me. the girly thing was brought up in the iChat window screenshot... along with the pink word balloons.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    is iPhoto dropped in Leopard? i don't see it mentioned anywhere..
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:

How strange that there is to-do in Mail and to-do in iCal?

In fact, To Do's are a system-wide feature. So when you create a to do in Mail, it automatically appears in iCal, and vice-versa.

Quote:

is iPhoto dropped in Leopard? i don't see it mentioned anywhere..

iPhoto isn't part of Mac OS X, it's part of iLife, and iLife's not bundled with Mac OS.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    DAMN YOU, AQUA SCROLLBARS!!!
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Whoever wrote this did a good job of editing out their personal information. However, there is one screenshot where it was missed.

Haha. Time to wreak havoc!
  • Reply 20 of 77
    I wonder if people will be able to design their own stationary templates. Apple templates are always great for friends and family but are always lacking in templates for small businesses.

Many of the graphics are gorgeous though!