Extensive Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard screenshot gallery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Do elaborate.

If the shiny purple and pink default desktop picture doesn't suit your fancy, you could always change it.

OK, it may not be "girly", but it certainly seems "metro".

So much attention to how it looks. Makes me question if there is much substance to the upgrade or is it really just "striking a pose".

Does it come with some hair product? I hope it does not spend all day looking at itself in the mirror.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    oh man...that's looking a whole lot better than 10.3.9 that im running on my G3 imac. hahaha.

and/or XP that i'm running on my 2 year old sony vaio.

can't wait for my new imac and 10.5.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Finally a view of the dock on the side! Why did it take so long?!

Anyway, I think it looks spiffy. In fact, I think I like it better than the glorious "3D" bottom dock. I think simpler, more straight-forward 2D look is better in practice, and still beautiful.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

I wonder just how distracting the translucent menus are. Any screenshots of those anywhere?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zzcoop View Post

DAMN YOU, AQUA SCROLLBARS!!!

I take it you're not bothered by the MANY other aqua/glassy elements in the UI? Why do people single out the scrollbars, when everything from the menu bar to the window gadgets to app buttons/sliders/checboxes are also aqua/glassy?

The UI is metal and glass. Changing the scrollbars won't get rid of that.

I liked the glass elements before Leopard, and I like them still
  • Reply 25 of 77
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GamoGuy View Post

Anyway, I think it looks spiffy. In fact, I think I like it better than the glorious "3D" bottom dock. I think simpler, more straight-forward 2D look is better in practice, and still beautiful.

Hear hear.

Dock on the side seems to be a better fit for he clean and uncluttered look of the new unified window style and the general vibe of the UI (excepting the inexplicable deep space woo woo of Time Machine).

For instance, this, from the Macrumors shots (the first I've seen of this, and, I might add, holy shit):

really goes with the whole shallow space, rectilinear, no nonsense feel, and for my money is much easier on the eyes, long haul, than bling.

Now, the only discordant note, IMO, is Stacks. That shot where the Stack is curving over a window of icons so that the Stack text labels are wandering off at odd angles on top of normal text labels, is mildly horrifying, If someone can write a hack pronto that restores hierarchical menu folder access from the dock, I'l have very little to bitch about and much to revel in. Much.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Okay fine, ALL the Aqua elements need to go. I was really hoping the more sophisticated (IMO) iTunes/iLife look would phase out Aqua for good? scrollbars, buttons, checkboxes, everything.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    How about the million dollar question...can Time Machine back up to an AirDisk? All the rumor sites are going back and forth on this one. Some say it was in developer previews, but others say it was removed from the GM release. Now that people have retail copies, it's time to settle this once and for all.

(The other two I'd love to have confirmed: can FrontRow play video_ts folders natively and will it run on Macs without IR?)
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Now to download a 'tiger' icon set to get rid of those horrid steps back in time they call folders.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Good grief, I'm really having second thoughts about Leopard... looks like Saturday morning cartoons. Yikes!!!
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

(The other two I'd love to have confirmed: can FrontRow play video_ts folders natively and will it run on Macs without IR?)

Not natively...my G3 iBook has Front Row AND can play VIDEO_TS folders...
  • Reply 31 of 77
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    great article AI, keep it up! thumbs up if only i know the smiley icon
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:

DAMN YOU, AQUA SCROLLBARS!!!

I know how freaking hard could it have been to change that.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Not natively...my G3 iBook has Front Row AND can play VIDEO_TS folders...

Good for you, congratulations. I'm impressed...not. Rumor has it that the new FrontRow in Leopard will now play video_ts folders without any hacks or scripts to trick it into doing it. And previous versions wouldn't normally let you install and run on a non-IR Mac (again, not without workarounds and hacks).

So with all due respect to your G3, I'll wait to hear from someone with Leopard to answer.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Is that a blue screen of death??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

They forgot the best one :

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~perekdr/...easter_egg.jpg

Its the icon for when windows PCs are networked.

• Reply 35 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GamoGuy View Post

If we take this screenshot as genuine, then you can have a 2D Dock in bottom position too. The lights of active applications make more sense and the white contour with the grey shade make it more sleek than before, in my opinion.

It was reported by Macrumors. Any independent confirmation?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If we take this screenshot as genuine, then you can have a 2D Dock in bottom position too. The lights of active applications make more sense and the white contour with the grey shade make it more sleek than before, in my opinion.

It was reported by Macrumors. Any independent confirmation?

Well, the hint to enable the 2-D dock in the bottom position was the very first 10.5 hint published by MacOSXhints.com, so yes, it's true and it works.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    My copy just arrived from Apple's UK webstore: 11am our time = 6am Eastern and 3am in fair Cupertino.

For ONCE it's good to be over here!

Nice box by the way. Quite a bit of reflective jiggery pokery on the outside.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Well, the hint to enable the 2-D dock in the bottom position was the very first 10.5 hint published by MacOSXhints.com, so yes, it's true and it works.

Thanks Mr. H. So, this means that Apple does not offer a System Preferences option to do the switch?
  • Reply 39 of 77
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Thanks Mr. H. So, this means that Apple does not offer a System Preferences option to do the switch?

Not yet. But clearly the possibility is now there if they get enough feedback demanding it. Seems like a no-brainer to me (allow people to choose in System Prefs), but then there are so many little no-brainer things about OS X that could be improved but aren't.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Quote:

Okay fine, ALL the Aqua elements need to go. I was really hoping the more sophisticated (IMO) iTunes/iLife look would phase out Aqua for good? scrollbars, buttons, checkboxes, everything.

I may be alone in this but I really hate the gray on gray on gray theme of iTunes. Worse is the black on black slider that Cover Flow uses. I personally prefer the high contrast that the aqua controls provide; It's quite easy to see which button option is active, which slider is selected, etc. All that gray, blue gray and black just makes all the controls blend in together.