gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Please delete this crap. Your post is anything but "adult."

No kidding! He was making a point!

Geez!
  • Reply 42 of 162
    [QUOTE=Abster2core;1163363]You, by far![/QUOTE

NO- the biggest dissapointment is the AppleTV- a $400 VHS quality- criossant warming piecs of you know what. Hey maybe I can use it as the external hard drive required in order to use Time Machine ( you know the $129 application in disguise as OS lepoard)! Why didn't Steve ever mention that we would need to buy an external hard drive on order to use this "new" OS? Never once mentioned in any preview until posted 2 weeks ago. Oh, I'm sorry -it must have been so obvious!
  • Reply 43 of 162
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the Sarbanes-Oxley Act got to do with this?

A joke maybe? lol
  • Reply 44 of 162
    [QUOTE=TECHSTUD;1163405]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You, by far![/QUOTE

NO- the biggest dissapointment is the AppleTV- a $400 VHS quality- criossant warming piecs of you know what. Hey maybe I can use it as the external hard drive required in order to use Time Machine ( you know the $129 application in disguise as OS lepoard)! Why didn't Steve ever mention that we would need to buy an external hard drive on order to use this "new" OS? Never once mentioned in any preview until posted 2 weeks ago. Oh, I'm sorry -it must have been so obvious!

Go back to your Vista will ya!

Leo is awesome and so will all the updates be, over the coming months.

p.s. My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.
  • Reply 45 of 162
    Let's take an ADULT look at this, shall we?

Suppose Apple had left this Wireless Backup in Leopard and it corrupted your data. Then you'd be crying, "Why didn't they take this out if it wasn't finished!"

I'm sure Apple didn't yank out the feature for the sole reason of pissing people off. For those that bought Airport Extreme's, take it back to the store.
  • Reply 46 of 162
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    Apple is looking like M$ with feature deletion.
  • Reply 47 of 162
    This issue on Apple ynking wireless backup is a no-brainer. Simple response to clear this matter with the MAC universe - It will take a week to backup a 1TB drive via Apple airport extreme (n)using Leopard and Time Machine and if the connection drops you have to start all over again. I truly believe that is why it was dropped. It takes me an hour to move 10gb via Airport extreme connected to a NAS drive. TOO SLOW to use as a networked backup for me and the family. DUH!
  • Reply 48 of 162
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

No kidding! He was making a point!

Geez!

There's making a point, but then there's beating a dead horse in doing so.
  • Reply 49 of 162
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Features drop out of development cycles. That is one of the fastest ways to make scheduled release dates. How would have felt if apple pushed back the release date by another month for just this feature? I'm sure some of you would have liked that, but a majority of us would not have. It's the way it goes with development. It is very hard to say we want this list of features in this product by this date and make it. It takes some serious team work, professional scheduling. Don't fret, it will show up in an update later on.
  • Reply 50 of 162
    I am another who purchased the Airport Extreme and had it ready to go in my home in anticipation of Leopard. We all use laptops and it made a lot more sense to do it wirelessly. This is very dissappointing.
  • Reply 51 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Features drop out of development cycles. That is one of the fastest ways to make scheduled release dates. How would have felt if apple pushed back the release date by another month for just this feature? I'm sure some of you would have liked that, but a majority of us would not have. It's the way it goes with development. It is very hard to say we want this list of features in this product by this date and make it. It takes some serious team work, professional scheduling. Don't fret, it will show up in an update later on.

Absolutely right, give me what they have now and I can wait for a few updates np. At least unlike after n years of trying to create a modern OS (Longhorn) Apple didn't give up and stick a crummy GUI on DOS and call it Vista

Hey guys, notice all the nergative crap comming from posters with like 1 or 2 posts? The Windoze brigade must be sooo jealous to have to intrude on our forums

Hint: ignore trolls
  • Reply 52 of 162
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

removing features in such an Orwellian style.

Now THAT's hyperbole. Not to mention questionable metaphor.

Apple must be double-plus bad.
  • Reply 53 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey guys, notice all the nergative crap comming from posters with like 1 or 2 posts? The Windoze brigade must be sooo jealous to have to intrude on our forums

Hint: ignore trolls

Funnily enough, everyone here once had 1 or 2 posts. The fact that they've increased their post count to any appreciable number is no reflection on the quality of their posts nor is it a tacit indicator of their positivity.

More people are joining the forums as more Apple products, whether they be an iPhone or a new computer, are being bought. I expect that people who recently switched to an Apple machine will have misgivings about the fact that Apple seem to routinely use a bit of hyperbole.

It's entirely reasonable, in my opinion, to expect Apple to ship what they advertised a week ago.

Given that this isn't the case, I'd at least hope that Apple would give some guidance on a feature whose omission will certainly affect those who purchased an AE(n) with the express intent of using it with Leopard as a network Time Machine backup.
  • Reply 54 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Coming from the person who says "windoze", that means so much.
  • Reply 55 of 162
    I feel bad for those who bought the AE(n) for Time Machine, but there are make-do's. I picked one up a month or so back because I wanted (n) and... it went with my new MBP. If all you want is a backup, I've been using my AE(n) for that on both my MBP and my PC -- there's other software (perhaps not as elegant for your needs, but if your primary focus is backing up, saving your data in case of catastrophe, they work great), some of them even do things Time Machine doesn't (for me, real time backup/sync is important). Also, the hacks posted here. Again, not perfect, but no doubt TM will be "fixed" in a coming update. Or, you can bring your AE(n) back. But, as bad as I feel for you, it beats corrupted data (if the feature was flaky and they included it). I'll take my backups any way I can get them.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Now THAT's hyperbole. Not to mention questionable metaphor.

Apple must be double-plus bad.

Ummm... hyperbole? How so? I'm thinking Animal Farm here, not 1984. The ever changing text on all animals being equal? i.e. the rewriting of statements that would leave people questioning whether or not it was a figment of their imagination. Apple have done it several times, we all know that.

Consider if you were a slightly less aware consumer, bought the product and then found the wonderful feature you'd read was going to be there wasn't - you'd probably go back to the web site where you thought you'd read about it only to find no trace.

I'm not trying to flame bait and even though I don't post hundreds of comments I am no troll, I just find it a little bit underhanded to take things away without explanation. We may well ass-u-me it will arrive later but an official statement wouldn't be amiss here.
  • Reply 57 of 162
    Well, guess I'm glad I haven't bought that 500GB external drive yet!

This sounds like something that will be enabled in a .1 or .2 update. Like someone said above, if there's any feature Apple needs to ship bug-free, it's this one. You can't ship a backup program for the masses if it's not going to work right out of the box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips

My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.

Off-topic, but where are you finding HD content for your Apple TV?
  • Reply 58 of 162
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Let's take an ADULT look at this, shall we?

Suppose Apple had left this Wireless Backup in Leopard and it corrupted your data. Then you'd be crying, "Why didn't they take this out if it wasn't finished!"

I'm sure Apple didn't yank out the feature for the sole reason of pissing people off. For those that bought Airport Extreme's, take it back to the store.

This just shows you how Apple still doesn't get 'customer relations'. They treat everything as a trade secret, no matter what it is. They never explain anything (don't you love getting an update notification that just says "Improves reliability and stability...").

This is another case. How hard would it be to just issue a press release that says "We've had to remove such-and-such feature at the last minute because of certain issues. At this point in time, we can't promise it will return in Leopard. Anyone who purchased an Airport extreme and/or Leopard after the official announcement date can return them for full refunds."

Simple, courteous, professional. Treat your customers like intelligent people, and they might treat you in a similar fashion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimo_ona_Mac View Post

This issue on Apple ynking wireless backup is a no-brainer. Simple response to clear this matter with the MAC universe - It will take a week to backup a 1TB drive via Apple airport extreme (n)using Leopard and Time Machine and if the connection drops you have to start all over again. I truly believe that is why it was dropped. It takes me an hour to move 10gb via Airport extreme connected to a NAS drive. TOO SLOW to use as a networked backup for me and the family. DUH!

Well, who's got a 1 TB drive? Most users have somewhere in the 100-250GB, tops. And if it is 1TB, who's got a 1TB external to use for backups?

And its not Apple's place to say "Oh, it'll take too long, well, let's just drop the feature!". Let the users decide if it takes too long. Does Apple's testing facilities suck so much that no one thought of testing this out until the last minute?

And, if the connection drops, you don't have to start all over. If that is the case, Time Machine sucks as a backup solution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Features drop out of development cycles. That is one of the fastest ways to make scheduled release dates.

Once software hits beta, features aren't supposed to be added/dropped. Once it hits release candidate, its just bug fixing time. Once it actually is announced, you actually expect them to know what it will/won't contain. If it has to change, fine. But, again, tell your customers, don't try to hide it.
  • Reply 59 of 162
    My father-in-law gave me his $100 iPhone rebate and my D-Link Wireless Router started flaking out so I bought an AEBS (GigE) a month or so ago.

I found 500 GB external FW/USB2 HD's for $119 each at Fry's so I was able to set up my dream back-up solution. I bought two drives and originally make identical full back-ups on both using SuperDuper! I took one to the office for off-site storage and kept one at home. Each Sunday, I'd do an incremental back-up and swap the drives on Monday.

I like this set-up so much, I don't think I'm going to need Time Machine so much.

I hope Shirt Pocket can get the Leopard-compatible version of SuperDuper! out soon. I am really liking their product!
  • Reply 60 of 162
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    [QUOTE=digitalclips;1163410]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Go back to your Vista will ya!

Leo is awesome and so will all the updates be, over the coming months.

p.s. My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.

Too bad Apple doesn't supply any way of recording or distributing HD content. So you're stuck either getting it off bittorrent or recording it yourself via EyeTV.