Leopard Upgrade Experience

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
yep, post your upgrade experience ...

also post some quick likes and dislikes about it once upgraded, what works and NOT works ...

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    just ran the install on my 24" iMac 2.4, didn't do an erase and install as cbf re-installing FC Studio. it took about 45 mins, all up, i think. no issues so far, though only been going about 15 mins on it. love spaces, btw. oh and the slightly different interface and working of finder (side bar) requires a little getting used to, but is good so far.
  • Reply 2 of 171
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

just ran the install on my 24" iMac 2.4, didn't do an erase and install as cbf re-installing FC Studio. it took about 45 mins, all up, i think. no issues so far, though only been going about 15 mins on it. love spaces, btw. oh and the slightly different interface and working of finder (side bar) requires a little getting used to, but is good so far.

great! i am still waiting for amazon to ship mine ...

you feel faster compared to Tiger?
  • Reply 3 of 171
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

great! i am still waiting for amazon to ship mine ...

you feel faster compared to Tiger?

TNT were at our office before we opened this morning and (thankfully) my boss caught them as they were about to leave...

hmm, hard to say about 'teh snappiness (tm)', perhaps a little - the iMac is snappy as it is...
  • Reply 4 of 171
    I put the DVD in, hit install, came back a half hour later, and it was installed on my MacBook Pro. No problems other than the fact that I forgot to uninstall Uno before I installed tthis, so some of the dialog boxes look odd.
  • Reply 5 of 171
    great infintespecter, what is the disk space before and after install?
  • Reply 6 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I recommend at least backing up your library if you don't want to back up everything.

You don't even have to burn it or anything, just duplicate it, shouldn't be more then a gig or two.

Leopard upgrade played badly with various settings, like my colorsync, Adobe stuff, etc, etc. And it screwed up my keychains(luckily I had a back up so no passwords lost).

Other then a bit of cleaning up preferences to get things back to normal, it's ok so far.

but then it's a rule of thumb every major upgrade would hit the preference bug.
  • Reply 7 of 171
    Went perfectly, though mds took its usual time creating the Spotlight index. But what a change! Searching across a pile of large mailboxes in Mail is virtually immediate, and even finding, say, all text files modified in the last four days, on the whole disk, only takes a second or so. Whether that'll last through the coming weeks and months remains to be seen.

Dock folder behavior is a retrograde step, unfortunately, if you have any large folders - instead of being able to bring up the directory in the Finder with a single click, you now have to right-click and "Show in Finder"; the only click options are the new fan or grid. (The grid does include an icon to show it in the Finder, but again, not as immediate as just clicking on the Dock icon)

PowerBook owners (of some models) will have a pleasant surprise waiting in the Keyboard & Mouse prefs - finally, two-fingered tapping's been enabled for right-clicking! (MacBook/MBP owners have had this all along, and there are third-party extensions for that, but great to see it included)

iCal's designers need slapping with a burly salmon. Previously, if you had a couple overlapping calendars, the foremost calendar would be shown with solid entries, the others going translucent; now, they're all translucent, all the time, except for the single highlighted entry. Very cluttered. Can't keep event info displayed all the time, with the War on Drawers in full swing - can only double click on each event and have the info pop up in a floating caption. No pref available for altering the translucency.

BOINC needed reinstalling; Vienna's unread counts and scrollbars are a couple pixels off; Java seems visually b0rked in some cases.
  • Reply 8 of 171
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Hi.

Has anyone had anny trubble with Adobe CS3 and leopard?

Im thinking about upgrading tonight, but i hva to be sure that it is no problem with CS3 and leopard.
  • Reply 9 of 171
    *licks chops*

Keep the upgrade experiences coming! I like to hold off until I hear that the majority of people have little/no problems making the switch. I just have a hard time jumping right into stuff like this... I blame Microsoft...
  • Reply 10 of 171
    Well, so far i haven't herd of one problem EXCEPT the people that have installed from torrents. They are having serious issues. If anyone is thinking about downloading it, I would highly suggest not to, especially if your work depends on your computer like me. They are getting bad driver errors, boot camp doesn't work right, some people are getting a blue screen, the OS will lock-up out of no where and they have to do a hard restart, and so many more problems. Apple doesn't try to break your pocket with OS releases, I am buying a copy as soon as I hear that everything runs fine, including: All Adobe software (PS, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, After Effects) with all my plug-ins, Cinema 4D, Cubase 4, Motion Tracker, Live 6, Reason 3, OnTheJob (even though it's not that big of a deal, I still use it every day), AND all of my VSTi's and audio plug-ins. I can't upgrade until it's all been confirmed. I use 98% of what's on my computer everyday, going without one application is unacceptable.
  • Reply 11 of 171
    if possible please post which machine you are running.
  • Reply 12 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

if possible please post which machine you are running.

I'm not sure you're talking specifically to me or not, but I'll post anyway.

15" MacBook Pro (bought this summer)

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB SDRAM

GeForce 8600 GT (128MB)

802.11n

I'm curious... If I don't use many complex programs (Adobe programs, FinalCut, etc.) do I need to worry about the upgrade? I feel like at the current stage I'm at, my worries may be unfounded.
  • Reply 13 of 171
    thanks compulsiveguile, i am talking in general, thanks!
  • Reply 14 of 171
    Took about 1:30 hours to install, but did so smoothly... didn't even have to bother backing anything up (did an upgrade). Only one question... do you always have to press cmd Y to do quick look?
  • Reply 15 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

Took about 1:30 hours to install, but did so smoothly... didn't even have to bother backing anything up (did an upgrade). Only one question... do you always have to press cmd Y to do quick look?

You can press the space bar while something's selected in the Finder.
  • Reply 16 of 171
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Anny news on CS3?

Working fine or not?
  • Reply 17 of 171
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I'm not sure you're talking specifically to me or not, but I'll post anyway.

15" MacBook Pro (bought this summer)

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB SDRAM

GeForce 8600 GT (128MB)

802.11n

I'm curious... If I don't use many complex programs (Adobe programs, FinalCut, etc.) do I need to worry about the upgrade? I feel like at the current stage I'm at, my worries may be unfounded.

Good question; right now I'm looking at purchasing Creative Suite 3 for Mac, but before I do so, I"d love to know whether there are issues - and whether I wold be better off waiting till updates for Creative Suite 3 arrives before purchasing it.

Hows the iLife '08 and iWork '08 applications like on Leopard?
  • Reply 18 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Good question; right now I'm looking at purchasing Creative Suite 3 for Mac, but before I do so, I"d love to know whether there are issues - and whether I wold be better off waiting till updates for Creative Suite 3 arrives before purchasing it.

Hows the iLife '08 and iWork '08 applications like on Leopard?

CS3 runs great on 10.4, so upgrading shouldn't be a problem. I am waiting to buy the new OS until I hear every things ok. iLife and iWork do not come with the new release, they are a separate purchase. I'm kind of glad they did that because I really don't use them any way, I use the pro apps.
  • Reply 19 of 171
    The install DVD isn't recognizing my boot partition (unchanged from factory) on my MBP. Anyone else see something similar?

Disk Utility on the DVD recognizes the hard drive, and says that it is GUID partitioned, but doesn't display any of the partitions set up on that drive.

I booted back into Tiger and verified the disk with Tiger's Disk Utility and everything came back roses. I unplugged all my peripherals and nothing, no volume available for Leopard to install to. The only way to get back into Tiger is to restart while holding down the mouse button to eject the DVD.

I may have to pull out the Tiger DVD to run fsck again (I wasn't planning on archiving or erasing, just a straight upgrade.

The leopard Profiler shows my harddrive, as does disk utility, just no partitions...

UPDATE... oddly enough, i ran fsck_hfs on it (from the Leopard DVD) and it was giving me some worrisome errors, but then out of the blue it showed up as a destination volume in the installer. Off to the races.
  • Reply 20 of 171
    I did an archive and install on a MBP C2D 2.16Ghz, ATI X1600, 2GB Ram.

A split second after launching the install it occurred to me: Crap, all my preferences, Application Support, Apps, etc will be left behind, and I'll have to manually, tediously copy them over...

To my surprise, EVERYTHING was automagically copied over. The Previous System folder was empty, sans a few sub-folders. My preferences remained intact, from network wireless keys, to disabling the F'ing useless CAPS LOCK KEY.

Everything works great, except Little Snitch, HTTPmail.bundle, Fan Control preference pane. The system is as fast as before, but yet does so much more. Ram usage is surprisingly frugal!

Initial Spotlight indexing had me freaked, as my machine was slow on first reboot. I was like, oh heck. But in spite of the excellent file icon generation, quick look, stacks, etc, it's 'teh snappy'! I may be tripping but Dashboard seems marginally faster at loading widgets, too.

This OS is not one to miss. Most of the changes are under the hood, but very meaningful in day to day use.

Oh and: They FTFF!!!! FTP... wait for it... WORKS!!! And it's fast and doesn't lock up the Finder!! WTF? Is this a Mac?!!

edit: Oh, and, Subversion (svn) seems to be part of the default install. Great! Terminal.app is perfect. Only snag was I had to edit /etc/bashrc to include 'source ~/.bashrc' so my local setting would take effect.

This is the best .0 release of OS X ever. It feels like a .3