Apple yanks wireless backup from Leopard last minute

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    Ok, I get it a lot of you are frustrated with this last minute announcement but I'm here to tell you it's not the end of the world. I just did some research and it turns out LaCie has a whole line of NAS (external drives you can plug ethernet into) that support AFP (the only network protocol apple is supporting currently for Time Machine) You can pick up a half terrabyte version for less then $200. Check out the LaCie Ethernet Disk, these were the only products I could find that support AFP and don't cost you about as much as a Macbook.

[Note: I don't work for LaCie I'm an independent contractor who does primarily Mac support with a bit of Linux and Windows thrown into the mix.]
  • Reply 82 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Big deal! So Apple yanked one or two small (and I do mean SMALL) sub-features before release. Maybe it had some problems and wasn't ready. Would you rather have the feature and lose data? I think Apple's done this in the past once or twice. Something isn't ready for the Gold Master, so they don't put it in and release it in a later update.

You can pretty much simulate this feature by sharing an external disk on a second computer.

At least Apple stayed on schedule.

Small features? Stayed on schedule?.. I have read alot of your posts and i have come to the conclusion that if Steve Jobs took a shit in a brown bag and tagged it the iDump you would find a reason to say it was great.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toddinsb View Post

[Note: I don't work for LaCie I'm an independent contractor who does primarily Mac support with a bit of Linux and Windows thrown into the mix.]

liar!

Wow, all of this whining makes be glad that I'm still a Windows user (okay, it really doesn't).

Whoever thinks that this issue will not be resolved quickly is not thinking straight. It's just like all of the people who complained that the iPhone is completely locked to third-party developers. Apple is working on the sdk now, and they will add wireless back-up soon. No one wasted any money on AE or external drives, because wireless TM is just being delayed until it's ready.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    [QUOTE=digitalclips;1163410]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Go back to your Vista will ya!

Leo is awesome and so will all the updates be, over the coming months.

p.s. My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.

Spoken like a true Apple salesman. Apple can't deliever so you start bashing Vista instead of addressing the reason issue, that Apple can't deliever as usual.
  • Reply 85 of 162
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

Why didn't Steve ever mention that we would need to buy an external hard drive on order to use this "new" OS? Never once mentioned in any preview until posted 2 weeks ago. Oh, I'm sorry -it must have been so obvious!

I agree the Apple TV is a waste of money but you don't need to buy a drive to use Leopard, you only need one to use Time Machine. If you are concerned about backing up, you should already have one. I have 4 external drives, 3 in use.

By no means is Time machine the most important feature of Leopard, it is merely the marketing angle they chose to exploit as it gives them a style for product designs etc.

On the subject of wireless backups, assuming the wireless connection was decent, the transfer rate isn't all that bad. It would still be on the order of 1/10th the speed of a hard connection but we're still talking about 1-2MBps. If someone does daily incremental backups, then doing wireless backup would probably be very convenient, especially for laptop owners.

An average user wouldn't likely change more than 1GB a day, which would take about 10-20 minutes to backup and it can be done in the background.
  • Reply 86 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Funnily enough, everyone here once had 1 or 2 posts. The fact that they've increased their post count to any appreciable number is no reflection on the quality of their posts nor is it a tacit indicator of their positivity.

More people are joining the forums as more Apple products, whether they be an iPhone or a new computer, are being bought. I expect that people who recently switched to an Apple machine will have misgivings about the fact that Apple seem to routinely use a bit of hyperbole.

It's entirely reasonable, in my opinion, to expect Apple to ship what they advertised a week ago.

Given that this isn't the case, I'd at least hope that Apple would give some guidance on a feature whose omission will certainly affect those who purchased an AE(n) with the express intent of using it with Leopard as a network Time Machine backup.

Digitalclips always posts that kind of garbage. He feels unless you get down on your knees and praise everything Apple or Steve Jobs does then your a troll. I believe he might need some medicaion for that problem. Could also be that he posted a while back that he is in Apple sales. They get extra koolaid.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    Does this mean NAS drives wont work either??
  • Reply 88 of 162
    I suspect that AEBS and AirDisk is the culprit behind the removal of this functionality and not Leopard itself. I returned a recently purchased AEBS to the Apple store because of a bug in the most recent firmware that directly relates to AirDisk usage. Quite a few users have discussed this bug in Apple's own forums. If you have the latest firmware installed and your computer loses connection with the AEBS while an AirDisk is mounted you will get authentication errors when you try to re-mount the drive. A few have had success with downgrading firmware but most of the newer Gigabit ethernet AEBS cannot be downgraded. Once new firmware is released for the AEBS I'm sure we'll see this functionality return in Time Machine. I knew this might be a problem and was wondering if Apple was going to release an AEBS firmware update before Leopard's release. I plan on purchasing an AEBS again once this issue is resolved.
  • Reply 89 of 162
    [QUOTE=digitalclips;1163410]
    Quote:

Go back to your Vista will ya!

Leo is awesome and so will all the updates be, over the coming months.

p.s. My ATV sends 720P and looks great on my 50" 1080i HDTV, perhaps you tested yours on the wrong equipment or supplied the incorrect media to it if you see VHS quality.

Maybe you just have never seen the real HD? You know, the actual 1080p. I would guess for someone who's been watching VHS his/her entire life even iTunes Video would look awesome. But for someone who watches HD-DVD movies in full 1080p resolution every day, 720 just doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Whoever thinks that this issue will not be resolved quickly is not thinking straight.

Really? On what do you base your opinion? Mine is based on my recent experience with Apple: I still can't use my Logitech USB webcam that was disabled due to a bug in 10.4.10. Apple's verified the bug, but no fix since JUNE! So, I have no faith on that one, and yes, I'm thinking straight.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    I'm not sure about NAS or AirPort, but so far I'm unable to make Time Machine work with AFP share from another Leopard machine. From Apple.com website:

" Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices."

So I have a Mac Mini here, with File Sharing enabled, and mounted the share on my MacBook Pro. No way to add that to Time Machine backup disk, unless there's some trick involved, of which I don't know.
  • Reply 92 of 162
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:

Maybe you just have never seen the real HD? You know, the actual 1080p. I would guess for someone who's been watching VHS his/her entire life even iTunes Video would look awesome. But for someone who watches HD-DVD movies in full 1080p resolution every day, 720 just doesn't cut it.

He/She has a 1080i tv. There is no 1080p option even if the ATV did 1080p. Unless you're sitting less than 6 feet away from your tv, it gets very hard to see a difference between 1080p and 720p. There is a large debate about this... so I won't get into it too much... but 720p can look great from the right distance.
  • Reply 93 of 162
    You have got to be kidding me! Not only have Airport Extremes been purchased in order to make use of the Time Machine features, but larger backup drives have been purchased (me) for the same reason. This is simply NOT acceptable to do this so late in the game having been assured by Apple that these features would be available in its new OS.

Can I return Leopard?
  • Reply 94 of 162
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

He/She has a 1080i tv. There is no 1080p option even if the ATV did 1080p. Unless you're sitting less than 6 feet away from your tv, it gets very hard to see a difference between 1080p and 720p. There is a large debate about this... so I won't get into it too much... but 720p can look great from the right distance.

It's not about distance, it's about apparent size, a function of the actual screen size and seated distance, and then also on clarity of eye sight. On my projector, I can just about see the lines between the pixels.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    [QUOTE=farlander;1163609]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Most people would never be able to pick out the difference between 720p and 1080p beyond six feet away, in most cases even less than that.

Its like high end gaming for those that are really into it like HD, its their thing, for most its not. Most people are fine with anything 480p compared to analog.

In the US, HD is still a joke people have been buying HD hardware for years and we are still years away from having even all digital let alone all HD.
  • Reply 96 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

In the US, HD is still a joke people have been buying HD hardware for years and we are still years away from having even all digital let alone all HD.

I really don't think that's true anymore. I'm in a #50 market and ALL my local channels are digital, and it's been that way for at least a couple years. All the major networks have at least prime time in HD. Only the affiliates of the minor networks like the CW are SD-only, but they are digital.
  • Reply 97 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Absolutely right, give me what they have now and I can wait for a few updates np. At least unlike after n years of trying to create a modern OS (Longhorn) Apple didn't give up and stick a crummy GUI on DOS and call it Vista

Hey guys, notice all the nergative crap comming from posters with like 1 or 2 posts? The Windoze brigade must be sooo jealous to have to intrude on our forums

Hint: ignore trolls

I don't know why I'm responding to a troll like you, but Vista is not running on DOS. That's about as ancient history as complaining about OS 9.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debohun View Post

S-O requires that certain types of businesses provide information technology infrastructure to support adequate auditing of high-risk financial transactions. That means data backups that are secure and reliable.

Similarly, HIPPA requires that health care providers take adequate measures to ensure the privacy and security of patient medical information.

As I understand it, based on communications from Apple, there is a similar problem with certain backup and syncing scenarios in .Mac services, In some case, user information is broadcast over the Internet in the clear, where it can be hijacked by anyone who knows to look for it. Again, neither S-O or HIPPA compliant.

That can't really be the problem, or really, it doesn't make sense. If someone is using consumer software to back up a computer at a major corporate or medical organization, then they have other problems too. I don't remember Time Machine being promoted for any setting other than as a personal computer backup service.

I think the issue raised here with S-O is that supposedly providing new features after the sale causes some concern over S-O compliance in terms of Apple's accounting, not whether the software in question can be used in another company's compliance.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That can't really be the problem, or really, it doesn't make sense. If someone is using consumer software to back up a computer at a major corporate or medical organization, then they have other problems too. I don't remember Time Machine being promoted for any setting other than as a personal computer backup service.

I think the issue raised here with S-O is that supposedly providing new features after the sale causes some concern over S-O compliance in terms of Apple's accounting, not whether the software in question can be used in another company's compliance.

Its not necessary that someone's using it to backup their servers and such. But a user in a large organization may think "Hey, let me turn this on, so I can have a history like Apple says" and some of the data backed up is financial or personal.
  • Reply 100 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimo_ona_Mac View Post

This issue on Apple ynking wireless backup is a no-brainer. Simple response to clear this matter with the MAC universe - It will take a week to backup a 1TB drive via Apple airport extreme (n)using Leopard and Time Machine and if the connection drops you have to start all over again. I truly believe that is why it was dropped. It takes me an hour to move 10gb via Airport extreme connected to a NAS drive. TOO SLOW to use as a networked backup for me and the family. DUH!

Thge AEBS can maintain 4 to 7 mega bytes per second. At 7 this will mean approx 25 GB per hour. So for 1 TB it will take 40 hours. This is a far cry from your 1 week.

Also, if Time Machine backup is interrupted it will try to resume where it was when restarted.