Only Idiots buy on a WHIM

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Not meaning to step on feet, but it always happens to those who have no patience. Always Always wait to see if something is working as it should before junping on a ship. Examples of what I mean. I am ordering a new apple computer today a mac pro with only a Gb of RAM and 256 video, with the 2.66GHz processor. I am not going to the top for a 8-core, its a waste of money. In 6 months it will be the same price as the one I am buying today. Next never ever buy a first release operating system. Tiger would be the one to own right now. Wait till about Christamas at the earliest for some major bugs to be worked out. Buy Leopard after it has been out at least 3 months I guarantee that many of the things like this so called wireless hook up to a HD for back up will be there and working. Apple always delivers, always, they just like to make sure its 99% perfect before they do. They more than likely found some security issues and wanted to release it later in a free update that can be downloaded. As for those who went out and bought wireless outfits for its sole use I dont know why you would do that anyway. I own the best and N-wireless system by Embarq made by 2wire. They offer the most secure DSL gateways I have seen to date. Absolutley blows apple and linksys away for range. As fo time machine I would not want to us it wireless, I would only use it if it were dedicated to my computer alone. I dont want others saving on a hard drive I am using. If you only use one it will get two to three times more use further shortening the life span. Thats how I feel. Trust me it will get released as promised once the bugs are worked out. Apple isnt going to tell you they are having problems with it. Check out the new notebooks also my wife is buying a 17" today just so she can get a regular background over the new LED types. She and I both hate change that is working.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    steste Posts: 119member
    Hey, thanks for that. Your advice is most welcome! I'll be taking my pants off later on. Any tips? One leg at a time, or both at once?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I think you maybe should have reconsidered posting this. First of all, the title is sensationalist and presumptive. Also, the fact that you can't backup wirelessly, which you spend a lot of time on, doesn't support your point since it's not possible in Tiger and if it is added in an update then it adds no cost to the price of Leopard. Bugs are a reason to wait FOR SOME PEOPLE. Other, non-idiotiotic people that can handle a bug or two can go ahead and install it tonight if they want without having their life turned upside down.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Only idiots don't pay attention in English classes.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Hey, thanks for that. Your advice is most welcome! I'll be taking my pants off later on. Any tips? One leg at a time, or both at once?

Hahhaaa.. That was good.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Unfortunately I have to go on a Boy Scout camp out in the pouring rain. Otherwise I would be waiting at my local reseller to get their T-shirt and disk. Now the 10.0 beta was buggy, I have not had that many problems, if any on all the other updates. Yes it would be nice to have the wireless backup using time machine but I do regular backups to a server that we use only for pictures, music, documents and emails. I did buy a 1TB drive, so when wireless backup is made availible I can put the server to a well deserved rest. Go ahead, live on the wild side, ride the roller coaster, you'll enjoy it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I believe warrenx is right. Apple's history of Rev. A products is spotty.

However, it should be noted that Leopard is extremely polished, and not rushed out the door. In the 6 hours or so I've been playing with it, I've yet to come across any bugs. Performance is first rate. This OS is as fast as the previous one, even though it does far more (like dynamically load preview icons for everything).

With the exception of the httpmail plugin (to access hotmail), Fan Control preference pane, and Bitrocket, which is basically alpha software anyway, all my apps work flawlessly. Indeed, better than before. I can search my firefox bookmarks though the help menu!

So go ahead, ye who are interested: Upgrade. You'll be glad you did.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Maybe by post #100 he'll have figured out how to use paragraphs.

(don't feed the trolls)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warrenrx View Post

I am not going to the top for a 8-core, its a waste of money. In 6 months it will be the same price as the one I am buying today.

Yep. And the one you are ordering today will be cheaper as well.