Leopard Install Issues

naknak
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've just gotten back from the local Apple Store and was in the process of installing Leopard. It's failed to verify my [leopard install] disk twice now, anyone else get this as well?

[EDIT] Apparently third time's the charm in my case. After trying once more to install, the disk passed verification during the install process. The fact that it failed twice previously is very odd. Any thoughts?

[EDIT2] Leopard up and running.

MBP, 2.0GHz

2GB RAM

100GB HDD

ATI Radeon X1600 256MB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    You might want to try running Disk Utility to Verify Disk the disk then Repair it.

After that's complete then try installing Leopard.

Don't know if this will help :/

Have Fun!

(I have to wait until apple ships mine
  • Reply 2 of 18
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

You might want to try running Disk Utility to Verify Disk the disk then Repair it.

After that's complete then try installing Leopard.

Don't know if this will help :/

Have Fun!

(I have to wait until apple ships mine

Sorry, when I said disk, I meant my Leopard install disk. No repairing that...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Hhmm, well that's odd.

Why don't you try booting it from the disc itself?

(put the disc in, restart, and hold down C).
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Hhmm, well that's odd.

Why don't you try booting it from the disc itself?

(put the disc in, restart, and hold down C).

I have, it failed to verify during the install process. Very sketchy...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Wow, that is really odd \

Could you post a picture of the window that says that it can't verify the install disc?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Wow, that is really odd \

Could you post a picture of the window that says that it can't verify the install disc?

unfortunately, I can't. But it does have a yellow triangle with an exclamation point on the top. And it appears to be working the third time 'round... hmm
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Ok, well I've got my fingers crossed for you
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I'm interested in know if any other people are or have experienced this same problem too.

But anyway, Congrats!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Also,

Did you use iWeb to create you Blog?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Also,

Did you use iWeb to create you Blog?

yes, yes I did
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I wish I had that problem. Leopard failed to find my startup disk at first, so I used Disk Utility to Repair the disk and fix permissions. Then Leopard found it fine and I did an Upgrade install. Upon restart after the 'successful' install, my Mac hung on the spinning gear boot screen for an eternity. I restarted and it did the same thing. I fixed permission in Disk utility with no luck, then ran the install again. Booted ok to a login screen this time, but wouldn't accept my username/password and the options showed only Other as an available user.

Back into disk utility i verified that my user account, files etc were still ok on the drive. I archived the entire drive to an external disk (my previous backup is a partial, so I hesitate to do a clean install).

Now I'm trying an archive and install, which I expect will fail and I'll need to do a clean sweep. Reinstalling all of my applications is going to suck, and there's a decent amount of work files I completed since a backup that could be lost (not sure I'll be able to access the image I created even if I finally complete an install.)

Very un-Applevlike experience. Made worse by being "the Mac guy" and having coworkers anxious to hear me gloat about Leopard only to laugh that I didn't/couldn't get it installed.

Ugh. Leopard has shown me nasty spots so far.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

I wish I had that problem. Leopard failed to find my startup disk at its, so I used Disk Utility to Repair the disk and fix permissions. Then Leopard found it fine and I did an Upgrade install. Upon restart after the 'successful' install, my Mac hung on the spinning gear boot screen for an eternity. I restarted and it did the same thing. I fixed permission in Disk utility with no luck, then ran the install again. Booted ok to a login screen this time, but wouldn't accept my username/password and the options showed only Other as an available user.

Back into disk utility i verified that my user account, files etc were still ok on the drive. I arcived the entire drive to an external disk (my previous backup is a partial, so I hesitate to do a clan install).

Now I'm trying an archive and install, which I expect will fail and I'll need to do a clean sweep. Reinstalling all of my applications is going to suck, and there's a decent amount of work files I completed since a backup that could be lost (not sure I'll be able to access the image I created even if I finally complete an install.

Very in-Applevlike experience. Made worse by being "the Mac guy" ad having coworkers anxious to hear me gloat about Leopard only to laugh that I dibn't:couldn't get it installed.

Ugh. Leopard has shown me nasty spots so far.

Keep us posted on how your archive install goes, and the rest of your experience! Best of luck mate!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Nak, how did you do your first page of your webpage?

(I mean, how did you get the layout onto iweb?)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Folks, be advised that

1) Disk Utility takes a LONG time to show the Tiger disk, but it will show it if you wait long enough.

2) Similarly, the gray spinning gear takes FOREVER on initial startup after install. It may even reboot again. Don't interrupt it by killing the power. Just wait.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Folks, be advised that

1) Disk Utility takes a LONG time to show the Tiger disk, but it will show it if you wait long enough.

2) Similarly, the gray spinning gear takes FOREVER on initial startup after install. It may even reboot again. Don't interrupt it by killing the power. Just wait.

Thanks -- I'm one of the impatient types, and I'm just about to install. Forewarned is forearmed.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    The only problem I have experienced is now whenever I move the cursor on the screen, it makes the screen jerk left or right based on the direction I am moving the mouse. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Screen jerking may be related to Universal Access prefs... peek around in there.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    The other day when I was at the Genius Bar, a lady was in with her laptop having problems installing the new iLife "08 suite. The Mac Genius came to the conclusion that it was a bad install disc, replaced it, and everything went fine. I've never purchased a bad CD/DVD before, but apparently it does happen. You might want to consider exchanging the disc.

As far as my install, everything has worked perfectly so far. I've got it on one of my MacBooks and putting it on the other right now. My roommate is installing Leopard on his at this time as well, but we haven't seen any issues so far.