Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    Installed on iMac core duo 1GB ram - took just under 2 hours and all seems great except airport. After rebooting I have to manually connect to my wireless network..... Tried removing wep password/changing ssid/changing channel but still not playing the game.

anyone else having this prob?
  • Reply 22 of 171
    Thanks for the tip for quick look.

After playing with Leopard for a few hours I have to say I'm pretty optimistic.

Spaces is now my favourite function. Sometimes it's a bit choppy though, at times it's easy to forget I'm running on 2GB of RAM. It is early days though.

Cover flow is flashy, but not that great. I've switched back to thumbnail view. And I'm loving the path bar on finder, very useful. Did they have it in Tiger?

Front Row is alright... it's just like the Apple TV version. I kinda miss the old version though. The music stops playing once you exit that part of Front Row which is a bummer. I liked the way playback was seamless between Front Row and the Desktop.

The only real downside is that my wireless printer doesn't seem to get on with Leopard... I can't get it to work! I hope Apple updates as soon as. Overall though, Leopard is really good and already has a few features I simply can't live without (the primary ones being stacks and spaces).
  • Reply 23 of 171
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

This is the best .0 release of OS X ever. It feels like a .3

good to hear that!
  • Reply 24 of 171
    Well I have to say I am happen with the new CAT... So far the only problem I have found is backup program from .mac does not seem to work correctly anymore but I am still looking for a work around.

The other thing I am not sure I like is that the Airport Disk Drives don't auto connect and show up on the desk top.
  • Reply 25 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    CS3 programs all work, but need a good preference cleaning overhaul.

Basically delete all those adobe stuff in the preferences.

There have been a wide range of weird stuff with CS3, most usually crash on startup/quit, due to perfs. (Me included)

Aple Pro stuff do not work per upgrade I believe, either needs a reinstall, or plugin fixing. Which means just some hassle if you're unlucky.

It's pretty safe so far, no major blow ups with most things.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

Well I have to say I am happen with the new CAT... So far the only problem I have found is backup program from .mac does not seem to work correctly anymore but I am still looking for a work around.

The other thing I am not sure I like is that the Airport Disk Drives don't auto connect and show up on the desk top.

Check software update, there's an update for Backup available.
  • Reply 27 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cube View Post

Anny news on CS3?

Working fine or not?

Works great, I ran it on the beta's as well with no issues. I co-own a graphix, print, & web company so yeah it has been put through it's tests.
  • Reply 28 of 171
    Everything went very smoothly. Took about 35min on my 4GB RAM 160@7200RPM MacBook Pro.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is Photo Booth. When using a background image there is a ton of lag and also it cuts out my face A LOT! My dark brown hair isn't recognized and becomes one with the background, perhaps I'm not in a bright enough area.
  • Reply 29 of 171
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    1.24 G4

I had to re-pair my wireless keyboard and mouse. It's a good thing I still had the old wired versions. Other than that it all went perfect.
  • Reply 30 of 171
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Disk failed to verify inital checking right before installing. Twice.

[Edit] Finally verified the third time through. CS3 works just dandy, a little snappier even. Haven't tried any of Final Cut Studio yet.

MacBook Pro (May 06) 2.0GHz

2GB Ram

ATI x1600 256MB

1x100GB, 1x1TB
  • Reply 31 of 171
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I just installed using the basic install. Before installing I unplugged all external devices, and updated my firmware to 1.2.

I had to verify my disks manually through the disk utility during installation (easy) for it to recognize my drives properly (because of my 2 boot camp partitions). Once I did that it took about 30 minutes max to install.

Everything appears to be working really well, the dock actually looks much better in person, spaces is really cool and the new UI all together is a step in the right direction I believe. I can't get over how much better the brushed metal is.

A couple dislikes are the blue dots below the applications telling you which ones are open, they were supposed to be easier to see but I think they're a little harder to see, at first I didn't see them at all but now that I know what to look for they're a little better. Also I think the brighter, more washed out colors of the red, yellow and green buttons and the top left of windows doesn't look as good, but it might just take some getting used to. The semi-transparent menu bar at the top is a little distracting, I love the smooth corners and transparency of the drop-down's of it.

Final Cut Pro 6, Motion 3 and Photoshop CS3 all work perfectly and even seem a little bit faster. (I assume all other pro apps work.

My computer specs are:

Mac Pro

Octo-core 3GHz

4GB Ram

Ati x1900 XT 512MB

1x 250GB, 2x 500GB

2x Superdrives

Razer Pro 1.6 Mouse

Samsung 20" 2ms

I will be happy to check the status of any other apps (I have a ton) including pro apps and iWork '08 apps.

No complaints so far.

Edit: When I had tiger it often took 20+ seconds to find something (I was unsure whether it was just the normal speed or if there was an indexing problem) but on Leopard it finishes searching in about 3 seconds.
  • Reply 32 of 171
    Well after the upgrade PARALLELS 3.0 is no longer working on my 24" iMac it crashes the iMac when you try and start it up.
  • Reply 33 of 171
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    everything seems to be working fine...except my mouse and keyboard, which are plugged into an iogear KVM DVI switch. I have to unplug and replug it in to get those working after reboot.

the rest looks good. very consistent UI. pr0n is teh snappier.
  • Reply 34 of 171
    -- Blew away my Airport Disk Utility completely

-- Notes is a trivial exercise that is hardly worth using and periodically crashes mail when trying to create folders and failure to sync with iPhone makes it nearly worthless

-- To-dos fail to work as advertised and is another tepid implementation not even up to the level of five-year old MS Outlook

-- If Time Machine is as poorly implemented and unusable as these features then this upgrade is not worth the time. Of course, I can't test it until I buy another disk since it can't back up to my Airport disk...

With the exception of eye candy, I'm hard-pressed to understand the value of this release. Maybe it will fix the 'sleep' hangs I have had three times this week.

I'm a Mac/iPhone newbie after 15 years on Windows. I generally prefer the Mac user experience but the functionality of the tools used by professionals (calendaring, task management, email) is simply early-2000's technology. The PR on Leopard implied some of those limitations might be addressed in this release. Nope. Not bad enough enough to force a retreat to Windows but disappointing after all the hype.

Save your money and time.
  • Reply 35 of 171
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

Well after the upgrade PARALLELS 3.0 is no longer working on my 24" iMac it crashes the iMac when you try and start it up.

that's weird man, Parallels 3.0 (Build 5160) works perfectly on my system after the update (macbook pro 15")
  • Reply 36 of 171
    Geez, garyb, that sucks Leopard's been a pain for you. What mac do you have? 3 sleep hangs a week? Ouch.

How do To Dos fail to work?

Outlook is certainly more business oriented than Mail.app, for sure.
  • Reply 37 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Well, so far i haven't herd of one problem EXCEPT the people that have installed from torrents. They are having serious issues. If anyone is thinking about downloading it, I would highly suggest not to, especially if your work depends on your computer like me. They are getting bad driver errors, boot camp doesn't work right, some people are getting a blue screen, the OS will lock-up out of no where and they have to do a hard restart, and so many more problems. Apple doesn't try to break your pocket with OS releases, I am buying a copy as soon as I hear that everything runs fine, including: All Adobe software (PS, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, After Effects) with all my plug-ins, Cinema 4D, Cubase 4, Motion Tracker, Live 6, Reason 3, OnTheJob (even though it's not that big of a deal, I still use it every day), AND all of my VSTi's and audio plug-ins. I can't upgrade until it's all been confirmed. I use 98% of what's on my computer everyday, going without one application is unacceptable.

To the morons stealing Leopard... they should get a bricked Mac.
  • Reply 38 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cube View Post

Anny news on CS3?

Working fine or not?

I have no Leopard experiences to share, but if you are a serious working designer you should be very cautious about installing the "latest and greatest" upgrades. I wait for several months at a minimum for all the bugs to shake out. Don't succumb to your impulse to upgrade immediately!
  • Reply 39 of 171
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    This thing breaks unsanity haxies (per their website) and completely shot, cleaned, made sausage, digested, and excreted my keychain(s). Always have a backup and hard copy of these things.

Little snitch is working fine... along with typeit4me, microsoft mouse, and menumeters. Adobe apps are not affected in any way I can tell, and I used Photoshop and DW for 4 hours tonight...

I miss WindowShadeX. That is a great little app.
  • Reply 40 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Geez, garyb, that sucks Leopard's been a pain for you. What mac do you have? 3 sleep hangs a week? Ouch.

How do To Dos fail to work?

Outlook is certainly more business oriented than Mail.app, for sure.

Noob alert.