leopard is out...where's the new mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hello everyone,

now that leopard is out, where the heck is that new macbook rumor going? i know a lot of this stuff is speculation with maybe a little method behind it....but i mean come on. it just seems like "oh, we should hear something on the 26th". well, now we are talking about nov 12th? i haven't been around the apple scene long enough to decipher what's bs and what's realistic. so how do you guys come to your conclusions? is it just headlines and the macrumors buying guide or is it something else? i'm sorry this might sound like i am attacking your opinions, but that is not my intention. i am just genuinely frustrated about this because i want a new mac. i know the second i go buy the current one, the new one will be announced...i am that guy with that sh** luck.

as always thanks for reading/responding!

dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WINblOWS View Post

"oh, we should hear something on the 26th". well, now we are talking about nov 12th?

The new Penryn chips from Intel don't come out until Nov 11th so it wouldn't make sense to update the MB before then as there's little they could do to it to make it particularly attractive as an upgrade.

I think people suggested Oct 26th as they perhaps expected an event to surround the Leopard launch at which point they might have hoped for an announcement. But product updates are rarely announced anyway so I wouldn't have expected them to say anything about the Macbook as people would likely hold off buying leopard until then.

I also expect Mac Pro updates. Maybe the entire lineup will be updated so that the MB doesn't get better CPUs than the MBP.

But yeah, November the 12th at the earliest.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The new Penryn chips from Intel don't come out until Nov 11th so it wouldn't make sense to update the MB before then as there's little they could do to it to make it particularly attractive as an upgrade.

I don't agree with that. The MacBooks are already a generation behind, being based on the "Napa" chipset while "Santa Rosa" has been available since May 07 (if Wikipedia is to be believed). The MBPs are currently Santa Rosa based. So updating the MBs to the current generation - with its improved graphics and power consumption - would be an attractive upgrade.

I guess it's conceivable that Apple would skip a generation in the MacBooks and put them on parity with the MBPs. Or maybe they'll put Penryn chips in new MBPs and Santa Rosa chips in the MBs - leaving them a generation behind (which is the pattern they've already established).

So, if Apple decides to go to Santa Rosa with the MBs, why not do it sooner rather than later? Or would they rather update all the laptops at once, regardless of whether they bring the MB up to the latest (Penryn) or leave it a generation behind (then Santa Rosa)?

Personally, I'd be happy to see SR based MacBooks next week, and then Penryn based MBPs a few weeks later.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

The new Penryn chips from Intel don't come out until Nov 11th

That's the desktop Penryn. The mobile Penryn isn't due until Jan/Feb 2008.

As jasenj1 said, the real issue is that the MacBook is still on Napa with its woeful GMA 950 graphics chip, it is well overdue an update to the chipset from Santa Rosa. It is difficult to believe that there won't be a MacBook update before the end of November, as right now they compare very poorly to the competition on a price/performance basis (and that hasn't always been the case; Apple have done their usual thing and let the line stagnate. Once they are updated, they should once again compare favourably to the competition.)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's the desktop Penryn. The mobile Penryn isn't due until Jan/Feb 2008.

As jasenj1 said, the real issue is that the MacBook is still on Napa with its woeful GMA 950 graphics chip, it is well overdue an update to the chipset from Santa Rosa. It is difficult to believe that there won't be a MacBook update before the end of November, as right now they compare very poorly to the competition on a price/performance basis (and that hasn't always been the case; Apple have done their usual thing and let the line stagnate. Once they are updated, they should once again compare favourably to the competition.)

That makes sense, I was hoping for Penryn earlier but I guess the Mac Pro could still get a refresh with those chips. Then since the rest of the lineup is mobile, they can get another refresh in 2-3 months, MBP first then iMac then Macbook or something like that.

I think that's how it's been recently, the Mac Pro went 8-core then the MBP got Geforce 8600M GT, LED, Santa Rosa etc then the iMac got the redesign so now it's the Macbook for Santa Rosa, possibly a redesign and then Mac Pro after desktop Penryn is released. The Macbook got a little bump in spec but that wasn't a real update.

What would be nice is if they used the same GPU in the low end iMac for the Macbook.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    is there a general consensus that it will be out before january? it doesn't make any sense to me to release something right after the christmas season.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WINblOWS View Post

is there a general consensus that it will be out before january? it doesn't make any sense to me to release something right after the christmas season.

It depends on how quickly Intel can ramp up production. There have been rumors that Apple has bought up all the new Penryns for a new system launch, but what's real and what's not...well, you can guess as well as anyone else.

Intel did open a new facility for Penryn production in Arizona last week and it stated that they would be pumping out Penryns in time for the launch in mid-November, so we'll all know soon enough.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

It depends on how quickly Intel can ramp up production. There have been rumors that Apple has bought up all the new Penryns for a new system launch, but what's real and what's not...well, you can guess as well as anyone else.

Intel did open a new facility for Penryn production in Arizona last week and it stated that they would be pumping out Penryns in time for the launch in mid-November, so we'll all know soon enough.

WINblOWS is asking about the MacBook being updated before Christmas. This talk of Penryns is neither here nor there, because as I've said already, these are desktop Penryns having no bearing on the MacBook.

I expect the MacBook to be updated for the holiday shopping season; i.e. soon.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

WINblOWS is asking about the MacBook being updated before Christmas. This talk of Penryns is neither here nor there, because as I've said already, these are desktop Penryns having no bearing on the MacBook.

I expect the MacBook to be updated for the holiday shopping season; i.e. soon.

I thought WINbLOWS was responding to Marvin's post directly above the post I quoted which DOES mention the Mac Pro and Penryns.

I would expect the MacBook, which I am typing on now BTW, to get a Santa Rosa update after or near the same time the MacBook Pros get Penryn, which could be as early as February unless Apple has something going on with Intel on the mobile Penryns as well.

With Intel's tick-tock strategy accelerating the pace of innovation, I don't think we will see the MBP and MB on the same chipsets again.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

I would expect the MacBook, which I am typing on now BTW, to get a Santa Rosa update after or near the same time the MacBook Pros get Penryn, which could be as early as February unless Apple has something going on with Intel on the mobile Penryns as well.

I really hope that doesn't come to pass. Who in their right mind would buy a MacBook now? They aren't great value for money right now.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

That rumor pertains to the desktop Penryns due in November, not the laptop Penryns due in January.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    This is a rumor site, take everything you read with a grain of suspicion.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

That makes sense, I was hoping for Penryn earlier but I guess the Mac Pro could still get a refresh with those chips. Then since the rest of the lineup is mobile, they can get another refresh in 2-3 months, MBP first then iMac then Macbook or something like that.

I think that's how it's been recently, the Mac Pro went 8-core then the MBP got Geforce 8600M GT, LED, Santa Rosa etc then the iMac got the redesign so now it's the Macbook for Santa Rosa, possibly a redesign and then Mac Pro after desktop Penryn is released. The Macbook got a little bump in spec but that wasn't a real update.

What would be nice is if they used the same GPU in the low end iMac for the Macbook.

I know this is off topic, but let's hope they update the Mini ( or intro a smaller, faster successor) if they update the MacBook.