Adium 2.0 to feature Audio, Video!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.adiumx.com/blog/

w00t! People who use other protocols besides AIM and want AV chat... rejoice!

Adium allows logging into and chatting with:

I believe it also has plugins for Skype and Gizmo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    AWESOME. It'll probably be better than iChat. By a lot. Apple should really be embarassed!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

AWESOME. It'll probably be better than iChat. By a lot. Apple should really be embarassed!

No they won't. iChat and AdiumX serve different needs. iChat's collaboration tools are outstanding IMO. What's broken is the balkanization of an excellent tool Instant Messagaing.

It can't become the Revolution it should be until the 31 flavors of IM clients unite alongst common standards for messaging and AV.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    I'd love iChat to have Adium's multiple server ability (And work right)

Itunes is slicker, and more Mac like.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I tend to agree with Aquatic. If I can voice/video chat with MSN, AIM, VOIP and everyone else, I might as well save myself the disk space that iChat takes up.

One app for all my communication needs... looks like Adium.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

I tend to agree with Aquatic. If I can voice/video chat with MSN, AIM, VOIP and everyone else, I might as well save myself the disk space that iChat takes up.

One app for all my communication needs... looks like Adium.

Adium does email?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Adium is an excellent OS X application. I have been using it for a couple of years now. Pidgin is horrible when you compare it to Adium. But I couldn't bring myself to install Yahoo! or MSN on my PC after using a multi-chat client.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I love Adium and this is a great news. That said, if iChat supports MSN and Yahoo!, I probably won't bother with it.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Nice! That's always been the issue that's kept me from fully committing to Adium, so to speak. So this might be a dumb question, but would all the effects (new backdrops in iChat/Photo Booth) be available to use in the new Adium if chatting with either another adium or ichat user? That would be... awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    such a great app!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Adium is great. Besides the multi-protocol support, one of the biggest features for me is the ability to conduct encrypted chats. I've never heard mention of this in iChat.

I probably won't use video or voice, but its a cool feature.