After Leopard Upgrade

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I bought my Leopard upgrade Saturday morning, and I absolutely love it. I have it installed on my MacBook 2.0 GHz with 1GB of RAM. The programs and general functionality is much faster than Tiger, but I was a little bit disappointed to see that some of the animations jittered occasionally; however, this is only a minor problem. My real reason for posting is because I was wondering what house keeping I should do now. I already repaired my disk permissions and I have done 2 or 3 restarts already. Just want to make my experience as streamlined a possible.

PS. I lost about 3.5GB of HD space after the upgrade. Is that normal? Any way I can recover some of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

... I already repaired my disk permissions and I have done 2 or 3 restarts already. Just want to make my experience as streamlined a possible.

PS. I lost about 3.5GB of HD space after the upgrade. Is that normal? Any way I can recover some of it?

Repairing permissions is most effective as a placebo. Since Apple added journalling to HFS+, I don't worry about disk maintenance. As for your "lost" 3.5 GB of hard drive capacity, this is normal.

Word to the Wise: If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Word to the Wise: If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it.

i mean i knew what i was doing. this was just my first time doing an upgrade install, instead of a clean install
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sthiede: If you don't use iDVD, you can nuke well over a gig (1.68GB) of templates in /Library/Application Support/iDVD/

Same is true of Garage Band.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

sthiede: If you don't use iDVD, you can nuke well over a gig of templates in /Library/Application Support/iDVD/

thanks! i have NEVER used iDVD.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Also, by default Leopard installs over 2 gigs of printer drivers, most of which you'll never need. If you didn't de-select them during install you can delete them after by navigating to the printer drivers in the System folder. This can get you some space back!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

thanks! i have NEVER used iDVD.

• Reply 6 of 8
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Also, by default Leopard installs over 2 gigs of printer drivers, most of which you'll never need. If you didn't de-select them during install you can delete them after by navigating to the printer drivers in the System folder. This can get you some space back!

What I did last time on a clean install was to deselect ALL printer drivers. Then when the system was loaded, I went to HP and downloaded the driver for the specific printer.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I just upgraded too, so good so awesome.

I have to ask though, I won't be using Time Machine or Spaces in any significant way, what's new that really makes this worth the upgrade?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Also, by default Leopard installs over 2 gigs of printer drivers

Score!

Edit: Jesus, couldn't apple at least zip/gzip/bzip those drivers so they don't take, like, 3.15GB of space??! They're fricken ASCII text files!