Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros

Comments

• Reply 101 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Monday the 12th is Veterans' Day - a national holiday and the day Intel does their press event. So the holiday puts Apple a day off from Tuesday to Wednesday November 14.

Looking forward to the update.

We can only hope.

In the meantime I have got Leopard arriving tomorrow for the MacBook so at least I will have something new to play with for awhile.

• Reply 102 of 398
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Monday the 12th is Veterans' Day - a national holiday and the day Intel does their press event. So the holiday puts Apple a day off from Tuesday to Wednesday November 14.

Looking forward to the update.

I hope so multimedia. I really looking to have the new Mac Pro's and also displays this year. It doesn't hurt to take advantage of the tax deductions for this year.

Plus, I would rather leave MWSF open to other products. Maybe an improved and larger capacity iPhone. We'll see.
  • Reply 103 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the second time in as many years, Mac maker Apple Inc. is awaiting the official nod from chip supplier Intel Corp. before announcing a brawny update to its Mac Pro workstations aimed at media professionals.

The new systems will represent the first architectural overhaul to the Mac Pro family since Apple introduced the Intel-based Power Mac successor at its August 2006 Worldwide Developers Conference. They'll also be amongst the first machines from any PC manufacturer to employ chips from Intel's upcoming Penryn family of 45-nanometer (nm) microprocessors -- specifically the upcoming Hi-k Xeons, which will be available in dual- and quad-core variants for workstations with front-side bus speeds of either 1333MHz or 1600MHz.

Confirming reports filed by the Inquirer earlier this month, people familiar with the matter say the new Mac Pro line lineup will top out with an 8-core configuration that employs two top-of-the-line quad-core "Harpertown" chips. The top-bin Xeons, which offer the faster 1600MHz bus and 12MB of L2 cache, will start trickling in around mid-November at speeds of up to 3.2GHz.

Apple, for its part, is ready to rock-and-roll with the new 45-nm Macs whenever Intel can deliver enough of those top-bin chips to trigger a manufacturing ramp. People familiar with the situation say Apple's end of the hardware is essentially complete, with builds having made their final pass through engineering earlier this fall. Availability now hinges on the Intel's capacity to deliver quantities of the new 45-nm Xeons, they say.

Long-time AppleInsider readers will recall a nearly identical situation facing the Mac Pro last October. At the time, AppleInsider reported on Apple's plans to release its first-ever 8-core system -- a Mac Pro sporting two quad-core Xeon "Clovertown" chips. Like Harpertown, the first Clovertown processors were slated for a mid-November release and (again) Apple's end of the hardware was similarly completed well in advance. The 8-core Mac didn't debut for another five months, however, as Apple held out for an exclusive 3.0GHz variant of the Clovertown chip while it waited patiently for*Adobe to pull the trigger on its Intel-native Creative Suite 3.0 (CS3) software. Following the release of CS3 in late-March, Apple in April finally rolled out the 8-Core Clovertown Mac Pro.

With a warm reception to CS3 amongst creative professionals helping to drive sales of Apple's professional workstations in recent months, things are likely to play out much quicker this time around. The new 8-core Harpertown Mac Pro should debut anytime after mid-November and almost certainly by Macworld Expo in January.

Speed improvements made possible by Intel's new 45-nm architecture are likely to compel large corporations to consider updating to the Penryn-based workstations. Speaking at Intel's Beijing developer forum earlier this year, Intel senior VP Pat Gelsinger said Harpertown Xeons will offer an approximate 45 percent speed increase for bandwidth-intensive applications compared to the Clovertown Xeon chips available in today's Mac Pros.

Still, there is some slight uncertainty regarding precisely which Intel processor models will be used to progress the entry-level quad-core Mac Pros, which employ two dual-core Xeons rather than two quad-core processors. The multiprocessor, dual-core counterpart to Harpertown is "Wolfdale," which will be made available in models that support varying front-side bus speeds.

A 3.16GHz low-power Wolfdale will operate on systems with a 1333MHz bus, while "normal" 1.86GHz* and 3.33GHz models will work on machines with bus speeds of 1066MHz and 1333MHz, respectively. In addition, Intel also plans a 3.4GHz Wolfdale that runs on a 1600MHz bus like Harpertown. However this chip is somewhat pricey, with a suggested wholesale cost similar to that of the 3.2GHz quad-core Harpertowns bound for the*8-core Mac Pro. Therefore, it would seem incredibly unlikely that Apple would adopt the chip for the Mac Pro, as the 8-core Harpertown Mac Pro is expected to cost upwards of $4,000 itself.

This raises the possibility that Apple's Penryn-based Mac Pro line will include models with varying bus speeds. This is not out of the ordinary, however, and was similarly the case back in October of 2005 when Apple unveiled its Power Mac G5 Quad and Power Mac G5 Dual. *At the time, however, the system bus was automatically tied to clock speed rather than the controlling factor itself.

Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.

Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!

So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!
  • Reply 104 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cautious View Post

Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.

Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!

So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!

Unfortunately, Adobe is on the record as stating that 64-bit apps aren't going to be coming from them anytime soon. Their position is that there are many, many non-64-bit computers out there--more than the number of 64-bit capable computers--and that until that changes, PhotoShop, et al, will remain 32-bit bound.

I would bet, however, that their video and animation apps will move to 64-bit long before their print/web apps do.
  • Reply 105 of 398
    Yes I agree, video will jump to 64 bit first ,as it is a natural .

Sony has already shown their 64 bit vegas system....so I dont think apple will want to give them lead since this is my field I cant wait!
  • Reply 106 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Unfortunately, Adobe is on the record as stating that 64-bit apps aren't going to be coming from them anytime soon. Their position is that there are many, many non-64-bit computers out there--more than the number of 64-bit capable computers--and that until that changes, PhotoShop, et al, will remain 32-bit bound.

I would bet, however, that their video and animation apps will move to 64-bit long before their print/web apps do.

If Adobe doesn't release 64 bit by the next release of OS X 10.6 don't expect any of their applications to run.

By then OS X 10.6 will focus on 64 bit only applications. That gives Adobe roughly 18 months to get it done.
  • Reply 107 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

The thing is with windows the 32 bit and 64 bit vers of windows are differnt version and the 64 bit one does not work with 32 bit drivers and brakes some other apps unlike 10.5 in which 32 bit and 64 bit are instilled the same time 32 bit stuff still works.
  • Reply 108 of 398
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The thing is with windows the 32 bit and 64 bit vers of windows are differnt version and the 64 bit one does not work with 32 bit drivers and brakes some other apps unlike 10.5 in which 32 bit and 64 bit are instilled the same time 32 bit stuff still works.

But the problem is, Apple is pushing some new features in Objective-C 2.0 which are 64bit only. Though Adobe doesn't need to use these... Yes 10.6 will support 32bit computers. The whole Rev A lineup of Intel computers was 32bit... I can't imagine apple would drop support for these machines after 36 months... Not when they are supporting 7 year old machines (867 g4).
  • Reply 109 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

But the problem is, Apple is pushing some new features in Objective-C 2.0 which are 64bit only.

Which features are those?
  • Reply 110 of 398
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    These are in the new ABI for 64bit...

They include...

Non-fragile instance variables

Zero-cost exceptions (mainly for objective-c++)

and faster messaging dispatch...

A lot of this was over my head at the time, but it's in the WWDC Objective-c 2.0 overview.
  • Reply 111 of 398
    Intel has lifted the embargo off Yorkfield. Benchmark reviews are coming in. A peek at things to come.

Some better performance over the 65nm predecessor (as expected) but damn there is a NICE drop in power consumption.

Anandtech

TechReport

Hot Hardware
  • Reply 112 of 398
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

Intel has lifted the embargo off Yorkfield. Benchmark reviews are coming in. A peek at things to come.

Some better performance over the 65nm predecessor (as expected) but damn there is a NICE drop in power consumption.

Anandtech

TechReport

Hot Hardware

The companies selling Blade Centers are ecstatic with these results. Power consumption reduced by roughly a %30 avg between Idle and Load is going to be HUGE for Datacenters.

AMD fanboys have grown pretty damn silent over the last 18 months.
  • Reply 113 of 398
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Is it going to be announce tomorrow? MacPro and Displays. I sure hope so.

Leopard is out, Apple could very well announce it tomorrow with shipping dates 2 weeks from now matching the Intel schedule to release the chips by middle of November.

Oh man. Bring it on!!!! I am tired of waiting!
  • Reply 114 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Is it going to be announce tomorrow? MacPro and Displays. I sure hope so.

Leopard is out, Apple could very well announce it tomorrow with shipping dates 2 weeks from now matching the Intel schedule to release the chips by middle of November.

Oh man. Bring it on!!!! I am tired of waiting!

I would be surprised if Apple pre-announced the Mac Pros. However, now that the embargo is off for the press, Apple could, if the rumors are true, announce early availability of the Penryn Mac Pros.

I'm thinking Tuesday, November 6th, to get almost a week head start on everyone else. Besides, there seems to be some buzz about that date, albeit with a MacBook overtone.
  • Reply 115 of 398
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The companies selling Blade Centers are ecstatic with these results. Power consumption reduced by roughly a %30 avg between Idle and Load is going to be HUGE for Datacenters.

AMD fanboys have grown pretty damn silent over the last 18 months.

There were a couple reports this year that showed AMD to have some power advantages in servers. This turn of events might change things.
  • Reply 116 of 398
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Has the Pro desktop ever been revved in November? (I mean a full retrofit, as opposed to a spec bump.)

I seem to recall that Apple usually uses MWSF as their preferred launch pad for new Pro desktops.

If it's a major overhaul, I can certainly see them holding back the announcement.

AFAIK, no-one has reported abnormally low desktop supplies or major retailers designating them EOL.

Don't raise your hopes on a whim. Apple is all strategy when it comes to their Big Money machines.
  • Reply 117 of 398
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Has the Pro desktop ever been revved in November? (I mean a full retrofit, as opposed to a spec bump.)

I seem to recall that Apple usually uses MWSF as their preferred launch pad for new Pro desktops.

If it's a major overhaul, I can certainly see them holding back the announcement.

In recent years, pro desktops have been announced in the middle of the calendar year. The G5s and upgrades as well as the Mac Pros and upgrades have been mid-year. So, there's really no precedent. I wouldn't expect Apple to wait until January if they have something ready, unless January is a lot closer by the time it is ready.
  • Reply 118 of 398
    It's been over a year already...

Quad core and an Octo core range.

£1000-2600.

There's plenty of room there for 2 sets of 3 towers.

One set for mortals. The other for the immortals.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 119 of 398
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

In recent years, pro desktops have been announced in the middle of the calendar year. The G5s and upgrades as well as the Mac Pros and upgrades have been mid-year. So, there's really no precedent. I wouldn't expect Apple to wait until January if they have something ready, unless January is a lot closer by the time it is ready.

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.
  • Reply 120 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Actually the Mac Pro and powermacs have been released at WWDC more often than MWSF in past last few years, but I think november is NOT going to happen. There is no reason to announce a Pro grade computer of that expense for the holiday season. Apple knows that, and will hold off. MWSF is January, and Tax refunds are in February. My guess is still MWSF. It would be a poorly orchestrated release for a computer in that price range during the holidays. Nobody would have the money for it after holiday gifts, and it's too much to be a holiday gift. The loss of sales would reflect poorly in the quarterly report.

I have to disagree. The majority of buyers are companies, not individuals. Hence, the holiday season analogy is not as important. Granted, there are individuals, like me as a freelancer, that will buy a new Mac Pro when they come out. But the holidays don't figure into it for me, I have budgeted the money for this purchase and am simply waiting for the updated hardware. It is a business decision for me, not a personal one.

The new Penryns come out in about three weeks. If Apple doesn't announce anything within that timeframe, then I agree that you will probably not see anything until MWSF. But that is probably due to Intel not being able to ship sufficient CPUs as opposed to a holiday hold-off.