Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Adobe's site says that the CS3 apps are compatible, but fails to note that the installer on the DVD doesn't work properly in Leopard. They also note some problems with Acrobat Professional that will require a patch due out in late January 2008.

Have a link handy for that?

I installed Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium on Leopard with no problems...at all. I'm wondering what this DVD installer problem is. I didn't run into anything.

The only problem I have with Adobe Acrobat Professional is that it seems to always want to declare itself the default handler for PDF files. It asks me every time I load the app, and there appears no way to turn it off.
  • Reply 102 of 171
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I had to reinstall Parallels. Got a kernel panic beforehand. Also my Sites directory has some permissions issue and is no longer web accessible.

Only issues so far.
  • Reply 103 of 171
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I've updated 3 Mac's with Leopard - an Intel Mac Mini, an Intel iMac (original), and a iMac G4 800MHz (unsupported).

On the Intel iMac, I just did an upgrade, with basically no issues except with Keychain - I had to re-create the Keychain.

On the Mac Mini, I did an archive install, which worked well, with Migration Assistant moving over my accounts and such. I did have an annoying bug in Parallels/Ubuntu - ubuntu 7 (the latest) could not start the window server. I moved back to an ubuntu 6 version, and all is well.

My G4 iMac 800MHz took a little longer.... I connected it to my MDD 1GHz via firewire target mode, then tried an upgrade. It kept having errors at different parts of the installation, and I would have to re-start. I then tried archive installs, with the same problems. I settled in on an archive install with no optional installs, and the 2nd time I tried that I got through it. Once it re-booted, I used migration assistant to move over all the accounts and stuff. Then I installed the optional stuff via the DVD but this does NOT require booting off the DVD. Leopard now runs beautifully on it!

Now I have to decide if I should install Leopard on a 600MHz iBook? a 300MHz Tangerine iBook? Both run Tiger great!
  • Reply 104 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

I've updated 3 Mac's with Leopard - an Intel Mac Mini, an Intel iMac (original), and a iMac G4 800MHz (unsupported).

On the Intel iMac, I just did an upgrade, with basically no issues except with Keychain - I had to re-create the Keychain.

On the Mac Mini, I did an archive install, which worked well, with Migration Assistant moving over my accounts and such. I did have an annoying bug in Parallels/Ubuntu - ubuntu 7 (the latest) could not start the window server. I moved back to an ubuntu 6 version, and all is well.

My G4 iMac 800MHz took a little longer.... I connected it to my MDD 1GHz via firewire target mode, then tried an upgrade. It kept having errors at different parts of the installation, and I would have to re-start. I then tried archive installs, with the same problems. I settled in on an archive install with no optional installs, and the 2nd time I tried that I got through it. Once it re-booted, I used migration assistant to move over all the accounts and stuff. Then I installed the optional stuff via the DVD but this does NOT require booting off the DVD. Leopard now runs beautifully on it!

Now I have to decide if I should install Leopard on a 600MHz iBook? a 300MHz Tangerine iBook? Both run Tiger great!

That's cool. I usually expect OS's to be able to run on older systems than they were intended for. But all the errors during installation are pretty weird. Do you think they are the installer checking for the required system? Or something actually wrong in the installation?

Does your G4 usually have problems? i.e. maybe this is unrelated to it being out of spec.

Is Leopard's performance (especially QuickLook and Spaces) as good as Tiger was on the old machine?
  • Reply 105 of 171
    It took about 15mins to do an upgrade. No hiccups.(On my G5 dual-core 2.3) I made sure to do a custom install when I got to the option to do so ( I always make sure to do that) so I didn't install extra fonts, drivers, X11 etc.. just the base system. All is well so far! CS3 works fine, my other apps seem to work ok with no issues.
  • Reply 106 of 171
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Good experience in installation; did a clean install on a separate drive, keeping 10.4.9 intact on another drive (Dual G5). Have not upgraded any other systems (33 Macs of various flavors still running 10.4.9, one running 9.2.1). Still testing for compatibility, stability and useability.

No network testing yet (obviously, upgraded only one machine :-). Everything seems to be operational except the following:

Dymo LabelWriter 330

HP Laser 2550

Epson Color 980

Epson Photo R200

Canon LIDE 30 Scanner

Filemaker 7.0.3

Adobe GoLive 6.0.1

SuperDuper 2.1.4

OmniGraffle 2.1

MYOB 2006

1. Dymo support told me today that new softwarewould be forthcoming in 2-3 weeks. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

2. No news yet on HP updates. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

3. Epson claims both R200 & 980 should work out of the box but my experience, and many others on the Apple Forums, is the opposite. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

4. I'm not too concerned about the scanner, it was fifty bucks. My thinking is that I'll be forced to buy another. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

5. Filemaker is a big deal for us, we do all our material ordering and customer invoicing off of Filemaker, and obviously must continue. It appears that Filemaker will only support version 9 and forward, and that won't happen until mid to late November. We'd have to plunk a lot of cash into updating our databases from 7 to 9, and it just doesn't appear to be worth it right now. Who has this kind of time anyway? For now, we'll boot into Tiger and get our work done.

6. Looks like GoLive is dead meat. We'll boot into Tiger. Too much inter-departmental experience in this application to switch without major training costs and downtime.

7. SuperDuper will have an update shortly and this is good news. TimeMachine looks like fun but we want complete scheduled backups that are 100% bulletproof and SuperDuper has a long and successful track record of doing this for us.

8. OmniGraffle will have an update that works in Leopard but this is a huge bummer. Version 2.1 was fast, lean and mean and did everything we needed to do. The best drawing application we've ever used! Follow on versions were slow, buggy and bloated. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

9. MYOB - knowing this company, they'll charge for any minor update. We're searching for a new accounting system anyway. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

And of course, one of the biggest things for us - ASM 2.2 - is Leopard compatible.

Leopard appears to be very stable, some hiccups in JavaScript on the web, although Safari did not immediately crash like it does in Tiger, it still delivered a long, long beachball. OS X has never been very strong supporting JavaScript anyway.

It does not appear that the Finder is faster, although I'm not really timing anything, just an observation. I am not a fan of the system-wide iTunes look but at least it's system-wide finally. The whole look of 10.5 seems a bit dark to me. Not being able to drag folders into the Dock is relatively dumb - having some arbitrary document inside that folder appear is confusing and wastes time. The pop-up of all the files in alphabetical order out of the dock is worthless and serves little purpose. Some people like the shiny reflective dock, others don't... I really don't care. Plus, it can be changed in the terminal, and I think that's what we'll do for all installations eventually. Folders still don't update very well when content has changed. This should've been easy to have fixed.

The rest of the stuff is eye candy and I don't care one way or the other, as long as it works and saves time.

More testing is needed but first impressions are that it's working, some support issues are there (which are to be expected in a new OS release) but overall, it's relatively stable. My major disappointment is that I really hoped the Finder would be super-fast, just scream.
  • Reply 107 of 171
    Not all is well in Adobe and Leopard land. Illustrator will crash when going to the file open command. Happened even after I deleted the prefs and restarted it. Ive gotten a few Sys prefs unexpectedly crashed messages as well. Noting too major, except the ILL issue is rather a hot one.

Anybody have this issue in ILL CS3 as well? I may just do a clean reinstall of the apps to be safe here in the next few hours though.
  • Reply 108 of 171
    lets see. put in the disk, restarted the comp, took a while to boot up, got me afraid. but then it was smooth sailing. went to play soccer in the gym, came back, and it was done.

no snags thus far
  • Reply 109 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Not all is well in Adobe and Leopard land. Illustrator will crash when going to the file open command. Happened even after I deleted the prefs and restarted it. Ive gotten a few Sys prefs unexpectedly crashed messages as well. Noting too major, except the ILL issue is rather a hot one.

Anybody have this issue in ILL CS3 as well? I may just do a clean reinstall of the apps to be safe here in the next few hours though.

Nope ILL cs3 is fine and dany here. And on the AI front page, ILcs3 is adobe certified compatible too.

So it looks like you're on your own in terms of finding out what went wrong. As with the PS problem for another user.

As repeated above.

Try to make a new user account, and see if AI runs on that account. This will tell if it's a settings problem.

Try to boot into safe mode (hold shift) and see if it does it. (this will see if it's a conflict on the system level).

After that you're probably looking at a moving target (I assume you ran disk permission and fdisk?)

On another note, I have seen that problem before on CS2 (tiger machines). It had to do with flaking ethernet cable, since it was accessed on a network. Are you on a network?
  • Reply 110 of 171
    Just wondering if anyone has tried upgrading a system running Tiger with Windows (via bootcamp Beta) - does all seem to be well with both OS's once Leopard is up? Typically I tend to do a clean install with new OS releases, but I'm considering the upgrade this go around due to the time factor of having to back everything up before the wipe and reload stage.

Thanks!!
  • Reply 111 of 171
    itunes tagging for multiple files now appears to be broken \
  • Reply 112 of 171
    I just upgraded my imac 1.8 to leopard and I have had mixed results. Since the upgrade I have had a few intermittent glitches.

First off I have have yet been able to figure out how to turn off ssl on my outgoing mail server so that I can send mail. My test messages are in my outbox and when I try and delete them I always end up with one mail message that won't delete.

Secondly I since the upgrade I have had moments where my mouse wouldn't work. I have a logitech revolution mouse and my apple mouse. I have a 7 port hub connected. Thought the hub might be the issue, but when I connect to the back of the computer it still has times it won't work. As a matter of fact one time the mouse wouldn't work in the port on the back of the computer or in the hub but worked fine plugged into the keyboard. Kind of a weird thing and I only have had this trouble with mice. All my other devices have had no problems yet.

Over all the thing I have been the most impressed with is bootcamp. I was actually stunned by how easy it was to install xp and install all of the drivers. With the addition of macdrive both OS's seems to be able to share data and work seamlessly. Now if they could just get where you don't have to reboot to switch it would be perfect! I was a little surprised that apple didn't come out with its own version of macdrive for windows. I have found that to be a very important addition.

I'm sure when I get all the bugs worked out leopard will be great. Seems to be somewhat faster than tiger.

David

ps. Anyone else miss the arrows in the dock to tell you what apps are running? This little faint blue balls are way to hard to see.
  • Reply 113 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Epson Color 980

Epson Photo R200

3. Epson claims both R200 & 980 should work out of the box but my experience, and many others on the Apple Forums, is the opposite. For now, we'll boot into Tiger.

Epson has a special Leopard-driver page: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ortLeopard.jsp
  • Reply 114 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

The other thing I am not sure I like is that the Airport Disk Drives don't auto connect and show up on the desk top.

Go into your Finder preferences, under General. For some reason, by default, it doesn't show connected servers on the desktop.
  • Reply 115 of 171
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    finally got mine!

upgraded it took about 45 minutes ...

so far looks good, will post any problems,

1) yahoo messenger not launching for some reason

trashed and installed yahoo messenger

2) Date widget was not there, added again

3) Reconfigured wireless network again, it was working but some reason i was not able to login, hard reset airport extreme base station

and configure again

4) my other vista partition untouched and able to boot without any issues

5) ...

-----------------------------------

Macbook black Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, now with 10.5!!!
  • Reply 116 of 171
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Install on my mini went fine.

Install on my 12" PB (867mhz) resulted in the non-booting blue screen. I loaded into target disk mode, got what I needed off (yeah, yeah, I shoulda done that first), then erased and installed.

Now the pb, with a clean install, usually crashes upon waking from sleep. Crash reporter, when I send the bug to Apple, seems to indicate some kind of wireless issue.
  • Reply 117 of 171
    I had posted earlier in the forum about upgrading and whether it was worth it right now. I went ahead and bought Leopard (Woohoo for my university's special vending license!), and the update went perfectly fine. I'm running a MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo, 2 gb RAM), and I just did a regular "Upgrade," opposed to Archive and Install or Clean Install. Hopefully my laziness doesn't prove to affect me later on down the road.

It ran really sluggish at first (Spotlight indexing?), but after letting it sit for a night and a couple reboots, it's working perfectly. *Sigh* it makes me happy :-)
  • Reply 118 of 171
    I like the new terminal.app - tabs are great - but one thing is driving me crazy. If I have a text string selected, and then change focus to another application and back, the string is no longer selected. I do a lot of repetitive commands and it used to be so easy to just jump back to the terminal and do command-c command-v without even looking. Now I have to reselect the text every time. Does this qualify as a bug? Seems like other programs retain text selections.
  • Reply 119 of 171
    js29js29 Posts: 44member
    I am a fairly new Mac user so I have never done this before. I upgraded via DVD on Saturday. All went well until my iMac rebooted. It then froze at the blue screen just before the login window. I let it stay there for about an hour, then decided I had had enough. I called Apple, and they walked me through the following process:

Turn machine off - worked

Hold down "C" and turn machine on - worked

Set install preferences (archive and install) - worked

Continue through prompts to install - worked

Machine came online and all seem well. All 3 user accounts were still there with their preferences, desktop images, icons, shortcuts, email setting, messages etc... When I was on the phone with Apple, the tech support person (who was VERY difficult to understand) said I would need to do a recovery on my archived system settings. Do I need to do this? None of the 3 users of the machine, including myself have experienced any problems or missing data.

Can any of you mac experts please offer some guidance? Can I delete the archive, do I need to perform some kind of restore, should I do anything?

Thank a bunch!
  • Reply 120 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.mantic View Post

I like the new terminal.app - tabs are great - but one thing is driving me crazy. If I have a text string selected, and then change focus to another application and back, the string is no longer selected. I do a lot of repetitive commands and it used to be so easy to just jump back to the terminal and do command-c command-v without even looking. Now I have to reselect the text every time. Does this qualify as a bug? Seems like other programs retain text selections.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I'm surprised at how many little bugs there are. I know there are not as many developers as there are consumers, but still you would think a lot of these things would be caught, if people were using the developer builds for ordinary use...

Well, off to the bug report form...