1GHZ iBook on Horizon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Folks, i need an iBook. Are there any hints of emerging 1ghz iBook due on MWSF?

Maybay one surprise would be the use of sahara chips in its portable con line?

best

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Vox Barbara:

<strong>Folks, i need an iBook. Are there any hints of emerging 1ghz iBook due on MWSF?

best</strong><hr></blockquote>

Though I think the use of sahara chips in the iMac line could be done it remains speculation. And -if_ it happens they will probably run just a little bit slower than 1 ghz. But for that the pro laptops had to go to ghz too.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Vox Barbara:

<strong>Folks, i need an iBook. Are there any hints of emerging 1ghz iBook due on MWSF?

best</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes it is possible that the iBook will go 1Ghz at MWSF03 and may even be a G4
  • Reply 3 of 20
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

Yes it is possible that the iBook will go 1Ghz at MWSF03 and may even be a G4</strong><hr></blockquote>

now you're being pessimistic.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Just wanted to post another European reply, while the States is still trying to wake up.

I want a 1GHz iBook as well, but I'm not expecting one for some time. I'm sure there will be some kind of upgrade to the line for Macworld Tokyo, but that's in March.

muss warten...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You know, it would be really nice if the Power Macs were above 1 GHz before the iBooks.

In fact, the PowerBook G4 isn't even close to 1 GHz and it was supposedly just 'upgraded' last week to include the combo drive.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a 1 GHz iBook for MWSF, but I would expect there to be a new iBook at the show.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Just speaking as an outsider, I suspect there won't be a major upgrade to the laptops till MWT in March. Even then, if the current iBook is 600MHz I suspect that 1GHz would be a huge jump. 800 or 900MHz seems within reason. However, a 1GHz machine would be within the realm of possibility.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    I'm hoping for a bump. I'd agree that 800mhz is far more likely; it happens to be the low-end clock speed of the Sahara G3. I'm holding off until the 7th, but I need to buy an iBook soon.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    guys be realistic that's going 400mhz in 3 months.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well if the PM G4's get 1.2 ghz mid range, with dual 1ghz high end, the thats about a jump of 400 mhz. Yeah I know the math is wrong but it's early!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>guys be realistic that's going 400mhz in 3 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, by no stretch ... i can't figure out your def of Reality ?

As sooner it pops up, as sooner the market share will grow, as sooner the cons. will satisfied ...

"Digital Hub Tasks" need competitive hardware around. Given that, 400mhz in 3 months is not that unrealistic, it's more a matter of survive, isn't it.

best
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I think that the all of Apple's products need to be &gt; Ghz for market share reasons. We might understand (or want to believe in!) the Mhz myth, but most don't.

But tell me - seriously - what will a 1Ghz iBook do that a 600 Mhz can't? What digital hub tasks would be enabled by upping the Mhz by 400?

Where is the iBook lacking competition wise? What does a Ghz PC notebook do that an iBook can't? How will 400 more Mhz help the iBook?

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: jwdawso ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I'd much rather have the iBook get a bigger HD (20 minimum) and a bigger screen - maybe bump it up to 13 or so?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]I think that the all of Apple's products need to be &gt; Ghz for market share reasons. We might understand (or want to believe in!) the Mhz myth, but most don't.

But tell me - seriously - what will a 1Ghz iBook do that a 600 Mhz can't? What digital hub tasks would be enabled by upping the Mhz by 400?

Where is the iBook lacking competition wise? What does a Ghz PC notebook do that an iBook can't? How will 400 more Mhz help the iBook?<hr></blockquote>

How about run OSX at a decent clip

How about run new killer apps

Anytime a comp mfg gives you more MHZ at the smae price its a good thing, and if it comes early and often its a gooder thing.

BTW the MHZ myth is real when the other side outpaces you by greater than 2:1.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    The new Dell 8100 1.26GHz gets something like 125fps in Q3.

That's more than the Quicksilver Dual 800. There is room for improvement.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Don't hold your breath. We won't be seeing 1GHz iBooks for quite a while.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

Anytime a comp mfg gives you more MHZ at the smae price its a good thing, and if it comes early and often its a gooder thing.

...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed! Now if Motorolla and IBM would only cooperate...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>

... There is room for improvement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've got it, buddy. That's what Mr. Joe younameit will understand, too. That's what Mr. PC Buyer (or butcher?) will understand, too.

In this biz it doesn't really matter, if 400 mhz really enhance overall performance that much. But the average joe will ALWAYS option for the case that PROMISES more for less. That's the game. It is all around psychlogical.

BTW, do you really think 16 airbags and a car with all the gadgets will save your live better than an "oldtimer" (2 years old car)? NO, you don't! But you're somewhat releaved knowing your car could save your live better than others. I think you've got the pic.

best
  • Reply 18 of 20

<strong>The new Dell 8100 1.26GHz gets something like 125fps in Q3.

That's more than the Quicksilver Dual 800. There is room for improvement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much does that one cost? Is it an iBook competitor or a TiBook competitor? How does it compare in battery life and weight? How is it playing Q3 on a laptop anyway? Don't get me wrong on this last question - I think being able to play games on a portable is important, just like being able to play DVDs and music. It's part of "Your life. To go." Sitting in the Library before finals playing Q3 sounds fun, though not conducive to good grades.

Without a doubt there is room for improvement when comparing fps for games. I think PCs in general have higher fps than Mac's - let's not even talk about price!
  • Reply 19 of 20

<strong>The new Dell 8100 1.26GHz gets something like 125fps in Q3.

That's more than the Quicksilver Dual 800. There is room for improvement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The laptop weighs about 50 pounds and has at least two fans. Volume-wise its twice the size of a TiBook. If you wanna play high-end games, get a GameCube
  • Reply 20 of 20
    rhjrhj Posts: 1member
    A 1Gig iBook won't be on the cards for months, think theres going to be 1gig G4 and G3 though.