Acomdata HD problem!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys, I've been using this external HD for a few months now and it works great. I recently installed Leopard and now whenver I try to access the drive, "it can't be found". It's all connected, I restarted, updated, deleted and tried pretty much everything. I just wanted to know if someone can help my laptop connect and access the HD just like it did before. Thanks alot guys.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewbaran View Post

Hey guys, I've been using this external HD for a few months now and it works great. I recently installed Leopard and now whenver I try to access the drive, "it can't be found". It's all connected, I restarted, updated, deleted and tried pretty much everything. I just wanted to know if someone can help my laptop connect and access the HD just like it did before. Thanks alot guys.

Andrew

is it showing up in disk utility??
  • Reply 2 of 11
    no its not showing up in the disk utility. Only the "CD" portion of it is. Thats about it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I have the same issue. I just upgraded to Leopard for my iMac and bought a Macbook (Leopard) for my wife. I reinstalled the drive several times but the hardware can't be found anywhere. Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    same exact problem after updating to leopard. wrote an e-mail to acomdata support but that was like a week ago. any word on how to fix this yet?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    FYI...

I have an Acom 500GB and Acom 80 GB (both firewire) and they work just fine with Leopard.

I know that's of little help to you, but I thought I'd share as it's somewhat related to your post.

(They work with both an Intel iMac AND a G4 PowerBook.)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I had a acomdata 160 gb usb 2.0 HD on a imac working great before leopard. Since updating I had the same problem. I was able to solve the problem after a few days this way. It seems that leopard limits the energy coming from the usb port of the computer, so the HD does not function right (so it is not recognized by the computer). You need to connect the usb cable to 2 usb port (to get more energy) or get an optional ac power adapter to get the drive working. Since doing this the drive works normally on 2 different computers upgraded to leopard, but did not work previously. Good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdiez View Post

I had a acomdata 160 gb usb 2.0 HD on a imac working great before leopard. Since updating I had the same problem. I was able to solve the problem after a few days this way. It seems that leopard limits the energy coming from the usb port of the computer, so the HD does not function right (so it is not recognized by the computer). You need to connect the usb cable to 2 usb port (to get more energy) or get an optional ac power adapter to get the drive working. Since doing this the drive works normally on 2 different computers upgraded to leopard, but did not work previously. Good luck.

I don't understand this post. My USB HDD comes with its own AC power adapter. I am able to install the software as it is recognized. However, once the software is installed, when I log in, my machine does not see the drive as being attached. I tried on both machines and the exact same thing happens.

The HDD does work in Boot Camp and also worked before upgrading so I know the problem is either the driver or a conflict with OS X. I purchased another drive for $80 for now but I would like to see this get resolved.

I also emailed Acomdata a few days ago and not heard back. I don't expect any tech support from them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Sorry if my post was not clear (I usually speak french...). My HD drive is a acomdata hybrid drive 2.5" and does not have a ac power adapter. it takes its power from the usb port. It came with a funny cable that has two ends on one side (to connect to the computer usb ports) and one that goes into the drive. Previoulsy (on Mac os 10.4) the drive had no difficulty to be recognized if I connected only one of the ends into my computer. Since Leopard, I need to connect both usb ends to the computer to get it to work. You need to know that by connecting only one, the drive seems to work because it lights up, but it mounts on the finder only if I connect both usb connectors (problem:I have no more free usb port on my MacBook Pro or on my iMac). So my post could help you only if you had a bus-powered drive.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sooo anyone know what to do?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cheers. i think i figured out one possible fix for the problems people have been having.

you may want to try loading the hard drive onto a PC and turn off the security password setting on it. as soon as i did that, i loaded it back on my mac and it worked wonderfully.

now, does anyone know how to delete the annoying cd partition on the hard drive?

i just bought the hard drive this morning at the sales and was pretty bummed when i read that it couldn't work with leopard. but luckily we have a pc around the house. i guess they're a little more than just paper weights.

hope this helps everyone out. cheers!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocketpants View Post

cheers. i think i figured out one possible fix for the problems people have been having.

you may want to try loading the hard drive onto a PC and turn off the security password setting on it. as soon as i did that, i loaded it back on my mac and it worked wonderfully.

now, does anyone know how to delete the annoying cd partition on the hard drive?

i just bought the hard drive this morning at the sales and was pretty bummed when i read that it couldn't work with leopard. but luckily we have a pc around the house. i guess they're a little more than just paper weights.

hope this helps everyone out. cheers!

Hey that worked! I already bought another external drive so now I have an extra one. But at least it works now oh well... Thanks for the fix.