Customizing the Leopard Dock

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

how do you unlock the files to edit them? i tried to in get info but i couldn't.

This is how to change icons: http://macs.about.com/od/osx/a/change_icons.htm
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Apple has really screwed up the Dock... and the Dock was screwed up to begin with.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

This is how to change icons: http://macs.about.com/od/osx/a/change_icons.htm

to change the dock itself, not the icons on it.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:

to change the dock itself, not the icons on it.

> mkdir ~/Documents/DockBackup
    > mkdir ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited
    > cp /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scu* ~/Documents/DockBackup
    > cp /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scu* ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited
    Then after editing the files in Edited folder (or replacing with ones you downloaded):
    > sudo cp ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited/scu* /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resource
    Enter the Admin password when prompted then:
    > killall Dock
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post
    > mkdir ~/Documents/DockBackup
    > mkdir ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited
    > cp /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scu* ~/Documents/DockBackup
    > cp /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/scu* ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited
    Then after editing the files in Edited folder (or replacing with ones you downloaded):
    > sudo cp ~/Documents/DockBackup/Edited/scu* /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resource
    Enter the Admin password when prompted then:
    > killall Dock

i've decided i'm not even going to bother with it. i keep the dock on the side of the page anyways. haha.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

i've decided i'm not even going to bother with it. i keep the dock on the side of the page anyways. haha.

You don't have to use the terminal at all if you're not comfortable with it.

Just go to the Dock.app in your CoreServices folder inside the System folder.

Right-click it and do show package contents.

Then go to Contents/resources.

Some of the PNGs in there are what you edit.

To make a backup first, just drag the resources folder anywhere and then don't edit it at all - put a lock on it if you want.

Then take another copy that you will be editing on your desktop or something.

Open one of the files in that copy, edit and save it.

In the system folder, move the corresponding file to trash.

Then drag in the one you've saved and it will ask for your password.

Finally restart the dock as mentioned above with killall Dock.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Why can't the dock highlight the running apps a little better. Maybe a glowing box around them? That LED is hard to see.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Can someone post Tiger's triangle PNGS? I want to use those to replace the blue orbs...
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Hey people viewing this thread. Anyone has the tiger dock's pngs? Can extract from your OS?
  • Reply 30 of 64
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I try not to let stuff like this bug me.

But obviously, thats just me.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    I might try this dark dock... I like the look of it.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    I like the whiter look better on dark backgrounds, and the black on whiter ones. It would be nice to be able to adjust the tint of that.. .Should be easy to do using core animation.

Apple never takes advantage of this stuff.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Daffy, is there anyway you can post or send me your dark dock files, I really like how yours work but I can't get photoshop working at the moment...

Thanks
  • Reply 34 of 64
    here's some fun docks I came up with. Some ideas worked better than others, but editing and replacing images did not prove to be too difficult at all.

I can upload the .png files for any of them if anyone is interested.

• Reply 35 of 64
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    oh i really like the grass one! how did you do it?

edit: you should do one with the crisscross metal design on firetrucks. That'd be cool

maybe wood floor?

i could go on forever
  • Reply 36 of 64
    amg7amg7 Posts: 1member
    Hey, i love the dock on the far bottom, without the grey 3d floor but keeping the reflections. very nice! Would it be possible for you to upload it somewhere? Great work
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Instead of loading them all individually, I just zipped them all up! There's actually a couple more sets in here as well. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?3lyxzcxe2tw
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangosquash View Post

Instead of loading them all individually, I just zipped them all up! There's actually a couple more sets in here as well. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?3lyxzcxe2tw

Nice work mango!
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Added some sepia to the mix to go with my wallpaper on the dock.....I like it atleast ;]

• Reply 40 of 64
    Wooooaaaahhhh, very nice. Can you upload that wallpaper? One of the nicest ones I've seen.