Question about Spaces in Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I haven't gotten Leopard yet (waiting on my iMac until Christmas) but when I was at the Apple store messing around with Spaces, I noticed that it seemed to "chug" a bit when cycling between different spaces. An (extremely hot female) Apple genius walked over to me to ask me if I had any questions, so I asked her about it. She shyly said "I noticed that too and I'm not sure what's up with it." The system we were on was a 24" iMac 2.4 with 2GB of RAM.

She then said she thought that running a disk cleanup utility (I forgot the official name of the program) may help it, and she wanted to see if it was doing the same thing on other machines but they were all taken.

In any case, if anyone can let me know if their Macs are doing similar things in Spaces, that would be great. I'm sure it's not a big deal and a software update can fix it, but I would hope that 2GB of RAM and a 2.4 CTD proc could handle it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'm on a 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook with 2GB of RAM, and Spaces is very snappy.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It's not that sluggish on a 1.8 GHz G5 either.

Some people want instantaneous results. Personally waiting a split second for a slit delay doesn't bother me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

It's not that sluggish on a 1.8 GHz G5 either.

Some people want instantaneous results. Personally waiting a split second for a slit delay doesn't bother me.

For the kind of money spent on these machines, hell yes I want instantaneous results!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    I'm on a 1.25ghz G4 and spaces runs just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Latest hi-end 20" iMac, 2GB ram, with second monitor attached. Don't see how Spaces switching could get any faster. You really can't use a computer in a retail sore as a reliable judge of performance. On a newer Mac, if there is a problem with UI speed of Leopard, there is a problem with the machine, not Leopard. It leaps!