Adobe Indesign CS3 issues on 10.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Have an issue folks that I cant remedy. Indesign CS3 wont launch or I should say launch completely without crashing. It gets almost done loading the splash screen then crashes. I've tried all the steps that Adobe recommends online for crashes in OSX. Root user doesn't work, doing a safe boot doesn't work, disabling my user fonts doesn't work. Even uninstalling everything and reinstalling fresh still doesn't work. All the other CS3 apps seem to work fine so far. Here is the error message.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Have an issue folks that I cant remedy. Indesign CS3 wont launch or I should say launch completely without crashing. It gets almost done loading the splash screen then crashes. I've tried all the steps that Adobe recommends online for crashes in OSX. Root user doesn't work, doing a safe boot doesn't work, disabling my user fonts doesn't work. Even uninstalling everything and reinstalling fresh still doesn't work. All the other CS3 apps seem to work fine so far. Here is the error message.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

I'm running 5.0.1 on my MacBook with Leopard and I'm not experiencing any problems. Maybe try updating your InDesign to the latest and see if that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I'm running 5.0.1 on my MacBook with Leopard and I'm not experiencing any problems. Maybe try updating your InDesign to the latest and see if that helps.

Yea I have the update but the damn thing wont install. It didnt work in 10.4.10 and it still wont run in 10.5. Im also In a G5, but that shouldn't be an issue...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Yea I have the update but the damn thing wont install. It didnt work in 10.4.10 and it still wont run in 10.5. Im also In a G5, but that shouldn't be an issue...

Hmm, are you running the update through Bridge? If not, try using Bridge's update function and see if that will install the 5.0.1 version for you.

After you had the failed update under Tiger, did InDesign still work properly?

Do you have a back-up that you can revert to in a worst case scenario?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Hmm, are you running the update through Bridge? If not, try using Bridge's update function and see if that will install the 5.0.1 version for you.

After you had the failed update under Tiger, did InDesign still work properly?

Do you have a back-up that you can revert to in a worst case scenario?

I have tried to run the updates through bridge but the updater gets stuck in a cycle of trying to update itself to a newer updater version.. go figure? But I dl'd the separate updates off the Adobe site and they still wont run either the ID or ILL updates..It says it cant find the software to update even though it is in the default place they get installed to, the Apps folder...
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

I have tried to run the updates through bridge but the updater gets stuck in a cycle of trying to update itself to a newer updater version.. go figure? But I dl'd the separate updates off the Adobe site and they still wont run either the ID or ILL updates..It says it cant find the software to update even though it is in the default place they get installed to, the Apps folder...

Try to update in Safe Mode (startup while holding shift). That way, you can avoid potential system-conflicts,
  • Reply 6 of 27
    what I've heard is that you need a clean install of leopard for it to work properly. I'm having the same problem having used "upgrade" install. So I will try the clean install later and let you know if it fixes the problem.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Use the Installer DVD for ACS 3 which ever version and run a repair on the install this has fixed some strange issue I was having with the apps not launching and crashing a lot.

It seems some parts of the shared components are either missing or corrupted due to leopard.

One other things I have found after a clean install of leopard is the adobe apps are working much better.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    This is why I didnt buy leapord yet. I don't want to upgrade only to find out a few of my apps are useless until the OS is updated or the apps themselves are updated.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I am having the exact same issue. I am running a Dual 1 Gig G4 Quicksilver. Just upgraded to Leopard on Monday. Everything Adobe works great, but not InDesign. I get the same error window. I have completely removed all adobe files and reinstalled CS3. Still nothing. I have run the Adobe InDesign upgrade, it can't find the InDesign App. Even when it's in the same folder. This is my design station at work, I am unable to do a clean install of Leopard at this time. Any ideas?

This seems to be a random issue, I haven't seen that many Intel's with this issue.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardyman View Post

I am having the exact same issue. I am running a Dual 1 Gig G4 Quicksilver. Just upgraded to Leopard on Monday. Everything Adobe works great, but not InDesign. I get the same error window. I have completely removed all adobe files and reinstalled CS3. Still nothing. I have run the Adobe InDesign upgrade, it can't find the InDesign App. Even when it's in the same folder. This is my design station at work, I am unable to do a clean install of Leopard at this time. Any ideas?

This seems to be a random issue, I haven't seen that many Intel's with this issue.

I have this issue, and running on an intel. According to Adobe, the error occurs depending on how you installed leopard. To avoid the error you have to do a clean install of leopard (not upgrade).
  • Reply 11 of 27
    anyone still has this problem pm me I have a fix.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

anyone still has this problem pm me I have a fix.

Please, any help would be much appreciated. I installed Leopard and decided to upgrade to InDesign CS3. I paid for it (Pagemaker upgrade) and downloaded it but it won't install. It says "Adobe InDesign CS3 cannot be installed because it conflicts with Adobe InDesign CS3". I'm desparate and the Adobe "Support" site is no help.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Did you install anything else with Indesign CS 3?

I wiull help further with the answer as it will depend on what you will need to do to fixit.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmnemonic View Post

Please, any help would be much appreciated. I installed Leopard and decided to upgrade to InDesign CS3. I paid for it (Pagemaker upgrade) and downloaded it but it won't install. It says "Adobe InDesign CS3 cannot be installed because it conflicts with Adobe InDesign CS3". I'm desparate and the Adobe "Support" site is no help.

Uninstall indesign, using the uninstall component part of the adobe setup program, then reinstall.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

Uninstall indesign, using the uninstall component part of the adobe setup program, then reinstall.

Where is the "uninstall component"?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Did you install anything else with Indesign CS 3?

I wiull help further with the answer as it will depend on what you will need to do to fixit.

No. I have Acrobat installed but that doesn't seem to have been affected by the switch to Leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    The adobe uninstall is useless and not worth the hassle been ther done that.

Run the adobe installer again and do a repair and install this will repair the parts that may not have been installed correctly and it works for the entire suite if needed.

I had the same issue and this was the way it worked for me and much easier to boot.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

The adobe uninstall is useless and not worth the hassle been ther done that.

Run the adobe installer again and do a repair and install this will repair the parts that may not have been installed correctly and it works for the entire suite if needed.

I had the same issue and this was the way it worked for me and much easier to boot.

What does "do a repair" mean? The when I run "Setup" it doesn't give me any other options.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Sorry about that I should have added a little more info

This is how I did the repair and install

1. run setup

2. Install and Reinstall (Click Next)

3.\tdeselect the apps not needed to be installed (Click Next)

4.\tcheck the list has the apps required (Click Install)

Then it checks and installs and repairs problems components and apps as needed.

This is what I did and all is now working

Adobe don't name things to well.

Make sure all web browsers and mail, MS Office apps are all quit out of before it will work.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Sorry about that I should have added a little more info

This is how I did the repair and install

1. run setup

2. Install and Reinstall (Click Next)

I can't get as far as step 2. I run setup and it halts with "Adobe InDesign CS3 cannot be installed because it conflicts with: Adobe InDesign CS3". The only option I'm given is "cancel".

I should never have wasted more money on Adobe -- my old Pagemaker was still working fine in Classic!