Apple sells 2 million copies of Mac OS X Leopard in first weekend

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that it sold over two million copies of Mac OS X Leopard since its release on Friday, far outpacing the first-weekend sales of Mac OS X Tiger, which was previously the most successful OS release in the company's history.

Sales included copies sold at Apple's retail stores, Apple Authorized Resellers, the online Apple Store, under maintenance agreements and bundled with new Mac computers. In comparison, it took the Cupertino-based Mac maker nearly six weeks to ship its 2 millionth copy of Mac OS X Tiger back in 2005.

"Early indications are that Leopard will be a huge hit with customers," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Leopard's innovative features are getting great reviews and making more people than ever think about switching to the Mac."

Leopard is the sixth major release of Mac OS X and is packed with more than 300 new features. Among them is Time Machine, an effortless way to automatically back up everything on a Mac; a redesigned Finder that lets users quickly browse and share files between multiple Macs; Quick Look, a new way to instantly see files without opening an application; Spaces, an intuitive new feature used to create groups of applications and instantly switch between them; a brand new desktop with Stacks, a new way to easily access files from the Dock; and major enhancements to Mail and iChat.

Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard is available through the Apple Store, at Apple's retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $129 for a single user license and $199 for the five-user license Family Pack.

However, the best deals on Leopard continue to come by way of online retailer Amazon.com, which does not charge sales tax and is offering an instant $20 off Leopard single license and $10 off the family pack, bringing the costs down to $109, and $189, respectively. Amazon is also offering deals on Leopard Server.

Leopard requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM and is designed to run on any Macintosh computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Wow!! that's 258 million! on the conservative side....
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how many copies of Vista were sold in the same time? I can't find anything on wikipedia.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Probably more, but they have more over-all users. Though Apple has gained like a 2-3% base in the past few years.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Vista launched first to corporations, in November '06. Three months later, after the first month of widespread consumer availability, 20 million copies had been "sold", but this included bulk Vista licenses for PCs that had not yet been sold and XP sales that came with coupons for low-cost Vista upgrades. By mid-May, 6 months post-launch, Vista had "sold" 40 million copies.

For comparison, AppleInsider reported in March '07 that Tiger sold 2 million copies in its first 4 weeks (in 2005) and that Vista sales figures "daunt" Apple. Pundits predicted Mac marketshare would decline over the next several months as Vista took over.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Is the Family Pack considered 5 copies of Leopard? I purchased a FP and will only use 2 (3 if I can pull off the PC hack) of the licenses. That sales number may be a bit misleading... but it's still huge

I don't know how accurate this is...but I found a forum that said Windows XP sold 232,000 copies in the first week. I found another forum that said Vista was 60% below that in first week sales. Somewhere around 100,000? I'd say Apple smoked Microsoft in first week sales.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgc90 View Post

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how many copies of Vista were sold in the same time? I can't find anything on wikipedia.

I think it was about the same number as Zunes that sold in the same period wasn't it?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    I think the number is going to grow beyond the wildest dreams of all.

The tide is really turning.

I just spent some time on PC blogs and one was 90% full of PC users who were switching or had switched to OS X and in particular Leopard has them wowed. I include one typical entry from PC blog here, (I hope that is ok legally?) Please delete if it is not Admin person

From Another Blog on a PC site: http://informationweek.com/blog/main...html#community

commented on Oct 30, 2007 5:56:03 AM

"I'm an MSc. in Computer Science working professionally with software development on Windows platforms for 12 years. Last year I realized seeing a friends iMac with Intel processor that, hey, this good looking machine is a PC. Great, I can buy it and run Windows on it. Would be fun to try out Mac OS also (which I have not even turned to look at before) for private stuff like photos, music and film which it said to be good at.

After 3 months I do NOT have the strength to log into Windows. It sucks, for real! I have defended Windows and loved it for 12 professional years, I know it inside out. I gave it all up in 3 months. Really! In comparison it really is worse in most aspects. And as Mac OS X has a UNIX core there is no problem to get under the hood like everyone seem to think, I would say it is the other way around. Anyway, most people do NOT want to get under the hood. You should not HAVE to get under the hood to perform basic stuff which you sometimes need to do in Windows.

Let's leave deep IT and look at stuff most people at home and at work use. I want even go into the Mac OS X built in Movie/photo/music stuff, it IS awsome. Let's look at the Office suit. I know of no-one during my professional years who wouldn't kill for beeing able to use a better word processor than Microsoft Word. Why not try out iWork Pages? The document looks better before you even start writing, and you can actually do real page layouts and typograph stuff (and it is cheaper). As well as open and save in .doc format AS WELL as .pdf, .rtf. Ever used Powerpoint? Check out iWork Keynote. You almost don't believe your eyes! And Powerpoint is what we sit and use in all offices all over the world creating crappy looking presentations paying more!

After starting using Mac OS X and the bundled software I CAN NOT believe that the world is still using Windows. The main reason I think, like for me, is that we do not know that there is an alternative. We think Macs are for "media" guys. I cannot think of one single thing I miss from Windows and that I think does something better than can be found in Mac OS X. New Leopard looks fantastic with real new groundbreaking feaures for everyday computer users which makes you more productive than ever.

I bought Apple shares for every penny I had to spare last summer. The tides must be turning now, I can hear it everywhere, I can see it everywhere. Why don't you join the movement?"

Reason for EDIT is I had the wrong info about where I saw this .. I now include source URL at top. The article is lame but just read the blog below! It is stunning.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think the number is going to grow beyond the wildest dreams of all.

The tide is really turning.

I just spent some time on PC blogs and one from PC magazine was 90% full of PC users who were switching or had switched to OS X and in particular Leopard has them wowed. I include one typical entry from PC magazine;s blog here, (I hope that is ok legally?) Please delete if it is not Admin person

From Another Blog on a PC site:

"I'm an MSc. in Computer Science working professionally with software development on Windows platforms for 12 years. Last year I realized seeing a friends iMac with Intel processor that, hey, this good looking machine is a PC. Great, I can buy it and run Windows on it. Would be fun to try out Mac OS also (which I have not even turned to look at before) for private stuff like photos, music and film which it said to be good at.

After 3 months I do NOT have the strength to log into Windows. It sucks, for real! I have defended Windows and loved it for 12 professional years, I know it inside out. I gave it all up in 3 months. Really! In comparison it really is worse in most aspects. And as Mac OS X has a UNIX core there is no problem to get under the hood like everyone seem to think, I would say it is the other way around. Anyway, most people do NOT want to get under the hood. You should not HAVE to get under the hood to perform basic stuff which you sometimes need to do in Windows.

Let's leave deep IT and look at stuff most people at home and at work use. I want even go into the Mac OS X built in Movie/photo/music stuff, it IS awsome. Let's look at the Office suit. I know of no-one during my professional years who wouldn't kill for beeing able to use a better word processor than Microsoft Word. Why not try out iWork Pages? The document looks better before you even start writing, and you can actually do real page layouts and typograph stuff (and it is cheaper). As well as open and save in .doc format AS WELL as .pdf, .rtf. Ever used Powerpoint? Check out iWork Keynote. You almost don't believe your eyes! And Powerpoint is what we sit and use in all offices all over the world creating crappy looking presentations paying more!

After starting using Mac OS X and the bundled software I CAN NOT believe that the world is still using Windows. The main reason I think, like for me, is that we do not know that there is an alternative. We think Macs are for "media" guys. I cannot think of one single thing I miss from Windows and that I think does something better than can be found in Mac OS X. New Leopard looks fantastic with real new groundbreaking feaures for everyday computer users which makes you more productive than ever.

I bought Apple shares for every penny I had to spare last summer. The tides must be turning now, I can hear it everywhere, I can see it everywhere. Why don't you join the movement?"

DAMN! Balmer must be having a heart episode since friday..
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

The tides must be turning now, I can hear it everywhere, I can see it everywhere. Why don't you join the movement?"

Been using Windows, and still am, for ... let's see... about 10 years (I'm 18).

The last couple of months, I've been following apple and I'm totally convinced that my next computer will be a mac. Just waiting for the pay to get in! (TOMORROW )

Also trying to convince my friends to switch, but they're really kinda stuck up, and think macs are weird. But I'm sure they'll switch sooner or later, after I bring my macbook with Leopard to school!
  • Reply 11 of 60
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halenissen View Post

The last couple of months, I've been following apple and I'm totally convinced that my next computer will be a mac. Just waiting for the pay to get in! (TOMORROW )

Also trying to convince my friends to switch, but they're really kinda stuck up, and think macs are weird. But I'm sure they'll switch sooner or later, after I bring my macbook with Leopard to school!

You really might want to wait as it looks like an update to the macbook is imminent.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Good for you (see previous note ... new MacBook in weeks maybe !) And buy a few APPL shares while you are at it, by the time you are my age you might be a millionaire lol
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenga View Post

DAMN! Balmer must be having a heart episode since friday..

He has a heart?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    How can Amazon USA offer such a good discount? In Japan they only offer a 1% discount.

Price fixing?
  • Reply 15 of 60
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

How can Amazon USA offer such a good discount? In Japan they only offer a 1% discount.

Price fixing?

sales volume, i guess.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Has anyone tried making a clone of there Time Machine back up yet? So far it has failed with Finder, Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper.

You may think I am crazy to want to copy a back up; but the first back up is very slow (once done it is fast) and I wanted to experiment with Airport Extreme Wi Fi backup. In case i screwed up the first backup done directly (a way to get APE to work we think) in testing this theory I tried to clone it but no dice.

If anyone knows how to let me know
  • Reply 17 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Welcome to AI, Halenissen. I concur with Backtomac, wait until the MacBook is updated. IT should be within the next the couple weeks according to Apple's update history and rumours flying around. You will get much more for the same price if you just wait a little bit.

As the resident computer tech I have bullied a good deal of people into switching by politely informing friends and family that if their next computer is not a Mac I will not assist them with computer issues any longer. They can call Geek Squad or MS, for all I care.

Now, I have less troubleshooting issues to tackle leaving more time for productive endeavors and everyone I've switched--without exception--is quite happy with the change and also claims they are more productive. Occasionally, there is an issue with someone not finding the Mac equivalent to a Win program on their own, but with a simple email response and a hyperlink that is resolved. Now with Leopard, any troubleshooting or training that needs to be done via iChat Screen Sharing so even that will help move Windows users into OS X as their is a learning curve albeit ever so slight.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Price fixing?

Yes, that's exactly right.

They fix the price. Duh.

Look out for long lines and shortages at the gas tank next as Amazon implements price fixing on more goods. Duh.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:

Has anyone tried making a clone of there Time Machine back up yet? So far it has failed with Finder, Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper.

You may think I am crazy to want to copy a back up; but the first back up is very slow (once done it is fast) and I wanted to experiment with Airport Extreme Wi Fi backup. In case i screwed up the first backup done directly (a way to get APE to work we think) in testing this theory I tried to clone it but no dice.

If anyone knows how to let me know

I bought a 1 TB MyBook (Western Digital) drive that actually contains two drives.

You can set it for RAID 1 mode, and it appears to your Mac as a 500 GB drive.

Whatever you throw at it gets mirrored to the second drive instantly. If one of the

drives goes down, you've got the other. It was $249 at Best Buy.

My initial Time Machine backup took about three hours. After that, the little backups every hour are not even noticable. (It's got three connection options: FireWire 800,

FireWire 400, and USB 2.0. I use FW800.)

Of course, I can still hook up my Maxtor 500 GB USB 2.0 drive and use SuperDuper

for a snapshot to keep off-site if needed. Although, I admit, I haven't tried that yet,

and I don't know if SuperDuper works with Leopard. That's my plan, though.

Even if SuperDuper doesn't work, you can get a second drive, and just swap them once

in a while. Time Machine is smart enough to backup what needs backing up,

I'm told, even if an official Time Machine drive has been detached and gets reattached

later.

Good luck!
  • Reply 20 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

From Another Blog on a PC site: http://informationweek.com/blog/main...html#community

I don't think it's proper to copy and paste large amounts of text when the link will do fine fine.