iPhone without the phone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I would love to get an iPhone, but AT&T coverage sucks or is non-existent in my area. I've been thinking about just getting an iPod Touch instead until AT&T coverage is better. The thing is I really want to have full calendar and notes functionality, along with email and a camera. Basically I want everything but the phone. Would everything but phone features be functional on an iPhone without signing up for AT&T?

Should I just lump it and get the iPod Touch and hope they start adding features later on?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwolfe54 View Post

I would love to get an iPhone, but AT&T coverage sucks or is non-existent in my area. I've been thinking about just getting an iPod Touch instead until AT&T coverage is better. The thing is I really want to have full calendar and notes functionality, along with email and a camera. Basically I want everything but the phone. Would everything but phone features be functional on an iPhone without signing up for AT&T?

Should I just lump it and get the iPod Touch and hope they start adding features later on?

Thanks

Get an iPod touch and hack the shit out of it
  • Reply 2 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Thanks

Well the SDK will be out next year so I'd expect a whole bunch of new software for both the Touch and the iPhone by next spring or summer. You might have to bide your time.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks

Sorry to say the iPhone is locked down hard without a contract with AT&T... I live in an area where my ols phone sucked and I have to say the iPhone makes it like they put a tower in my back yard. The cellular radio component seem to kick ass over the 8125 I previously had with AT&T... I would bite the bullett and get what you want and spend you money once instead of twice after all the iPhone and the iPod touch are the about same price.

Victor
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks

I wish I had this option as well, i would rather have the iPhone instead of the Touch because it lacks certain qualities the phone has. Oh well, the waiting game is the best.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I bought my ipod touch and I love it, but also right after I opened it and started playing with it I really considered buying an iphone as well, just because I want the phone version. it seems really unreasonable, but I'm trying to validate it somehow.. as soon as I get past reasoning to have to ipods of this quality I will buy it for sure

and a bag of money falls in my hands
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Just unlock it and use T-mobile.