Mac OS X 10.5 On G4 Cube!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello Everyone!

I know this is a current hardware and the G4 Cube is almost vintage now .

Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to install Mac OS X 10.5 on my old G4 Cube which has a 450mhz G4 Processor, 256mb ram and a 60gb hard drive!!! Here is how I did it.

All I did was take the hard drive out of the Cube, put it in my Power Mac G4 Digital Audio that has a Sonnet 1.6ghz Processor upgrade and I installed Mac OS X 10.5 through that machine which meet the Apple CPU Speed criteria of 867Mhz I believe. After the installation was finished, I booted the machine once to setup the username and password and other information. After that I took the hard drive out and installed it back into the cube and voila! Mac OS X 10.5 on an old G4 Cube!

Here are some pictures:

Here is another screen shot of the desktop!

Right now 10.5 is a little slow, but at the same time I only have 256mb of Ram in Cube at the moment and to make things worse I am pretty sure that it is only PC66 not even PC100 not PC13. I think I am going to get 3 sticks of 512mb PCC133 ram and see how that helps the machine, I also might install a better graphics card to see if that boost performance at all

I must admit I really surprised that 10.5 will even boot on the old G4 Cube, especially considering we I bought this computer, it had Mac OS X 10.0 on it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ^^^^^^ Cool!

What brave soul is going the try 10.5 on a G3 processor???
  • Reply 2 of 6
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

^^^^^^ Cool!

What brave soul is going the try 10.5 on a G3 processor???

I have two old G3 Blue iMacs sitting upstairs in storage . . .
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So would you say Leopard is faster or slower than Tiger on G4s?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

So would you say Leopard is faster or slower than Tiger on G4s?

Believe it or not, I would say Leopard is alot faster than Tiger. I have a theory about that also. Tiger introduced a whole new bundle of improvements and features to the Mac OS that 10.0 through 10.3 never saw.

SO with that being said, 10.5 is like the second coming of 10.4 What I mean by this is, Apple did introduce alot of new stuff with 10.5, like the Time Machine, 3D Dock, etc, however, Apple also learned from 10.4, and improved upon the technology that was already there.

I have always consider 10.0 through 10.3 to be like OS X 10, nothing dramatically changed, but alot of improvements to the UI and the underlining code of the OS.

Now when 10.4 came out, I really thought of it as OS X 11.0, because there were some many "new" features and UI changes, that it really was like a new operating system. Now 10.5 to me is like OS X 11.1, were Apple is perfecting the UI and adding more enhancements.

I also want to say that I really loved OS X 10.4, I thought it was and still is a FABULOUS Operating System, I never had problems with it and it ran faithfully for me for almost 2 years without a problem. I am hoping that I will share the same experience with OS X 10.5!

Sorry I know you were probably looking for a quick and simple answer, but I really felt like explaining myself!

Hope this helps!

-iGrant
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That is impressive! Just awesome.

Let us know of any improvements if you get to do the memory upgrade. I would think it'd be quite noticiable.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

That is impressive! Just awesome.

Let us know of any improvements if you get to do the memory upgrade. I would think it'd be quite noticiable.

Gotta wait for a pay check first , but yeah, I will post results as soon as I get them in!