Preview 4.0 QUESTIONS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently have loaded Leopard but have found some disappointing problems with Preview 4.0.

1. I used preview from Tiger in a law class where I can write text IN the PDF itself. Even though the text is big and bulky, (preview defaults at 13 pt. with yellow background and you can't change it without a hack) I like being able to print out the PDFs later with my notes next to the text I am talking about. This feature is no longer in the new preview for PDF documents! If it is I can not find it or get it to work. Instead there is a note feature.

2. How do you print your notes with the note feature? It prints the stupid little icon but not the notes that go with it or anything.

I know you can add text boxes to graphics but not a PDF!

Basically, how can I add text to a PDF directly on the new version of preview? Is it possible? I just want to enter a text box like I did on the old version. If not how do I print the notes I make and is that possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Go to Macupdate and look for Skim. It is by far the best PDF markup tool out there and it's free. If you set the preference to have it save your notes to a separate file, it can print your PDF with markups, without markups, and can save your notes as text completely separately of the PDF while tracking the location of the markup in the text. It can do highlighting, strikeouts, draw simple shapes, and allow text annotation in yellow "stickies".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texas Flood View Post

Go to Macupdate and look for Skim. It is by far the best PDF markup tool out there and it's free. If you set the preference to have it save your notes to a separate file, it can print your PDF with markups, without markups, and can save your notes as text completely separately of the PDF while tracking the location of the markup in the text. It can do highlighting, strikeouts, draw simple shapes, and allow text annotation in yellow "stickies".

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    when i try to add text to the pdf, for some reason skim unexpectedly quits every time. Maybe skim hasn't updated for Leopard, but either way it isn't working for me
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I was using preview today, opened a pdf I was manipulating on the previous version of Preview. Typed up notes with the note annotate feature even though all of the problems I mentioned above. When class was complete, went to save and it wouldn't save and I lost all I typed. When I download the original and open in 4.0, it saves fine. But if you are going to manipulate a PDF you have already worked on in the previous preview, it will not save correctly.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You're right - Skim has some pretty bad problems under Leopard. Hopefully it'll be updated soon.