Leopard can't change WORKGROUP!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else noticed that Leopard ignores changes to the windows workgroup? The upgrade to leopard deleted my workgroup setting and it doesn't seem possible to change back.

The workgroup is supposed to be changeable via: System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced... -> WINS -> Workgroup. However, changes seem to be discarded. The mac refuses to change from the default WORKGROUP workgroup. I've even shut down smb and made the changes but they still get discarded.

Is this the case for everyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    It was greyed on my computer as well, until I "unlocked" it by pressing the lock icon, and going back to WINS. Then I can rename it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The network preference pane is already unlocked. The problem isn't that the text field is unelectable. Instead, the problem is that what you type into the text field is forgotten as soon as the drop down sheet is closed by clicking OK button.

The same is true for entering the address of a WINS server. It doesn't stick. However, the rest of the advanced network setting are changeable.

Any idea where these settings should be getting written to. /etc/smb.conf doesn't seem to be it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The network preference pane is already unlocked. The problem isn't that the text field is unelectable. Instead, the problem is that what you type into the text field is forgotten as soon as the drop down sheet is closed by clicking OK button.

The same is true for entering the address of a WINS server. It doesn't stick. However, the rest of the advanced network setting are changeable.

Any idea where these settings should be getting written to. /etc/smb.conf doesn't seem to be it.

Download the OS X Server docs and see what's changed in 10.5. Those are available from under the Server subsection or in Support.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Has anyone else noticed that Leopard ignores changes to the windows workgroup? The upgrade to leopard deleted my workgroup setting and it doesn't seem possible to change back.

The workgroup is supposed to be changeable via: System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced... -> WINS -> Workgroup. However, changes seem to be discarded. The mac refuses to change from the default WORKGROUP workgroup. I've even shut down smb and made the changes but they still get discarded.

Is this the case for everyone?

I have noticed it. Very frustrating to go through this and have the workgroup name I supply discarded as soon as the OK button is pressed. So now my Leopard-upgraded Macs are invisible to the XP/Vista machines, and vice-versa. ARGGGH!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Eureka, i've found a fix!

The problem is that the "Automatic" location on leopard doesn't seem to let you edit these values. (At least on some installs)

The solution is to create a new location, duplicating the currently selected one. The new location will let you change the workgroup and WINS server.

I can now go back to my previously scheduled enjoyment of leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Eureka, i've found a fix!

The problem is that the "Automatic" location on leopard doesn't seem to let you edit these values. (At least on some installs)

The solution is to create a new location, duplicating the currently selected one. The new location will let you change the workgroup and WINS server.

I can now go back to my previously scheduled enjoyment of leopard.

Thanks, this does seem to work. I'll test it tomorrow with the network, but on my home system it does ok. What a brain-dead way to do this, however.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkuhn View Post

Thanks, this does seem to work. I'll test it tomorrow with the network, but on my home system it does ok. What a brain-dead way to do this, however.

As a follow up, it did work but not today. It has no persistence at all. i give up; any answers?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I was able to get it to be persistent by entering in a WINS server address. I do not have a Windows Server on the network, so I just used the IP address of my router.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doogald View Post

I do not have a Windows Server on the network

Of course, you do not need a Windows Server to have a WINS server defined. I meant to add that I do not have a persistent Windows box on my LAN, either - my daughter has a laptop and I use an XP VM in Parallels. But if you do have a Windows box you can use the IP address of that machine if you wish.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    guys... I've tried every solutions i've found in this and some other forums to let my leopard connected with windows PCs and i FOUND THE SOLUTION!

now i can:-

• browse for every computers (mac & pcs) on my network easily

• connect to every computer with clicking on the list on finder SHARED sidebar

what i did is:

• reinstall leopard update 10.5.1 ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...051update.html )

• reboot

• go to system preferences > network ...create a new location (automatic location will prevent you from changing the WINS details), then click APPLY

• now click advanced... on TCP/IP tab, turn off IPv6 configuration then APPLY

• now go to WINS tab, enter your workgroup name ( i've entered WORKGROUP on my mac ) and add a WINS server address ( i dont have a server so i enter my router ip address ) then click OK > APPLY

• reboot and my mac succesfully detects all macs and PCs on my network. They're also listed on my SHARED sidebar.