Leopard with chinks in its armour

almalm
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone familiar with firewalls willing to comment?

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/98120

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It's apalling?

I noticed my firewall defaulted to off, and promptly enabled it. However, the article suggests my MBP may still be vulnerable.

Inexcusable.

The 'average user' has no need to accept any incoming connections. It is DEAD EASY to design a firewall that drops all incoming connections, and yet they have failed at that. Weird.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Just found my firewall was open :O and some ports arnt being blocked. How do i make sure i am fully secure?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    So if one were to set the firewall to block all incoming connections (which apparently it still won't do), would it block normal traffic such as torrents or other downloading things such as web browsers and other safe apps? (I'm a networking n00b)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Why is there an option to automatically open safe files after download? This ought to be cut out of Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

So if one were to set the firewall to block all incoming connections (which apparently it still won't do), would it block normal traffic such as torrents or other downloading things such as web browsers and other safe apps? (I'm a networking n00b)

No. Incoming connections means connections originating from elsewhere*. In the cases you cite, you are requesting information, hence an outgoing conection.

* eg: running a server of some kind.