Windows on a mac - risks?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i know that most virus' out there affect windows so would that mean if I install Win, i'd need some anti-virus software for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Yes, if you plan on being connected to the internet, installing anti-virus software on Windows is a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wicked666 View Post

i know that most virus' out there affect windows so would that mean if I install Win, i'd need some anti-virus software for it?

Thanks

If you're running Windows on your Mac, via Boot Camp, you run the same risks as on a normal PC. Running Parallels would be safer, I'd guess, because it is an application running in OS X. However, I use Parallels and I did download AOL's free virus scanner, etc. just to be safe.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Running windows on a mac via bootcamp is _exactly_ the same as running windows on a normal PC. Take the same security precautions as you would normally.

Forget that the computer is built by apple because all that matters in terms of viruses what OS is being run. The underlying hardware makes zero difference.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thought so. Thanks guys. I've used Nod32 on my PC for the last few years and love it as it doesn't slow the machine at all (unlike norton!). Can't wait to get my first mac in the next couple of weeks!