Apple bumps MacBooks to Santa Rosa; offers 2.6GHz MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

That's only fair. We have to pay more for Molson beer.
  • Reply 22 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What's the sales tax situation in Canada? Is there any? Is it included in the $1249 price?

Tax is added at the till... same as the USA. Apple is screwing Canadians as they think they can get more money and we won't complain. I can understand a brick-and-mortar retailer having inventory purchased at old costs but we all know Apple ships online orders to Canada from the same place as the US orders ship so this is just Apple being greedy.

Even in iPod, Apple charges more in Canadian dollars than US dollars and the Canadian dollar is worth more. The only thing they have fixed is iTunes pricing...
  • Reply 23 of 162
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    "ComboDrive" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tears hair out . OMFG
  • Reply 24 of 162
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

It's a real shame that the base model still has only a combo drive and an 80 GB HDD. Why don't they use a slower and cheaper 1.8 GHz Core 2 and use the money saved to increase the HDD and Optical drive without sacrificing their precious margins?

I'm sure that most people would choose

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.

Doing this would kill the upgrade path because most customers would not opt for the $1299 model if the $1099 model had the Superdrive and larger hard drive.
  • Reply 25 of 162
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.

Yeah, but most people chose the mid-range model at $1299 for this reason and Apple makes an extra $200. Apple uses the DVD burner as a selling point for the up-sale. It's unfortunate but true. Same for the Mac mini.

I go for the low end and a $65 external burner.
  • Reply 26 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Tax is added at the till... same as the USA. Apple is screwing Canadians as they think they can get more money and we won't complain. I can understand a brick-and-mortar retailer having inventory purchased at old costs but we all know Apple ships online orders to Canada from the same place as the US orders ship so this is just Apple being greedy.

Even in iPod, Apple charges more in Canadian dollars than US dollars and the Canadian dollar is worth more. The only thing they have fixed is iTunes pricing...

They fixed the Leopard pricing, too.

B&M retailers are offered price-protection on goods that they recently purchased, in the case of new products being released and deprecating the ones they have in stock. I don't see why Apple can't sort this out.

Canadian consumers are getting savvy to the price differentials now, as there are constant news reports about it. I'm sure the Apple stores just across the border will be seeing an increase insales.
  • Reply 27 of 162
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    This is such a weirdish refresh, the Macbook Pro's and Macbook don't even appear "New to the Store" on the right side of the Apple Store. Weird....

Like the 2.6GHZ 15" though. MMMM *Aiolos thinks of how amazing the MBP's will be in 2 yrs, when he gets a new one.*
  • Reply 28 of 162
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

"ComboDrive" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tears hair out . OMFG

pathetic still combo drive!!!
  • Reply 29 of 162
    Perhaps, but the real issue for Apple is would doing what you suggest take sales from the other two more expensive Macbook models? Apple obviously would prefer to sell the more expensive models because the profit is higher.

In my view, you are right that your offering probably costs about the same and is more appealing. However, if Apple offered that, ask yourself: is the more expensive models really that attractive? If Apple configured the Mac Books as you suggest, I personally would opt for the cheaper model over the more expensive Macbooks because the only reason I would want the more expensive ones as offered now is because of the super drive.

I will be buying a Mac Book soon. It will be the middle model. The only reason will be because of the super drive. The speed between the three models is only minor, and the slowest one is way faster then the iBook I will be replacing. In my case, your suggestion would cost Apple about sixty dollars in profit because if Apple took your suggestion I would buy the low end model instead.

Quote:

It's a real shame that the base model still has only a combo drive and an 80 GB HDD. Why don't they use a slower and cheaper 1.8 GHz Core 2 and use the money saved to increase the HDD and Optical drive without sacrificing their precious margins?

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.

• Reply 30 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I agree, they should have DVD burners across the board by now even if it means sacrificing a small amount of CPU that people wouldn't even notice.

No redesign I notice like some rumor sites had pointed to.

The base model should have a Single-Layer DVD burner.

The higher models should have Dual-Layer DVD burners.

There is no excuse for not doing so by now.
  • Reply 31 of 162
    There is nothing wrong with plastic notebooks if made properly. The clam shell iBooks were probably some of the sturdiest notebooks ever made. However, in the case of the Macbook, I might agree with you. The iBook and the Mac Book are made from the same plastic. The casing from the outside seems identical.

Both the G3 and G4 iBooks suffered from a problem where the graphic chip would often separate from the logic board leaving you with a dead computer. This was because the plastic bottom of the iBook case was not sturdy enough to prevent the logic board from flexing when you put pressure on the casing. The flexing caused the solider on the graphic chip to break free from the logic board. If you used the notebook often on your lap, you were likely to suffer this problem. If you used it mostly on a desk, you probably were less likely to suffer the problem.

It is possible that the integrated chip set of Macbook solves this problem (I am not an engineer), but I would want to know first. Apple had to replace my iBook four times. On the fifth time it was out of warranty. Do a Google search, there are plenty of people who suffered through that problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yee, this is great!

But... when is a compact and sturdy macbook coming?

I refuse to buy a plastic notebook with a glass screen... feel like it's gonna break.

• Reply 32 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

pathetic still combo drive!!!

Rather than think of it as far far away from the top-of-the-line MacBook, think of it as very, very close to an ultraportable with no optical drive...
  • Reply 33 of 162
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Rather than think of it as far far away from the top-of-the-line MacBook, think of it as very, very close to an ultraportable with no optical drive...

you are the one who always sees Glass half full huh?
  • Reply 34 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

There is nothing wrong with plastic notebooks if made properly. The clam shell iBooks were probably some of the sturdiest notebooks ever made. However, in the case of the Macbook, I might agree with you. The iBook and the Mac Book are made from the same plastic. The casing from the outside seems identical.

Both the G3 and G4 iBooks suffered from a problem where the graphic chip would often separate from the logic board leaving you with a dead computer. This was because the plastic bottom of the iBook case was not sturdy enough to prevent the logic board from flexing when you put pressure on the casing. The flexing caused the solider on the graphic chip to break free from the logic board. If you used the notebook often on your lap, you were likely to suffer this problem. If you used it mostly on a desk, you probably were less likely to suffer the problem.

It is possible that the integrated chip set of Macbook solves this problem (I am not an engineer), but I would want to know first. Apple had to replace my iBook four times. On the fifth time it was out of warranty. Do a Google search, there are plenty of people who suffered through that problem.

The current MacBooks are pretty sturdy. Sure, I've seen what the schoolkids do to it, but a Black MacBook in a young adult or adult's regular work/ everyday use, it holds up quite well.

I always feel the MBP is somewhat flimsy when I feel it. But that's because I yearn for the good ol' days of the TiBook.

The Penyrn MacBookPros next year will be ultra-hella-slick and cool
  • Reply 35 of 162
    There really is no way to tell if Canadians are being screwed. For instance, when Apple buys the parts to make the MacBooks and pays the labor, this is generally done in one currency. Probably dollars, but maybe something else. If Apple paid in dollars when dollars were worth more then Canadian currency it would be making less money from Canadians if it charged the same price because the Canadian currency was worth less. Keep in mind many of these parts were probably paid for a long time ago.

Moreover, there are issues such as government taxes, levies, and shipping costs to consider. Finally, companies like Apple hardly ever adjust the pricing based on the short term fluctuation of the currency.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Canadians screwed on price:

US Store: $1099

Canadian Store: $1249

I thought the refresh would have brought about price parity on the MacBook. Guess not.

At today's (noon) nominal exhange rate of 1.0527, it should be $1044. Heh.

(Of course, the nominal rate is always a few points higher than what is offered to the consumer. So, an even price would be fair.)

• Reply 36 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The base model should have a Single-Layer DVD burner.

The higher models should have Dual-Layer DVD burners.

There is no excuse for not doing so by now.

Cheap $400, bargain-basement PC laptops have combo drives, but once you get past $500/600, they all come with dual-layer DVD burners. I haven't seen a single-layer DVD burner in laptops for a couple years.

My Toshiba was $700, but it came with a dual-layer burner (and yes, I've burned dual-layer discs with it). It makes it handy to make decently large backups.

I know profit margins are nearly everything with Apple, but come on now.

Although, I wished Apple would've announced the Macbooks with the x3100 back in July, I would've bought one then, and not think about getting a Mini to go along with my other PC's now. Even the cheap Mini should have a DVD burner, but I don't case as much, as I'll just put it on my home network.
  • Reply 37 of 162
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Cheap $400, bargain-basement PC laptops have combo drives, but once you get past $500/600, they all come with dual-layer DVD burners.

True, but they don't all come with dual-core Santa Rosa chips.
  • Reply 38 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Canadians screwed on price:

US Store: $1099

Canadian Store: $1249

I thought the refresh would have brought about price parity on the MacBook. Guess not.

At today's (noon) nominal exhange rate of 1.0527, it should be $1044. Heh.

(Of course, the nominal rate is always a few points higher than what is offered to the consumer. So, an even price would be fair.)

I was wondering: can a resident of Canada just have an order shipped to him/her from Apple's US website? Does Apple refuse to do so?

I presume it's possible to alter the default language to Canadian English or French.
  • Reply 39 of 162
    If I buy from Amazon, how do I know if I'm getting a "new" MacBook with Santa Rosa and Leopard?
  • Reply 40 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

Whilst the MacBook uses the same kind of plastic as the G4 iBook, the internal structure is very different. The MacBook is way, way, way sturdier. Like I said earlier, lots of internal bracing and a metal plate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

True, but they don't all come with dual-core Santa Rosa chips.

You mean Merom. Merom is the CPU (Core 2 Duo) and Santa Rosa is used to (incorrectly*) refer to the motherboard chipset.

* Santa Rosa is the code-name of the latest Centrino "platform". Apple does not use this in any of their laptops, as it includes Intel's wireless chips which Apple don't use. The Santa Rosa platform consists of Merom CPU, Mobile 965 Express chipset (code-named Crestline), GMA X3100 graphics, and the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (a/b/g/draft-n) mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter.

Strictly speaking, the MacBook Pro and MacBook should be referred to as "Crestline" machines rather than "Santa Rosa" machines.